Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Did anyone finish Divinity: Original Sin?

Did you finish D:OS?

• Yes, I finished it.

Votes: 194 39.3%
  • I played it but didn't finish it.

Votes: 231 46.8%
  • I haven't played it (kingcomrade).

Votes: 69 14.0%

• Total voters

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When the KS was posted, I was already suffering from severe Kickstarter Fatigue, so I didn't back this.

Plan to pick it up once I've finished the RPGs I did back (Wasteland 2 and Dead State, and by the time I'm done with those Project Eternity should be out).

Tis the season if anyone wants to gift me a copy. :)

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Played but didn't finish due to my Win8.1 update completely screwing over my OS, could not even restore it since every repair function told me that my HDD is read only and had therefore trash the whole system and reinstall everything from scratch. Ode to joy...
Eh? Did you get the game on Steam? Your saves should be preserved in the cloud.

It doesnt support the cloud. I formatted and copied my entire steam folder back even. player profiles are stored in my documents.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played but didn't finish due to my Win8.1 update completely screwing over my OS, could not even restore it since every repair function told me that my HDD is read only and had therefore trash the whole system and reinstall everything from scratch. Ode to joy...
It doesnt support the cloud. I formatted and copied my entire steam folder back even. player profiles are stored in my documents.
Fuckin weak. Sorry dude.

Sykar

Arcane
Fuckin weak. Sorry dude.

Shit happens, proverbially and literally.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Good game, but not good enough to make me want to play it to the end. I enjoyed co-op'ing it with RK47 but after we stopped doing that I lost any interest to keep playing. Still, A for effort I guess? Probably the RPGOTY anyways.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Played to the end in coop. Great game with fun combat, but not an RPG in my book - more like action adventure (as already been mentioned in other threads).

Deitti

Augur
Played but didn't finish. Got too busy at one point which prevented me from putting any time into it, once i had time again, so many big patches were out that i decided to wait for them to release as many patches as possible. Will most likely start over and finish it sometime next year.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played it solo and enjoyed it. My RPGOTY. It was good enough for me to complete it, but I guess I do have to admit that it gets a bit worse as it goes on.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played it till the end of the Cyseal map, took a 3 month break due to lack of time, then finished it.
The last map was kinda boring, but I still globally love this game. :love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played it (almost) non-stop for 110+ hours, finished it. Looking forward to the hardcore mode, too.

Best non-dungeon crawler RPG since 1990s, and an important step forward for CRPGs as a whole, with combat actually being part of the emergent world interaction - something that really was long overdue (and something only a Western RPG dev could do, really). It didn't reach its full potential, obviously, but I hope they build on this foundation with their next games, and make it even more interactive and even more emergent.

Finished it. Steam says I put 93 hours into it. I did rush the last act because I got tired by then. Mostly a very good game but certain types of puzzles (like, use levers in correct order) and invulnerable enemies pissed me off. I'll probably come back to is some day. Still haven't tried co-op but I'm not sure if I even want to, I can't imagine what is to be gained by splitting control of the party between two persons as opposed to me controlling them alone.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished it twice already - I think I'll play for a third time after Larian is finished with tinkering.

Started playing it with a friend, but sadly he stopped wanting to play.
I'll try a run myself, but i doubt i'll finish it, because i'm of the opinion that most RPGs are too long.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Fuckin weak. Sorry dude.

Shit happens, proverbially and literally.

I changed my SSD and kept the data on the old in tact, so i just copied my savegames back.

himmy

Arcane
Played all the way to the point you finish with the mines and put it on hold. I adored the first part and thought the middle-game was okay, but lacking the enchantment of the early hours.

That being said, my opinion should not count that much, as I already established in a different thread, I rarely ever finish any games and I almost always enjoy the beginning of the games the most.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished it.
The game really did start to drag on a bit halfway through chapter 2.

It would really benefit from simply being able to increase animation speed by a factor of about 4 during combat, as well as being able to sort of 'queue' commands - since you couldn't select any other characters or prep any other spells/skills whilst your currently selected character was casting spells/using skills - and that was also the result of a lot of stupid deaths on my part, as I'd thought I had a skill selected and was targeting it, only to find the character running right into the midst of enemies and dying from AoO.

Still easily my RPGotY

V_K

Arcane
Played through Cyseal, found it rather meh overall

Back on topic, started playing DOS some days ago. As expected, loving what they did with narrative design and environment interactions.

Sudden Edginess Syndrome, a common Codexian malady
Not really. I wrote the first post maybe something like 8-10 hours in. And environment interactions are good, as is the design of some quests, I'm not going back on this. However, level design, the way they crammed everything on rather small maps felt extremely artificial. It could work in a first-person game, but when you can just pan the camera and find out that Evelin's lair is in fact no more than three screens away from Cyseal, but you have to take a really long walk to get there because of some conveniently placed rocks - that kills the suspencion of disbelief outright. Then there's the problem that while emergent interactions are great, there aren't enough encounters that support their use outside of combat. The tutorial dungeon advertises all kinds of traps and obstacles - and ends up being the best (and largest) one I've encountered on the first map by an order of magnitude, which is rather amusing if you think of it.
So in the end good to great systems, so-so content and atrocious UI add up to "rather meh overall". Riddle solved.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
However, level design, the way they crammed everything on rather small maps felt extremely artificial. It could work in a first-person game, but when you can just pan the camera and find out that Evelin's lair is in fact no more than three screens away from Cyseal, but you have to take a really long walk to get there because of some conveniently placed rocks - that kills the suspencion of disbelief outright.

I remember when the LSN were annoyed with me because I said this had corridor maps, good times.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
You have to be... dedicated (euphemism) to finish the game solo. I tried it and though, oh well, the game might be more fun in co-op. So I persuaded my wife, who hates computer games btw, to try and play it with me. She really enjoyed the mechanics but as soon as we had spent 30 minutes out of Cyseal she refused to play it any further citing the total lack of pacing.

The fact that there are black holes and everything totally out of context in the story does not help either.

Branm

Learned
I didn't even manage to get through Cyseal....The game gfx and writing really turned me off....Hate the art style and the game was trying way too hard to be funny...Pretty sad when a game developed by a few people (Underrail) is vastly superior than anything released in the past years...

V_K

Arcane
However, level design, the way they crammed everything on rather small maps felt extremely artificial. It could work in a first-person game, but when you can just pan the camera and find out that Evelin's lair is in fact no more than three screens away from Cyseal, but you have to take a really long walk to get there because of some conveniently placed rocks - that kills the suspencion of disbelief outright.

I remember when the LSN were annoyed with me because I said this had corridor maps, good times.
What's LSN?
Corridor maps could be tolerable by themselves, but they also seemed bent on using all availible space, which made for some really bizarre topography.

Deleted member 7219

I got stuck at the second map, all the bridges are out and the only route around is to go through a windy deserty area, and I just can't be bothered.

The game is just a bit too lulzy for me so I can't muster up enough enthusiasm to keep going. If the storyline was a bit better then, maybe. I'll try again when they actually finish it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom