Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll - Best Obsidian game so far

Best Obsidian game so far?

• Total voters

Kz3r0

Arcane
They still have the opportunity to make Motb/soz addons for POE.
This is how they enslave you, HOPE.
Hope is the enemy you must defeat.
Hope is what chains your hands.
Hope is what clouds your judgement.
Hope is what deceives your heart.
Be a Man, be Free, forsake hope and forge your own destiny.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
BobHope69Show2.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
1. Mask of the Betrayer - I was going to pick PoE but I'm replaying MotB right now and the game is just so good. At times it's better than PST in terms of storyfaggotry. Now if it was a full game, not an add-on...
2. Pillars of Eternity - very gud, but still lacking something, both when it comes to gameplay (itemisation, encounter design) and story/lore.
3. Fallout New Vegas - great reactivity and faction system, but oh god shitbryo. fuck bethesda.
4. KOTOR2 - rapes star wars setting this much. Kreia is love, Kreia is life. but unfinished, terribly easy and bad engine (again)
5. Alpha Brotocol - great C&C, original setting, bad everything else.
6. NWN2 & SOZ - pinnacle of mediocrity.
7. Dungeon Siege 3 - eh.

made

Arcane
FNV had its moments but at its core it remains a FPS based on Bethesda's broken and buggy engine.

MOTB, though also built on a broken engine, at least was a top-down, party-based RPG, and had some of the best-written characters in RPG history as well as - in contrast to POE - a compelling plot.

Deitti

Augur
Voted for Fallout: New Vegas. Mods can fix the bugs and i can live with the combat even though it's too much FPS. All the things done right in the game however, just make it so good and fun to play.

Maschtervoz

Learned
MotB>Pillars>New Vegas>Kotor 2>the irrelevant ones

I tired to like New Vegas as much as the other people around here but I can't shake the feeling that it might be a great game on paper when you just sit and think about all that skill use and factions and reactivity, but actually playing it is a chore thanks to Bethesda's irredeemably shit engine. Now, MotB has a shit engine too, but the combat at least tries and the enemies and mechanics actually leave the opportunity for some sort of encounter design. New Vegas honestly stands on the bottom of the bottom of the barrel of RPG combat systems, alongside Gothic 3. The writing and characters are also mostly forgettable, apart from the excellent Dead Money.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dead Money has the richest characters and storyline from anything else I've played. FNV should be voted best based off of Dead Money and OWB alone.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How the fuck is that Fallout FPS spinoff leading this?

Because it's a good game :)

It's probably related to the reason Deus Ex and System Shock 2 is allowed on the Codex top 70 RPGs even though they are just glorified shooters.

Yeah, I also like pistachio ice cream but I wouldn't vote for it for best RPG evar.

With this pace of decline, Codex will be voting some future Call of Duty game best RPG ever in 10 years :decline:. FPS retards need to be kept out, them and their stupid games. True RPGs need to be kept inaccessible for casuals, or else their money will chain RPG developers to making FPSs and dating sims forever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

It's probably related to the reason Deus Ex and System Shock 2 is allowed on the Codex top 70 RPGs even though they are just glorified shooters.

Yeah, I also like pistachio ice cream but I wouldn't vote for it for best RPG evar.

With this pace of decline, Codex will be voting some future Call of Duty game best RPG ever in 10 years :decline:. FPS retards need to be kept out, them and their stupid games. True RPGs need to be kept inaccessible for casuals, or else their money will chain RPG developers to making FPSs and dating sims forever.
The poll asks what Obsidian's best game is, not what the best RPG is. /technical right, the best kind of right.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have, but found zero evidence of dumbfuckery. Unlike some ass clowns that frequent here, I actually appreciate Sawyer's and MCA's brilliance.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The poll asks what Obsidian's best game is, not what the best RPG is. /technical right, the best kind of right.

Yeah. Well, that leaves us wondering what all the FPS fans are doing on the Codex.

I am not a native English speaker so I got no clue what this is supposed to mean.

It's just a reference to a previous commentary on SoZ by a certain famous troll.

Rake

Arcane
  1. MotB
  2. KotOR 2
  3. PoE (at least so far, i'm still in Act II)
  4. AP - FNV tie
  5. SP:ToT
  6. DS 3
  7. NWN2
  8. SoZ
From them only the first two are great.

Apart from combat, what is wrong with NV that keeps it from being a "true RPG"? Keep in mind that many games in that top 70 list have shitty combat, including the top 10. So the 'dex clearly doesn't see it as a big deal.

Which leads us to the obligatory question: what is a RPG?

Starwars

Arcane
1. PoE
2. MotB
3. F: NV
4. SoZ
5. AP
6: SP: SoT
7: KOTOR2
8: DS3
9: NWN2

First three are great, beeatches.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
My list would be something like:

1. PoE
2. MotB
3. KotOR 2
4. SoZ
5. NWN 2 OC
6. DS3
7. AP
8. F:NV
9. SP: SoT

Make that a top spot for NWN 2 + all expansions if you count them together.

New Vegas is more of an RPG than a lot of the pseudo-RPG strategy games that a lot of codexers jack off onto. Having top down combat doesn't make a game an RPG, if the most it has is stats to affect combat it's an ARPG. NV has all your stats, traits, character development, and c&c, from start to finish.
If anything the fact that an fps in gamebyro engine manages to make it to the top of Codex polls is even more of an indication of how great it's RPG qualities are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom