Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Flou

Arbiter
To get this thread back on track:

Deadfire is nearing Battletech on the top selling list on GOG. Page 38 with just few games between them.
Any idea how many copies Battletech has sold on GOG?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We never have concrete numbers for GOG. I think it's always something like 10-15% of Steam sales. Just goes to show how people like to get fucked in the ass by DRM and all that jazz.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is it safe to say Dumpsterfire and Battletech sold similarly?

On Steamspy Battletech is 2x of Dumpsterfire estimated, but that would mean that Dumpsterfire has higher % sales GoG, relative to Steam sales, than Battletech, which might make sense if/(since?) GoG = more oldschooley?

Any idea how Battletech vs Dumpsterfire looks in the budget department?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I would say it's probably a net loss even with their figstarter budget. Especially since how Josh talked about spending from their pocket to expand the game and they are adding FLC as well. It seems like Josh doesn't want to be a lead director anymore.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
We never have concrete numbers for GOG. I think it's always something like 10-15% of Steam sales. Just goes to show how people like to get fucked in the ass by DRM and all that jazz.
It's possible to have an idea : you need to look at this page ( https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1&as=1649904300 ) and find its page. Then, if you happen to know the number of copies a nearby title sold, then it sold around as much. For instance, Primordia sold around 40 000 copies on GOG and is on the fourth page of this list. POE 1, Dragonfall and DOS all sold more than that.
If you find the page of Battletech and Deadfire, do tell, there might be a way to tell based on steamspy or nearby titles. One important thing though : this class titles by number of copies, not by revenue, like the first page, and new titles makes the most revenue, but the fewer copies. Also, for both of those titles, there are two entries that needs to be found, the normal and the deluxe one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, if you have concrete numbers for another title and compare where it is on that page, but it's still not very accurate. Also, does that mean Heroes 3 is the best selling game on GOG?

#oppressed

Identity politics at their best.

Last edited:

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Yes. Heroes 3 is currently the best selling game, but we are talking millions of copies here. That's what each the witcher has sold on GOG.

I've found both Battletech and Deadfire on the same 38 page, near mighty titles like Eden the VN or :( Telepath Tactics. BT has double the reviews of Deadfire though, probably because tons of backers chose GOG instead of steam. I'd say that they didn't sell more than a couple of thousand copies, excluding preorder and deluxe edition, at the very best.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Dumpsterfire's player count is 1/3 of its release size now, currently less than DIVOS2 and only slightly more than double that of Tyranny.

AwesomeButton

A recent reconsideration of the widely-accepted view that the raison d’être of the Ottoman emirate was the pursuit of ‘holy war’ has concluded that it was, rather, a ‘predatory confederacy’ comprising Muslim and Christian warriors alike, whose goal was ‘booty, plunder and slaves, no matter the rhetoric used by its rulers’.28 In this confederacy, the hypothesis continues, Turcoman fighters were in the minority: the rapid pace of conquest required willing and indiscriminate acceptance of large numbers of Christians into the Ottoman fold to meet the shortage of manpower available to create and administer the fledgling state.29 The religion of the early Ottoman Muslims was not exclusive: oral traditions which sang the deeds of the heroes of the marches recorded not only that co-operation between Muslim fighters and Byzantine Christians was frequent, but that intermarriage was not uncommon.30 That the Christian population of the north-west Anatolian marches continued to practise their religion freely is attested to in the letters of Gregory Palamas, Archbishop of Thessalonica, who travelled through the area in 1354 as captive of the Ottomans. 31 Eminent Byzantines, moreover, found employment at the Ottoman court, both in Orhan’s time and into the early sixteenth century.32

The death of Emperor Andronicus III in 1341 plunged Byzantium into civil war. Emir Umur Bey of Aydın and the Emir of Saruhan had earlier helped him with their navies to ward off Latin attacks on Byzantine possessions in the Aegean and Umur Bey now took the side of Andronicus’ successor and regent for his young son, his trusted adviser John VI Cantacuzenus. Umur Bey’s growing military and naval power and alliance with John enabled him to raid into the Balkans. This prompted a western crusade which in 1344 burnt his outlet to the sea, the fortress and port of İzmir (Smyrna). 45 The Ottomans also formed an alliance with the new emperor when Orhan married John’s daughter Theodora in a splendid ceremony in 1346.46 These events in Thrace precipitated the abdication of Emperor John VI Cantacuzenus in favour of his son Matthew, who ruled briefly before being succeeded by Andronicus III’s son John V Palaeologus.

When Orhan’s youngest son Halil, still only a child, was captured by Genoese pirates in 1357, the new emperor became involved in delicate negotiations to engineer his ransom and release, thus bringing the Byzantines some respite: the next two years saw little advance on the Ottoman frontier. John Palaeologus, aspiring to unite Byzantine and Ottoman territories, married his daughter Irene to Halil – in the hope that Halil would succeed his father as, under the Ottoman system where each son theoretically had an equal chance of succeeding, he might have done. But the plan came to nothing, for it was Halil’s older brother Murad who took their father’s place.

axedice

Cipher
Conclusion, move Obsidian headquarters to Turkey.

So that they can produce diverse gems like this?

main-qimg-833ead44525cece39f7f0522b8c7699a-c

Flou

Arbiter
Woo! Page 37, Deadifre has now sold more copies than Mafia III and Battletech on GOG. Though Battletech is now chasing Deadfire. Tune in tomorrow for an another update! (please don't)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Battletech was better marketed, I think. Deadfire seems to be selling better on GoG than on Steam.

Flou

Arbiter
Battletech was better marketed, I think. Deadfire seems to be selling better on GoG than on Steam.

It's easier to get a spotlight on GOG than it is on Steam. Deadfire is still on the 1st page on Steam and I don't know if it was at all on the featured&recommended on Steam. Who even checks the global top sellers unless they are looking how well a game doing? Top sellers list is clearly visible on GOG and you see it right away when you browse their page.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Deadfire is still on the 1st page on Steam and I don't know if it was at all on the featured&recommended on Steam
It was though only for a day or two, some time before release.
Who even checks the global top sellers unless they are looking how well a game doing?
That's true. People have related games lists, wishlists, queues, etc.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I hope they can hold onto their 80% rating until the summer sale. It's a pretty significant threshold and it's tight right now.

Also:
For instance, Primordia sold around 40 000 copies on GOG and is on the fourth page of this list.
Can cross being a standard candle off my to-do list.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, it's not just that sales are poor, the user score has been consistently tanking since release. And hilariously it's all those changes that were meant to make Deadfire more digestible for mass market, that are universally met with bad reception and negative reviews.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think the user score is stabilizing. It might hold at 80%, which is an important threshold. (Not as important as 70%, which sadly TTON is perpetually just under, but still important.)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Do people actually really give a fuck about the percentages, I literally only glance at overall score to see if its positive or mixed.

Depends what range we're talking. I don't really give a shit if something is 70 or 75 or 80 or 85. But overwhelmingly positive rating definitely catches the eye.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yeah, it's not just that sales are poor, the user score has been consistently tanking since release. And hilariously it's all those changes that were meant to make Deadfire more digestible for mass market, that are universally met with bad reception and negative reviews.

What are the changes for mass market you speak of? I dont like the sound of that. Haven't really follow it much but figured I would play eventually. POE I enjoyed but didn't love it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Now that all the BeamGarbage is on discount, it will be interesting to see if this will increase sales for Deadfire through the "games similar to this" and other similar features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom