Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Bethesda's worst rpg

What's Bethesda's worst game?

• The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Votes: 46 20.5%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 44 19.6%
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 53 23.7%
  • None, they're all perfect

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • All of them are shit (kingcomrade)

Votes: 54 24.1%

• Total voters

Severian Silk

The title says pretty much all, but after reading the other poll in the Obsidian General Discussion and seeing that some people actually liked Skyrim, I'm just curious to find out what's the Codex consensus on which of their games is the worst and why.

Keye_

Educated
It seems to me that of all the games listed here, Fallout 4 is least like an RPG.
But let's face it: Bethesda does't make RPGs (anymore).

Joevonzombie

Literate
Their first two Scrolls games are far too reliant on randomly generated content that is broken half the time which forces you to reload and their latter games are too focused on streamlining everything, removing the shit that actually worked, and horrendous level scaling. The closest they have come to a decent game is Morrowind and even then, it's mediocre at best because the world is so fucking bland.

Deleted member 7219

I've never played a game as bad as Fallout 4.

Oblivion had redeeming qualities (some good quests here and there), but Fallout 4 was just catastrophically and intentionally awful. Bethesda can't say they didn't know better. Look what Obsidian demonstrated was possible with New Vegas.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Bethesda has made only three good RPGs: Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind. Worst of all is Fallout 4.

Joevonzombie

Literate
Missing Fallout New Vegas.
G0Zf8yi.jpg

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Well since your poll says worst game, then Rogue Warrior. Admittedly they were only the publisher for that. If not including that, then probably Fallout 4. If you mean RPGs only, then first we must define RPG...

Rev

Arcane
Should've made a public poll, like the one you copied from. :M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Oblivion is, perhaps, not the worst of the games listed in the poll, but it is undeniably the greatest decline from the previous Bethesda game. After years of scraping by financially, Bethesda finally enjoyed commercial success with Morrowind, only to decide their path forward would be to systematically dumb down the next Elder Scrolls game in ways too numerous to list here. Bethesda's later games are arguably dumbed down even further, but it is Oblivion that marked the turning point for the company.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 3. I haven't played Fallout 4. Once, I joked and said that I would buy the GOTY edition of it when it was on sale, but I have no intention of playing Fallout 4. There is nothing about it that appeals to me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Oblivion for sure. I dislike it so much for being so dumbed down, and technically Skyrim is even more dumbed down so I could have voted for that. But Skyrim does actually improve some things, the shouts are what I think they should have done for a long time. They clearly don't care about RPGs anymore and want to make action games, so they may as well add some actual decent action gameplay. It still doesn't have that... but the shouts are a step towards it. Also the dungeons are more varied which is probably the thing I found most offensive about previous ES games. Also Skyrim is still the best looking game I have ever played, thanks to mods. It looked like shit out of the box, but with the right mods installed it is the prettiest game ever and runs great on my machine. Basically the game has some things going for it, even though it is shit. But Oblivion is like all of the things that are wrong with the Elder Scrolls series, in one game. It removes stuff from Morrowind making it seem more action game than RPG, it has cut and paste dungeons, it has boring quests, lack of interesting gear, lack of interesting locations, lack of variety in the game world, and it has probably the shortest main quest I have ever seen in a big budget game. I think I completed the MQ in about 2 nights. Tards will argue, "YEAH BUT you are supposed to go and do all the side quests too!" but the side quests are terrible. The MQ is the only thing I care about in these games because it is the only thing that has a bit of thought put into it, the side quests are mostly very generic and boring.

I had some fun with Morrowind, the only game in the series I played all the way through and did stuff on the side as well. It was still too shallow for me and lacked in a lot of areas, but at least it had some RPG under the hood, and the main quest and the mage questline were both fun. For me Skyrim was a lot less fun in terms of MQ and side quests, and Oblivion was even worse again. All in all though I don't really care and would gladly see Bethesda go out of business.

Chunkyman

Augur
For all of Oblivion's problems, it did have some thing going for it including a lot of fun quests. Skyrim doesn't have anything particularly positive going for it. I legit don't know why someone would put Oblivion as worse than Skyrim.

Didn't play Fallout 4 and have no intention of doing so but I imagine just from the continual downslidng of Bethesda's quality that it's even worse than Skyrim is.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Fo4 is easily the worst. Gameplay wise it isn't that much worse from skyrim and if you are a retard maybe you could say that the gunplay is good but fo4 didn't improve the core rpg gameplay at all. Instead it added shit ton of pointless busy work and less real content. Radiant quests from skyrim were cancer (my grandma literally got cancer after skyrim released) and fo4 decided to double down on that shit.

Atleast skyrim can be appreciated as some sort of file management simulator due the modding scene.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I vote Skyrim I think it's just bland and generic and it's proof that Bethesda can get away with anything since they were king of the open world rpg. But their next Elder Scrolls game is going to be amazing I'm very certain of this since now they have to try and outdo the Witcher 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom