Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll - Best Obsidian game so far

Best Obsidian game so far?

• Total voters

SniperHF

Arcane
You should have wiped out the vote totals because my vote was sitting there on NWN2 OC for 12 hours or so. That's just not right. :killit:

How the fuck is that Fallout FPS spinoff leading this?

Because it's a good game :)

Also the closest you grieving widows will ever get to Van Buren

ever

ever

QywS5z7.gif

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, it has good writing and reactivity. The combat and the UI are still absolute rock bottom as far as Obsidian RPGs are concerned (although NWN2 comes close in terms of awful UI).

oneliner

Educated
Voted for MOTB because of evil path and OOM. New Vegas come super close ( It will be the best game ever in history for me if it was isometric and turn based tho :negative: )

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the bulk of Obsidian's catalog, so it was a hard decision for me. I'd probably rank the games like this:

Good Games - memorable and fun
1. Pillars of Eternity
2. Mask of the Betrayer
3. New Vegas
4. Alpha Protocol

Meh Games - fun, but forgettable
5. Storm of Zehir (This would've been amazing with a larger scope and more resources put into dungeon building.)
6. NWN 2
7. KOTOR 2
8. South Park

Bad Games - why were they made?
9. Dungeon Siege 3 sucks so terribly!
10. Armoured Warfare (is this even out? It'll likely be their only release that I won't actually play.)

Drowed

Arcane
If New Vegas was done in a isometric perspective (even if in RTWP instead of TB) this wouldn't even be a contest.

This shows that, structurally, F:NV is a superior game in world building and quests. It's not as wordy (obviously) as POE, but *still*. With all its problems an limitations (fucked engine, "FPS", its needs to be fully voiced), it still manages to be so well received here on Codex. This shows how Obsidian outdone themselves in this case.

nomask7

Arcane
I might vote for MotB, but they made skipping content and hurrying forward ridiculously difficult due to the mind controlling boss, whose psychic attacks you'll be vulnerable to if you skip too much content. The game was great fun when played like that if you got lucky with that one boss, but any completionist playthrough is just boring to me. Game becomes too much like a typical do-this, do-this, go-there dull CRPG with no tension, challenge, or much of a mystery.

Probably never had a better experience with a game than my first playthrough (other than Gothic 2 NotR), but it was pretty atypical among those who played the game. Not that I'm qualified to vote anyway, since I've only played three of the games on the list, and only two of them completely.

A horse of course

New Vegas has better combat than PoE until the hp bloat DLC enemies.

pippin

New Vegas is Obsidian's best game for sure. If you don't agree you're a profligate.
Seriously now: it's a game that I can play 4 times and still find new stuff and interesting choices. I love it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
New Vegas. Categorically superior across the board. Reactivity, story, characters, writing, role-playing, replayability, combat, etc. Voted top ten RPG of all-time for a reason.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
With the appropriate developpment time, New Vegas might have been the best RPG ever.

YEAH I SAID IT

MrMarbles

Cipher
DS3 gets a lot of flak and I agree it sucks as a single player crpg. As a co-op rpg on other platforms it's pretty solid and I highly recommend it, especially after a few beers. But that's probably not poll-relevant.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
New Vegas. Categorically superior across the board. Reactivity, story, characters, writing, role-playing, replayability, combat, etc. Voted top ten RPG of all-time for a reason.

What is New Vegas combat superior to exactly? Descent to Undermountain? Catacombs 3D?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom