Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Leave them dude, they live in their own little world, they truly think a studio based in California is going to survive with slow burners, but why do we lie to ourselves, this game is a total failure, it will be hardstuck between 250k-400k for a long ass time, with discounts included.
But I don’t think they will fail to survive, to be honest. Not at this point. They adopted a business model that makes them imortal like Jason Voorhees. They always find a publisher that is stupid enough to give them all the money they need and then some. They cook the books. They can have massive layoffs when they don’t have a publisher and hire more people afterwards when needed. The owners take all the profits. They can keep doing this for an eternity. The real question is why some people are still attached to their image of Obsidian despite tons of evidence that they are dishonest and untalented hacks? Obsidian is the ship of Theseus: you can change all the good developers for hacks and their fanboys still think is the same studio doing the same thing. It is not. Your ideal of Obsidian is dead, fanboys. It was already dead for a long time and now they need to face the reality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sales numbers alone don't prove the game is good or bad, so we can't infer from that whether they are talentless hacks. The writers certainly are, and the management is unprofessional to an extreme, but it might still provide some challenging and interesting fights once a bazillion patches are applied. What sales numbers do prove is that no matter how much they add popamole elements like romances, full VA, removal of the strategic layer and all that jazz, they still couldn't bring in a wider audience and they failed to retain fans from 1, which is more damning than anything else.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What sales numbers do prove is that no matter how much they add popamole elements like romances, full VA, removal of the strategic layer and all that jazz, they still couldn't bring in a wider audience and they failed to retain fans from 1
Tbh I think at this point this general scenario is 102% obvious to anyone who is not a complete retard or/and game dev/publisher.

Xeon

Augur
Sorry but what was the strategic layer in PoE1?

Yeah, I think almost everyone already figured out that PoE2 isn't a success after the first couple of weeks. For romances and VA I think they tried to copy DOS2 but not sure if it was ok there because it was a joke or something or maybe it also wasn't liked there by romance players, I think someone said romances in DOS2 has the narrator narrates the sex scenes or something, that feels more of a joke than it being serious.

For VO, streamers and Reddit and even on Steam seems well liked, so I guess that was a plus but not good enough to bring sales also since PoE2 didn't do well, wonder if the next game if there is one will people expect it to also be full VO or what.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sorry but what was the strategic layer in PoE1?

The semi-Vancian casting. It generated a lot of butthurt from people who thought they were forced by the game to backtrack for more supplies, instead of, you know, playing better, so they incised that little nuisance with a butcher's cleaver.

Krzysiek

Learned
Before a game will be on sales a very good estimate of sales on Steam is (number of users reviews) x (60-80) which for Deadfire give us about 96 000 - 128 000 copies sold. This is the method which stock analyst use to determine sales in first days after realase (even in the days when SteamSpy worked it began to be accurate 3-4 days after game realase). This method stops working after first sales because then more people buy the game but don't play it so also don't write reviews.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Lots of spiteful cunts in this thread :lol:

I for one will wait this out until things are patched, maybe even until the DLCs are out. I got time, got plenty of other games to play.

One sure thing though is that when Obsidian falls over this despite delivering an improvement over the first title, the outlook for rennaissance style rpgs will be a lot more bleak than they were before.
Atleast you guys will have plenty of sparetime then to gush over Todd Howards next crushing success when he announces that Elder Scrolls 6 sold 30 million copies in 3 days

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
I still think it was a better game then original sin 2. Problems are that there too much repetitive content with bounty's and the game felt too short outside of neketaka. Would of been better if they cut voice acting and expanded their efforts elsewhere. Sequels in general sell like shit. Honestly I have no idea why original sin 2 sold so well sven must of called up a lot of his eurofag buddies in their flats. Sawyer doesn't have that level of fag charisma powers yet but obsidian's getting there.

There still pathfinder kingmaker to look forward to this summer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
30+ pages of retards second guessing the competences of people who design games and manage a company more or less poorly for 15+ years.

Not one of the know-it-alls forked a few dollars to peek into the steamspy restricted data.

Thanks for the "sales analysis", do carry on :D

Xeon

Augur
I think Infinitron said something about asking DU for a budget to pay Steamspy or something.

Bohr

Arcane
Didn't Morality Games say he had access to it, earlier in the thread?

Bocha

Novice
steamspy doesn't work anymore, even if you pay, in the way that private policies block the number of hours played and the games obtained, I don't know if they can re-estimate sales accurately

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lots of spiteful cunts in this thread :lol:

I for one will wait this out until things are patched, maybe even until the DLCs are out. I got time, got plenty of other games to play.

One sure thing though is that when Obsidian falls over this despite delivering an improvement over the first title, the outlook for rennaissance style rpgs will be a lot more bleak than they were before.
Atleast you guys will have plenty of sparetime then to gush over Todd Howards next crushing success when he announces that Elder Scrolls 6 sold 30 million copies in 3 days
Hmmm,don't be like that mate. Deadfire is pretty bad game,and i am kind of happy that it sold badly. I would be happy if the game makes even,maybe that way it will give a little bit of wake call to Obsidian. They could even hire some good writers. I know that it is a fabulous optimism but meh,hope dies last. I don't want for Obsidian to shut down,i want to see good game from them.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmmm,don't be like that mate. Deadfire is pretty bad game,and i am kind of happy that it sold badly. I would be happy if the game makes even,maybe that way it will give a little bit of wake call to Obsidian. They could even hire some good writers. I know that it is a fabulous optimism but meh,hope dies last. I don't want for Obsidian to shut down,i want to see good game from them.

...Deadfire is a pretty bad game that you pirated and played to completion. I’m always stunned when people can put 30-60 hours into something they strongly dislike when there’s not even any prospect of getting laid at the end. I can’t even go shopping for more than three or four hours even with some sweet booty at the end of the rainbow. Ninety percent of the people who paid for POE didn’t even finish it, so I guess you liked Deadfire more than they liked POE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you insane? What's dishonorable here - you subscribe for something for one month. Jesus.
Oh, I thought you meant using the service for a month and then cutting when it's time to pay. Anyway, it's much too early for that. Maybe it's something I'll look into during the first big discount or right before the first paid DLC drops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom