Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll - Best Obsidian game so far

Best Obsidian game so far?

• Total voters

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm really debated about TSL. On one hand, the game made and released by Obsidian is utter shit, actually worse than kotor1 (haters gonna hate), on the other hand it turns into fucking awesome (and I would vote it as my favourite) once the restoration project is taken into account. In the end, it doesn't really feel right to me to vote TSL as the "Best Obsidian Game so far", as the game's merits can only be appreciated thanks to the fans/modders.

Tl;dr - Poll should say "Un-restored TSL". :M

Starwars

Arcane
Do you really feel the restoration project turns it from terrible to awesome? I just can't relate to that at all, especially as some of the content it does add is fucking terrible. The gauntlet on Nar Shadaa, or the HK factory. I mean, HK factory has some funny lines but it is *terrible* gameplay-wise... like, beyond awful. I mean, there are plenty of improvements, don't get me wrong, and it definitely "heals" certain aspects of the game. But, eeh...

I must say that I'm surprised at how many codexers seem to embrace/disregard the shitty gameplay and other very dubious design-decisions (forcing NPCs upon you and forcing you into a pupil role under Kreia). The story is not good enough to excuse all the shittiness (which is pretty much everything *but* the story/writing). I don't get it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never played Kotor 2 with this restoration project and I enjoyed it a lot with just official patches. It is not best game ever but it is still pretty good.

xTensai

Literate
Well i really liked most of them but had to go with Fallout New Vegas because i have played it for 300 hours.

DeepOcean

Arcane
With exception of Pillows of Eternity, Never Win Nights 2 and Dung Siege 3, the rest of the Obsidian games are pretty entertaining.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Obsidian is made for one thing and one thing only, orgasmic storyfaggotry. Ergo, Mask of the Betrayer wins in a landslide.

Voted Alpha Protocol.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I must say that I'm surprised at how many codexers seem to embrace/disregard the shitty gameplay

I know man, can't stand Gamebryo either (I think I might be allergic to it) and I played some real winners in the past when it comes to the FPS genre.

The story is not good enough to excuse all the shittiness (which is pretty much everything *but* the story/writing). I don't get it.

Depends on whom you ask, for me story, characters and various ways in which you can influence and affect your crew were definitely enough to carry the game. In addition to that, it has some nice C&C in places, one of the few decent crafting systems and was overall the game that came closest to PST's feel and atmosphere until MotB came out. Also, it deconstructs (in interesting ways) a very famous and familiar setting which has it's own appeal. Sure, it has a rushed ending (and a lot of cut content overall), plenty of corridor level design, banal easy combat etc. but it definitely has its strengths.

P.S. I also don't really have a high opinion on Restoration project, I usually play the game without it. It adds too many derpy things like most amateur "restored content" mods, not everything was cut out of the game due to time constraints (some things are better off just not being in it).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I must say that I'm surprised at how many codexers seem to embrace/disregard the shitty gameplay and other very dubious design-decisions (forcing NPCs upon you and forcing you into a pupil role under Kreia).
I really didn't mind the Kreia thing (I'd consider your relationship with her as one of the strengths of the game, actually, forced or not), but I agree on the rest. The pacing is horrendously bad at times, many locations are disappointing at best with poorly-structured quests or parts that are obviously unfinished, the combat is brainless and easier than in any Obsidian game I've played (including PoE) and the encounter design is nonexistent with repetitive trash mobs everywhere. Even the storytelling is often disrupted by elements that I absolutely hated, like showing you events that your character isn't supposed to be aware of, or forcing you to take control of characters that aren't even in your party yet so that all mystery about them and their loyalties is killed instantly. There are quite many aspects where the game is actually worse than the original KotOR, even though the writing makes it the superior game of the two.

The story is not good enough to excuse all the shittiness (which is pretty much everything *but* the story/writing). I don't get it.
I think the writing and the characters are enough to carry the game up to a certain point, as they really are exceptionally good at parts, but in the end it's hard to praise them that much when so many things were left without a proper payoff. Unlike MotB, which is an actually great game with the focus on story and characters, KotOR2 just gives you a bad case of blue balls.

naossano

Cipher
Nikaido >
That type of quest was obviously designed with fast travel teleport in mind.
By doing it once you explored all map, it is just a matter of teleport to npc x then npc y, etc... Going all over the gameworld in less than 15 minutes.
I am not sure they would send you to so much npc/locations twice for so random task if there was an actual travel system instead of that teleport.
It is also meaningless lore-wise. How these guys couldn't afford to visit all their buddies if seeing all those guys is that quick ?

You get to do that quest, and others in the same vein (such as the brotherhood of fags) way before you've explored enough to instant teleport everywhere. But even with instant teleport, at the base rhythm of walking (this is no abstracted isometrics. You can feel the pain in quite a few NCR locations like Camp McCarfag, and that location had to drag like half of all NCR quests. No, FAST TRAVEL DOES NOT fix all the long walking around you have to do in places like that particular camp.) and the way the game is built, most of those quests would still be a boring drag even if they gave you all map teleports from the beginning.

Would you actually bother to go to ten location at all the edge of the worldmap for such a minor task before you explored the whole map ?
Anyway, if the quest was a walking quest instead of a teleport quest, the locations would have been closer, and that walking more sustainable.
The problems with McCarran, IMO, isn't that you have to walk to quest giver, but that many quest require you to go far and rely on the teleport, which is way worse than walking.

Lhynn

Arcane
I never hurried to complete any quest on FNV, i knew my travels would take me to the destination eventually anyway.

imweasel

I am torn between New Vegas and MotB.

The mechanics in FNV are pretty shitty, the UI is god awful and the map compression makes the map (a large portion of Arizona and Nevada) feel like an amusement park, so MotB got my vote because it is objectively the better RPG. Although FNV is still a great game despite all of this obvious shittiness.

With exception of Pillows of Eternity, Never Win Nights 2 and Dung Siege 3, the rest of the Obsidian games are pretty entertaining.
"Pillows of Eternity"

:lol:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Last edited by a moderator:

mondblut

Arcane
Whatever "armored warfare" is, they likely weren't trying to ruin the RPG genre with it, so it gets my choice.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Whatever "armored warfare" is, they likely weren't trying to ruin the RPG genre with it, so it gets my choice.

It also has positive reception for its gameplay

:troll:

(Not kidding btw.)

Maybe Rich Taylor actually is someone at Obsidian with some serious skill in regards to gameplay. Even if his only two offerings so far were a gauntlet and wot clone.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
MotB got my vote because it is objectively the better RPG.
We're pretty far in the "what is an RPG?" territory then, as I think New Vegas is Obsidian's best RPG with the sheer amount of different builds and playstyles it supports, in addition to the faction system and all the C&C. MotB does offer some great roleplaying options as well, but the choices in it mostly deal with morality whereas New Vegas is more about choosing how you want to complete a particular goal. Both games take a very different approach to the RPG genre, but I don't think you can say that either of them would be objectively superior to the other.

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Comparison between PoE and the rest (FO:NV in particular, since it's a similar Sawyergame) is a bit unfair since it's still due to get expansion packs, but an interesting poll nonetheless.

pillars of abomination have 2 exp packs now so comparison is fair now.
also pls add tranny to the list.

PrettyDeadman

1st: F:NV
2nd: Alpha Protocol
3rd: KOTOR 2

DIDN't PLAY: NWN 2 + DLCs, Armored Warfare.

Played, but couldn't be bothered to rate: Pillars of eternity, South Park.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Someone plllllllsssss explain to me the love for New Vegas? I thought it was boring as fuck.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
People like New Vegas because it incorporated elements of Van Buren and was a far more worthy successor than F3. Most recognize that it is still popamole trash but vote for it over other Obsidian games because the studio has a mediocre library.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The studio has an excellent library!
F:NV is great for the reasons you described, it generally is kewl to play a Fallout with actual choices and factions etc.
However I'm a bit puzzled how the Codex would vote for a Bethesda engine gaem over MoTB or KotoR II.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Someone plllllllsssss explain to me the love for New Vegas? I thought it was boring as fuck.
Tons of reactivity, quests with multiple solutions, non-linear main quest with lots of C&C, support for many different builds including going full pacifist, huge scope that allows for wildly different playthroughs... It suffers from the hideous engine and the fact that it inherited most of its mechanics from FO3, but it still improved almost everything about it (infinitely better writing and world-building, mechanical improvements like damage threshold and the way skill checks worked, being able to kill anyone in the game world, less need for a quest compass, toning down stupid shit like V.A.T.S. etc.). It's not perfect, but it does some things incredibly well.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Fallout: New Vegas is a casual filter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom