Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please pay your bills on time, DU

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I went to the watch and read their comment thread on our top 10 rpg list, it was pretty funny.

Link?
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19856

Apparently voting for games that you like is having "bias" an "agenda" and "not objective". That was the biggest source of retardation, only a few wanted recent Bethesda and Bioware games included.

It doesn't seem like any of them have picked up on the fact that it's a tallying of votes from all users.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What a great thread to read while enjoying my Carl's Jr. cheeseburger and fries. Thanks!

:lol: That's a great thread indeed. Nothing like a list from RPGCodex to revive the carcass of RPGwatch and bring out the fun.

Why Morrowind but not Oblivion?

Fallout #1, really? There have been a bunch of post-apocalyptic games. At the time it may have been nearly unique, but we are talking about the greatest of all time not at that time. Let's keep some perspective here. The setting is boring and tired. Nothing really innovative there.

And the combat was tedious. Saying that companions don't count when they make combat excruciating tedious and bad is just a poor excuse for a bad design.

How come no Mass Effect

Dungeon Lords > Fallout 1

Icewind Dale is hack and slash and very transparent hub and spoke. It is nothing like the BG series really. I can't fathom why it is ranked so high. Then again I can't fathom why half this list is like it is other than its some nostalgic trip or part of the "you're an rpgnoob if you don't love Fallout 1" mindset. Many modern games are far more enjoyable including the less loved titles here such as Fallout 3, NWN2, Mass Effect series, Oblivion, Gothic 3 etc. I'd rank any Spiderweb title above Arcanum or Icewind Dale (but not BG). Really the BG's are the only thing here I agree with.

:hero:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
At the time it may have been nearly unique, but we are talking about the greatest of all time not at that time. Let's keep some perspective here. The setting is boring and tired. Nothing really innovative there.

FALLOUT IS RETROACTIVELY BORING AND TIRED :eek:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I went into that thread, read a few posts and was terrified. What a sorry bunch the Watch is. Shitting on Fallout? Really? What the fuck is wrong with those people? And people think that Codex is the cesspool? Well I'd rather be in a cesspool like the Codex, then in Popamole land on the Watch.

Pay the bills DU, because if we have to go back to the Watch again, like during Watchwitz, I will cut myself.

Mortmal

Arcane
i've read that too, no point arguing when people ask why mass effect isnt on the list and why fallout is on top..You can argue aboutt he order the titles are sorted on the list, but the top 5 deserves their ranks without any doubts.

Helton

Arcane
You know for over a decade I would type in RPGCODEX into my browser and the WATCH would pop up on my screen I was unsure what was real and what was nightmare but I never condescended to visit their forums. Some things are just too horrible.

Now I am a healthy law abiding codexian stooge again. FALLOUT IS GOD FALLOUT IS GOD!

Ahh. Home sweet home.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I went into that thread, read a few posts and was terrified. What a sorry bunch the Watch is. Shitting on Fallout? Really? What the fuck is wrong with those people? And people think that Codex is the cesspool? Well I'd rather be in a cesspool like the Codex, then in Popamole land on the Watch.

Pay the bills DU, because if we have to go back to the Watch again, like during Watchwitz, I will cut myself.

To be fair, most of the Fallout games are shit. Only Fallout 1 and Fallout: New Vegas (Specifically, factions and Dead Money) are worth a serious mention.

But, I digress.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Looks like everyone will have to go back to being numbers again for a while.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
That RPG Watch comments thread on our Top 10 is horrifying. Absolutely horrifying. That's like the RPG site for RPG fans whose favorite games include Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Dragon Age. I mean, I had heard it was bad before, but Jesus... sometimes you have to see to believe.

DU, I do not want to have to go there again. EVER.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like everyone will have to go back to being numbers again for a while.
I am not a number! I am a free man!

sUKgx4R.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
what happens today?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom