Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll - Best Obsidian game so far

Best Obsidian game so far?

• Total voters

gromit

Arcane
Stick of Truth, and Dungeon Siege 3, are both solid games. But I can't / didn't vote for them, because they're not Obsidian's best unless you measure very selectively. In the case of DS3, frustrating because I'd rather see them do other things. Stick of Truth, I get, because 1. sure-shot sales, 2. chance to mercilessly mock the competition / genre conventions from altitude and safety.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I choose MotB but I can't really choose between it and New Vegas. Those two are my favorite Obsidian rpgs. KOTOR 2 and Alpha Protocol come second.

I still haven't finished Pillars, but I think I will probably rate it with the tier 2 games. It isn't as good as FNV and MotB.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that is a hard one.
I loved all of New Vegas, KotOR2, PoE and MotB....

Picked New Vegas in the end as I spent most time with that. Depending on how PoE develops (patches, mods, ...) it could be topped, though.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bullshit quests like these (which, wouldn't be too horrible in an isometric game with abstracted travel) are why FNV could never be more enjoyable than MOTB, and is also in fact a lot less replayable because the amount of trekking is just insufferable :

Lhynn

Arcane
Obsidan used the change of perspective well imho, especially when it came to exploring.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I've tried and tried but playing and enjoying F:NV is impossible for me. I don't know what it is, maybe the gameplay but it just feels like a chore. 15 minutes and I'm out.

It's either PoE or MOTB. I still need to give MOTB a proper playthrough some day, so I guess my vote goes for PoE.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Bullshit quests like these (which, wouldn't be too horrible in an isometric game with abstracted travel) are why FNV could never be more enjoyable than MOTB
A completely optional quest which mostly exists so that you'd have a reason to check out those other outposts, many of which have quests of their own. It's hardly a good example of what NV's quest design is like, although the ending is pretty cool.

New Vegas does have some poor quests, like the entire BoS questline, which is full of pretty lazy fetch quests that are in one instance even built around the quest compass, but it's a game with a fuckton of content, and for the most part the quests are excellent, almost always allowing for at least a couple of different solutions, sometimes even a lot more. Almost everything in the game can also be either avoided or bypassed in some way. The game definitely allows you to have more distinct playthroughs than MotB, especially since the amount of content is so insane that you'll probably miss out on a ton of stuff on a single playthrough.

I do agree that there's probably too much travelling, but that's a problem with most open-world games, especially with ones so focused on exploration.

Starwars

Arcane
Did anyone try a local coop for DS3? It seems like the multiplayer would be kinda shit when doing it over the interwebz but I imagine it could be pretty fun with a friend.

I haven't played PoE yet or MotB for that matter, so I am not going to vote, but New Vegas is a very nice game. It's a rarity in a way because of the 3 main pillars of RPG gameplay (writing, combat, and exploration), 2 of them, the writing and exploration are very good in the vanilla game. The combat is shitty in the vanilla, but unlike most RPGs with crappy combat, NV can actually be modded to improve its combat significantly (Project Nevada combat module or Sawyer mod and a few other things). So if you do that, it's an RPG with decent or better writing, combat and exploration and that's pretty damn rare in this genre. In that case, the only thing really holding it back from being truly great is the way the post-Fallout 3 mass market Fallout brand and things like the quest compass led Obsidian to design mostly extremely easy quests with minimal player involvement other as an errand boy. Follow the quest marker here, follow the quest marker there, perform easily digestible quest steps, follow the quest marker there.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dungeon Siege 3, of course.

maxresdefault.jpg

naossano

Cipher
Nikaido >
That type of quest was obviously designed with fast travel teleport in mind.
By doing it once you explored all map, it is just a matter of teleport to npc x then npc y, etc... Going all over the gameworld in less than 15 minutes.
I am not sure they would send you to so much npc/locations twice for so random task if there was an actual travel system instead of that teleport.
It is also meaningless lore-wise. How these guys couldn't afford to visit all their buddies if seeing all those guys is that quick ?

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nikaido >
That type of quest was obviously designed with fast travel teleport in mind.
By doing it once you explored all map, it is just a matter of teleport to npc x then npc y, etc... Going all over the gameworld in less than 15 minutes.
I am not sure they would send you to so much npc/locations twice for so random task if there was an actual travel system instead of that teleport.
It is also meaningless lore-wise. How these guys couldn't afford to visit all their buddies if seeing all those guys is that quick ?

You get to do that quest, and others in the same vein (such as the brotherhood of fags) way before you've explored enough to instant teleport everywhere. But even with instant teleport, at the base rhythm of walking (this is no abstracted isometrics. You can feel the pain in quite a few NCR locations like Camp McCarfag, and that location had to drag like half of all NCR quests. No, FAST TRAVEL DOES NOT fix all the long walking around you have to do in places like that particular camp.) and the way the game is built, most of those quests would still be a boring drag even if they gave you all map teleports from the beginning.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

FNV has the best reactivity, but something about the game bored me to tears. Maybe FO2 and FO3 had too much lulz, but FNV could have used some humor. Plus, Gamebryo.

I voted PoE. Yes, it is kind of watered-down compared to most RPGs, but playing it was never a chore for me. I really liked the setting.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Torn between kotor2 and motb. I honestly have no idea.

This FNV was much :incline: over F03 but its still needed tons of mods to make the Bethpizda engine playable, AP was genius in some areas (C&C) but its FPS part was again subpar.

Voted Kotor2 since it was not fantasy and it had Kreya the best Sith/Jedi ever but MOTB is close second fallowed by FNV and AP and DS3... NWN2 OC and PoE were average games not bad compared to AAA tittles but garbage as Obsidian goes.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
I was very tempted to vote AP, but the tone-deaf boss fights took it down a notch. F:NV for me, but it's been a long time since I finished KOTOR2.

I never did play NWN1/2, I couldn't get into 3.x. With PoE released and everyone talking about MotB and SoZ, I should probably play those some day.
Give SoZ a pass. Unless you really want to play a worse IWD with one cool idea (party dialog).
Bullshit. IWD misses all the features that make (or might for potential players) SoZ fun and unique.
Dungeon Siege 3, of course.

maxresdefault.jpg
Can you romance her?:desu: If not, worst game evah

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Had trouble deciding between MotB, KotoR 2 and FO:NV so I flipped a coin. Twice.

A three-faced coin?

With monkey heads on it, yes.

Torn between kotor2 and motb. I honestly have no idea.

This FNV was much :incline: over F03 but its still needed tons of mods to make the Bethpizda engine playable, AP was genius in some areas (C&C) but its FPS part was again subpar.

Voted Kotor2 since it was not fantasy and it had Kreya the best Sith/Jedi ever but MOTB is close second fallowed by FNV and AP and DS3... NWN2 OC and PoE were average games not bad compared to AAA tittles but garbage as Obsidian goes.

Considering that I thought that FO3 was developed by people playing "Two developers, one cup" ad nauseum with each other until they reached critical diharrea I dare say that it was hardly possible to NOT have :incline: over FO3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom