Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Police Stories - top-down SWAT

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/262888687/police-stories-pc-mac-and-linux-free-alpha-include

http://policestoriesgame.com

Free alpha available: http://policestoriesgame.us16.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=92f10052c904b5ab5e19ade6e&id=d19dcfa996

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/06/police-stories/

Police Stories has a free alpha and a lot of potential

ps4.jpg

There’s always a risk in putting out a feature-incomplete early alpha. Will it leave potential purchasers coming away with the impression that it doesn’t yet meet their hopes, or will it inspire people to imagine where it could go? That’s the gamble developers Mighty Morgan are taking with Police Stories [Steam page] – a top-down police tactics shooter that wants you to think, albeit for a split second, before you shoot.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Police Stories for a few months, as best I could for a game whose developer doesn’t even appear to have its own website. The Steam page pops up with new information now and then, following its clearing through Greenlight back in January, for months promising an alpha that last week finally appeared. Accompanied, perhaps inevitably, by a Kickstarter campaign.

The reason it first caught my eye was the gorgeously Amiga-ish pixel presentation, immediately reminding me Bitmap Brothers games, perhaps even a retro version of GTA, and as Adam points out, DreamWeb. Then the description – a game in which you play a pair of cops who have to burst into buildings, thinking fast about how to handle break-ins, hold-ups and hostage situations. Arcadey, but without its all being about a blaze of bullets. As the game’s slogan says, “Shooting first is not an option.”

ps2.jpg

That’s not quite right. In the couple of levels available in this alpha build, while firing unprovoked loses you points and is clearly frowned upon, shooting first is pretty crucial. And not unreasonably so – often times the enemies you meet are stood facing toward you, pointing a gun at your head. Like it or not, that’s when a policeman tends to fire first. It’s shoot first, or die first. But it’s still a different prospect, not quite what I was expecting. It’s testament to the potential here that what it actually is remains interesting without that imagined prospect of perhaps finding deathless ways to finish a level.

ps6.jpg

It’s most especially enjoyable because of the one thing it delivers perfectly – not knowing who’s in a room until they reach your line of sight. It makes it immediately very different from the game people might think of first when seeing a top-down shooter like this – Hotline Miami. Here you don’t know who’s going to be behind a door before you’ve opened it, taking the cone-of-view approach more familiar in stealth games, but at a faster pace. It instantly creates that cop show moment of bursting through a door, taking in the scene, then needing to charge in to check the corners.

And with a second cop to command, you can attempt some manoeuvres to keep both of them alive. Which is tricky. Very tricky. Death comes fast. But fortunately, so does a restart, utterly instantaneous. You’re no bullet sponge, and one or two shots will see you dead. You have to make judgement calls extremely quickly. Kick open a door and you’ve only got split seconds to notice if a suspect is pointing his gun at you already and react, or not and take a different approach. Fire when he’s not about to shoot you and your score drops fast, but hesitate when he is and you’ll likely be restarting the level.

To reach the second level in the demo you need to do a perfect run on the first, and I became obsessed over getting this right – that’s always a good sign. Once unlocked, it reveals an even tougher, and better mission, with a time limit, bombs to defuse, and criminals to interrogate for codes. The idea of a game packed with a couple of dozen of these levels becomes quite the attraction.

ps5.jpg

There is obviously much that I’d love to see here, and this where that gamble I mentioned at the start takes place. First impressions make a big difference, and that’s especially true when you make that first impression available to the public. There’s both the issue that people will form an impression, no matter how much you underline that this is an early build, an example of potential features, and so on. And there’s the corollary to that: that if you give people a taste and tell them it’ll be so much more, you set them free to create their own expectations.

Immediately, I’d love for there to be a way to have a suspect give up their gun by sneaking up behind them, gun poked in their back, and demanding they drop their weapon, and that seems like the sort of thing that surely will be in a finished version of the game. It’s not yet. And the colour-coding for enemies – green are always unarmed civilians, light blue carry shotguns, etc – is a little too much, makes things a little too predictable. However, it’s brilliant that this doesn’t predict behaviour, and you’ll already see the guys in black, always armed with a pistol, occasionally spontaneously throwing down their weapon on seeing you, rather than always opting for a firefight. More than anything, however, I can’t wait for the AI to improve, for enemies to react to cries of “GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!” which they currently definitely do not. Oh, and one other rather big problem – right now you default to a pairing of a black and white cop, you playing the white guy. If the black cop dies, you can carry on – if your guy dies, you start over. I’m sure completely unintentional, but still really icky.

Oh, and because I’m five, I love that walking through a downed enemies blood means you leave ghoulish red footprints for a few steps.

ps1.jpg

So much is already in place, albeit in a relatively threadbare demo. I especially love how one wrong move blows an entire mission, say having meticulously taken out or arrested everyone right up until the final room (numbers, types and positions of enemies changes each time you play), and then forgotten to check behind a door and getting blatted. It’s cruel, and always your own fault.

I think the gamble pays off. This sliver of game has occupied me all afternoon, despite being only two levels, and I really enjoy how it feels. I imagine much depends on their Kickstarter being a success, although it’s asking for a modest $25,000. I’m taken enough now to want to see that happen. I shall keep you posted with the game’s progress.

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
I just experienced a strong nostalgic moment. A longing for the days when I'd enter such thread and was not immediately tempted to close it in disappointment when I read the word "Kickstarter".
Ah, nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

orcinator

Liturgist
I thought this would be Door Kickers but without taking down every scrub as soon as you see em, but it's actually a one dude thing.

Eh

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's homage, and then there's outright lifting things from Hotline Miami.

Not that I mind, it's a good game to rip-off from.

hellbent

Augur
In addition to Hotline Miami and DoorKickers, it seems to be borrowing heavily from The Masterplan.

HM and DoorKickers were good games, but if it has weak controls and linear (ie, one solution only) maps like Masterplan, then this will be a pass.

sser

Arcane
Developer
In addition to Hotline Miami and DoorKickers, it seems to be borrowing heavily from The Masterplan.

HM and DoorKickers were good games, but if it has weak controls and linear (ie, one solution only) maps like Masterplan, then this will be a pass.

It looks a lot like The Masterplan with a SNES aesthetic similar to the True Lies movie-game tie in.*

*Speaking of which. I played that on the SNES when it came out. A good friend of mine played it with me. When he went home, he said his parents beat him for playing such a mature game (he had uber Christian parents) :lol:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just bought, going to try it out tonight. 10% off on steam for the first week or so, so it's $13.49 before tax. It looks like a mix of hotline miami with the more methodical thought out tactics of Swat 4. Excited.

McPlusle

Savant
Anyone played this? It's on sale right now but I've gotten burned by games trying to throw back to great classics (such as Swat in this case) so many times that I don't even know if it'll be worth the buy-refund process.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyone played this? It's on sale right now but I've gotten burned by games trying to throw back to great classics (such as Swat in this case) so many times that I don't even know if it'll be worth the buy-refund process.
As a SWAT fan (played every single game in the franchise), I don't like top-down camera games. I'd buy it straight away if it was more influenced by SWAT: 2, though.

ss_792e3f18591021bce464cd638df898a74208160e.1920x1080.jpg

Üstad

Arcane
Nice time killer. Also tasers don't work just like in real life, very realistic game. I'm also enjoying classic cop movie vibe, they could have be very childish or the game trying to take itself too seriously. Story barely matters but still it's nice to have complimentary story, cool vibe and not getting cringe.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Do you get to make up crimes and frame people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom