Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

please merge this thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
Moving this to GG as this is no longer marketed at all as a RPG (even the official webiste no longer mentions or market's this as a RPG).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_3

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14235014.html

9t0g0l.jpg

http://www.ea.com/rpg

20k7hhc.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Moving this to GG as this is no longer marketed at all as a RPG (even the official webiste no longer mentions or market's this as a RPG).
a bunch of links

Those are all store/media links, and they basically categorize them by themselves. (I actually know something about this, I used to do it for a living). Again, why is there not one single mention of RPG or Role Playing Game on the Official Site? Seriously read it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
...why is there not one single mention of RPG or Role Playing Game on the Official Site? Seriously read it.
Because they didn't mind putting it in there? Because it's common knowledge that Bioware games are considered to be (A)RPGs?
Check EA's page: http://www.ea.com/mass-effect-3
Genre RPG, Action

That's exactly as I explained above. That is only a sales page, for selling EA's games. The genre they classify it under is merely cosmetic and it for sales only. Where on the official site for Mass Effect does it specifically market it as a RPG? I see nothing. If I missed something on there where it is specifically stated as a RPG, then please let me know.

racofer

Thread Incliner
...why is there not one single mention of RPG or Role Playing Game on the Official Site? Seriously read it.
Because they didn't mind putting it in there? Because it's common knowledge that Bioware games are considered to be (A)RPGs?
Check EA's page: http://www.ea.com/mass-effect-3
Genre RPG, Action

That's exactly as I explained above. That is only a sales page, for selling EA's games. The genre they classify it under is merely cosmetic and it for sales only. Where on the official site for Mass Effect does it specifically market it as a RPG? I see nothing. If I missed something on there where it is specifically stated as a RPG, then please let me know.
Electronic Arts' page classifies ME3 as an RPG. That's a store page.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mass Effect 3 has a "RPG mode" not an "Interactive Story" mode therefore Bioware still considers it a RPG.

Achilles

Arcane
But two thirds of the game (story mode, action mode) are not RPG. Therefore ME3 can be classified at best as an action game with RPG elements.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And two fairly recent articles:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...teresting-Mass-Effect-3-Gameplay-Details.html
With the first Mass Effect tipping the scales more towards the guise of pure RPG, Muzyka observed that Mass Effect 2 leaned more towards the realm of out and out shooter. "The second one was aimed more at the action or shooter side. This one is both. Both sides have been amped up really well," he said.
Muzyka then went on to comment on the impact of your decisions in Mass Effect 3, something that'll be even more significant apparently. "It's like Decision-making with a capital D," Muzyka commented. "Every time there was a big decision - when something bad happens and or good - something impactful happens with consequence when you make a decision. There's lots of them through the game, they all feel like, ‘Yeah that was appropriate, but holy shit! That was expected, but boy, that was hard. I'd still make the same decision, but boy that was interesting. That was compelling.' There are kinds of moments in the game that I think people will talk about years from now. It's a significant game in that respect."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...mes-and-unreal-engine-3-with-mass-effect-3/2/
But BioWare is also returning to its RPG roots with this game, so there will be a nice blend of action and role-playing.
“We really focused on building a deeper RPG experience that players remember from Mass Effect 1, and maybe thought was missing from Mass Effect 2,” said Hudson. “We added a lot of customization and a lot of the decision-making for players as they progress through the levels. For example, players can take their weapon and modify it by adding pieces they’ve found or purchased in the game. They can plug them in and physically see their weapon change and then have additional power when using it on a mission.”

I'd say there's enough "Mass Effect 3" and "RPG" word association to consider it marketed as a RPG.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:what: DU are you getting lulz out of this or what?
Jaesun I got a fun idea, go through all RPG-lite games and search their offical sites for any that does not mention RPG, then move all their threads to general gaming. Try Diablo 3 for starters.

Repressed Homosexual
Weren't these rules meant to avoid these tiresome semantics wars? UUUUUUUUUHHHH GUYS THIS GAME IS NOT 100% RPG

I don't know if Jaesun is playing dumb, but if he is that's just childish. This just looks like part of the will of people who would like every RPG to be either isometric and turn-based or first-person and step-based, either with simple graphics with PnP handbook-inspired art for character portraits. Jaesun always flames that this or that game isn't an RPG or isn't worthy of his time to ever be played so he musn't be surprised if we suspect that it's him being deliberately obtuse.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, we get it, we know what a fan you are of Deus Ex. :thumbsup:

I have always maintained the stance System Shock 2 and Deus Ex have cRPG elements and should be considered as RPG's. In fact, they have better cRPG elements than the shit we get today. But my voice and fight died years ago when it was decreed it IS NOT A RPG YOU FAGGOT many years ago.....

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, we get it, we know what a fan you are of Deus Ex. :thumbsup:

I have always maintained the stance System Shock 2 and Deus Ex have cRPG elements and should be considered as RPG's. In fact, they have better cRPG elements than the shit we get today. But my voice and fight died years ago when it was decreed it IS NOT A RPG YOU FAGGOT many years ago.....
:what:
I wanted rpg, they gave me non-rpg.
So you think it is some sort of conspiracy?
It is DU. He knows I wanted rpgs.

Bruticis

I thought he liked ME. Doesn't that make it an RPG?
He did like ME but now he's butthurt about some stupid something bioware has done (why would this be surprising to anyone) and is now looking for revenge the only way he knows how.....<insert ominous music here>

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You could say that Jaesun is taking this a bit...

...anally.

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom