Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PnP /lfg /pst

Vatnik Wumao
Reviving this thread since I'd be interested as well. I'd be particularly interested in WFRP or Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War.

That being said, something like Numenera could be neat as well since it isn't that complex of a system and the setting is quite permissive as to preferences in tone and aesthetics.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've been wanting to try Dark Heresy for a while.
I'm up for it if so you are, lad. Just have to find a GM.
In my experience, there's about 20 players for every person willing to GM. If you really want to get a game going volunteer to run one. Do that long enough, well enough with a handful of people and usually people in that group will also step up and start offering to run games of their own (at least on a limited basis).

If you've never GMed a game there's shitloads of advice on how to run a one, but ultimately it's a learn-by-doing activity -- pick a system, learn it reasonably well, get some modules and some people willing to cut you some slack as you take your first fumbling steps. Also just accept that you are going to suck at it the first 10-20 times you do it. Make up for your awfulness with enthusiasm.

I started a play-by-post game here on the codex 3 or 4 years ago, that also turned into a separate online game with a few of those players that's been running for 2 or 3 years - the only way I could get a BRP/D100 game going.

If you want it build it . . . Especially non-D&D 5e.

catfood

AGAIN
I'm one of those weird people that doesn't like playing all that much, and instead prefers being a GM. I enjoy interpreting various NPC's and seeing how players react to the situations that I put them through.

Vatnik Wumao
In my experience, there's about 20 players for every person willing to GM. If you really want to get a game going volunteer to run one. Do that long enough, well enough with a handful of people and usually people in that group will also step up and start offering to run games of their own (at least on a limited basis).

If you've never GMed a game there's shitloads of advice on how to run a one, but ultimately it's a learn-by-doing activity -- pick a system, learn it reasonably well, get some modules and some people willing to cut you some slack as you take your first fumbling steps. Also just accept that you are going to suck at it the first 10-20 times you do it. Make up for your awfulness with enthusiasm.

I started a play-by-post game here on the codex 3 or 4 years ago, that also turned into a separate online game with a few of those players that's been running for 2 or 3 years - the only way I could get a BRP/D100 game going.

Well, since English isn't my first language, I don't think I'd do a good job as a GM. While I can speak just fine and what not, flowery and descriptive language isn't my strong suit.
I'm one of those weird people that doesn't like playing all that much, and instead prefers being a GM. I enjoy interpreting various NPC's and seeing how players react to the situations that I put them through.
Would be great. So whatcha say, ork?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane

Well, since English isn't my first language, I don't think I'd do a good job as a GM. While I can speak just fine and what not, flowery and descriptive language isn't my strong suite.
Flowery language is not necessarily a good thing. You just need to be able to set a scene, create some NPCs with their own motives and create some crises that your players have to respond to.

Short of that, do you have any friends in the meat world that might want to play? That might be your best bet if you're not confident running a game in English with random assholes on the internet.

Good luck.

hello friend

Arcane
In my experience, there's about 20 players for every person willing to GM.
Yep.
Thinking of starting any new campaigns any time soon? I'd certainly be interested.

Honestly, I'd probably be willing to GM a railroaded module. I haven't GMed before, so I think I'd like to do a short and somewhat predictable run before starting a sandbox campaign.

catfood

AGAIN
Sorry guys, but I already have a gaming group. Plus I don't know how to play these WH games. I tend to stick to simpler systems.

Why don't you start GM'ing on your own? It's not that difficult. Pick an easy system like the ones that I mentioned in the OSR thread, read the rules (most of which you already know if you've played any D&D CRPG) and run a short pre-made module. Really, it's not rocket science..

I can GM a oneshot or a short (2-4 sessions) test campaign if everyone is okay with playing really gay indie 2d6 systems I guess. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can provide a list of systems that work well for beginners in my experience. I usually do small groups (2-4 players) so should be pretty easy to set up.

hello friend Blagorod Voevod

Vatnik Wumao
I can GM a oneshot or a short (2-4 sessions) test campaign if everyone is okay with playing really gay indie 2d6 systems I guess. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can provide a list of systems that work well for beginners in my experience. I usually do small groups (2-4 players) so should be pretty easy to set up.

I'd be interested.

hello friend

Arcane
Why don't you start GM'ing on your own? It's not that difficult. Pick an easy system like the ones that I mentioned in the OSR thread, read the rules (most of which you already know if you've played any D&D CRPG) and run a short pre-made module. Really, it's not rocket science..
Dude, I just said:
Honestly, I'd probably be willing to GM a railroaded module. I haven't GMed before, so I think I'd like to do a short and somewhat predictable run before starting a sandbox campaign.

I'm game.

catfood

AGAIN
Dude, I just said:

I'm game.
Yeah, I know, it wasn't directed at you, but in general for people who are scared of running a game.

Mortmal

Arcane
From wich timezones are you all from ? Wayward Son could DM for us some 5e eventually . Too hard for me to DM in English as well, except railroaded scenarios and no one wants that.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Whoa whoa whoa, I said I might be able to at some point, don't get people's hopes up on my behalf.

Cool name

Arcane
I must divide my ratings for this post into 3.
In my experience, there's about 20 players for every person willing to GM.
Agree.

If you really want to get a game going volunteer to run one.
Yes!

Do that long enough, well enough with a handful of people and usually people in that group will also step up and start offering to run games of their own (at least on a limited basis).
Fabulously Optimistic.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Do that long enough, well enough with a handful of people and usually people in that group will also step up and start offering to run games of their own (at least on a limited basis).
Fabulously Optimistic.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've played in three long running groups and it happened in two of the three; there's always one primary GM, but people who like playing more than just one kind of game usually have to step up and offer to run it if they ever want to make any use of those non-D&D books they buy.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Whoa whoa whoa, I said I might be able to at some point, don't get people's hopes up on my behalf.
But you said it! Although , dont worry i pretty much understood it will be never, as usual, it will be extremely hard to get some codexers hopes up tbh.....

catfood

AGAIN
Fabulously Optimistic.
Yeah, this never happens in my experience. Players are very reluctant of picking up the mantle of GM, especially when they know that there's someone else who is always willing to fulfill that role. Heck, they won't even do it if there's no one willing to do it. With my group we had a 1 year hiatus and recently they approached me asking when we are going to play again, and that they kept talking to each other all summer about P&P. When I asked why they didn't start their own game they didn't know what to answer. Bear in mind that three of them live in the same city on a uni campus of all things! It would have been extremely easy for them to start a new group but they simply didn't.

We've set up a Cthulhu Dark oneshot this weekend. Also had ideas for a larger campaign using Dungeon World + Sundered World - may come back to Codex to recruit if in need of more players at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom