Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Did anyone finish Divinity: Original Sin?

Did you finish D:OS?

• Yes, I finished it.

Votes: 194 39.3%
  • I played it but didn't finish it.

Votes: 231 46.8%
  • I haven't played it (kingcomrade).

Votes: 69 14.0%

• Total voters

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What is it with games where you have x number of hidden items and you have to find every single last goddamn one of them

You don't. IIRC D:OS has 18 macguffins in total, and you need 13 of them.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Finished 3 times (twice in co-op). Played also most of the initial mods (nothing spectacular, I am afraid). My only grip with the game? It was too short. I can see myself spending thousands of hours with a game like this... Currently I have less than 500 and nothing left to do... A pity. Still my GOTY 2014 by a long shot.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
That sounds way better :) Fight it out with Metro then, I haven't played D:OS at all yet so I don't know who's telling the truth.
Roxor is right, and most of the MacGuffins fall right into your lap. You find like 10 unavoidably just through the main quest.

Finished the game and loved it. Definitely started to drag a wee bit towards the end but it was overall a wonderful experience, looking forward to seeing what it looks like after the big patches and shit.

Jozoz

Prophet
I finished it.

The Cyseal act is one the best things I've played in a long time, and it's a bit of a shame it wasn't that much fun in the end, but it wasn't awful either. I poured something like 70 hours into it and I never really felt like quitting so that's definitely a plus. Very very content rich.

The game really got mind-numbingly easy towards the end and the final battle was boring and anti-climactic, but hey so is the final battle in an awesome game like System Shock 2 or Half-Life for that matter. It's pretty typical and it's actually very rare that a "final boss" type thing is done well. Even though I love Frank Horrigan it's not particularly interesting of a fight either. Same with the Master if you choose to fight him. Granted these other games are much older and that might take away from it, but the point still stands.

Back on topic though, I thought the writing was pretty mediocre. The characters weren't interesting and the game wasn't really funny when it wanted to be and not really serious either. It wasn't Bethesda level though, so I've seen worse. :troll:

The story, I felt, started off really nicely. The murder investigation was awesome and although it was more complex in my mind than in reality it kept my engaged in everything I did, because I wanted to look for clues. All the characters had something to say about the murder and you got a lot of different opinions here and there. It made Cyseal feel alive even if just an illusion. It all culminates in the final battle of act 1, which is easily the best boss fight of the game. It's also the most challenging, but that's not saying much. The story really does start to drag on in act 2, but I feel like the way the story is told gets significantly worse around that time too. The world and story suddenly don't really feel as connected. Hiberheim wasn't bad, but I definitely didn't like Luculla forest. Something just felt kind of off there. It felt much less alive, even though it was a giant forest.

The forest had a few nice ideas like the Immaculation trials, but they were never really implemented that nicely. They also had some random shit like the pillar in the north-eastern corner I think, which just felt super weird and like it was placed there last minute.

I also feel like there was just more to do in Cyseal compared to the later acts. They kind of put their focus wrongly I'd say. Putting so much effort into the first act might get the game good reviews, but it's way more important for game quality to make the game interesting all the way through I'd say, because in the beginning you are sort of getting a feel for the world and universe, which might seem like "fake content" and I don't mean that in a negative way. The more fake content a game has the better, because it leads to immersion in my opinion. Once that novelty wears off though you really need some substance to keep it interesting, which is where I feel like D:OS was a little disappointing. The new areas scenery and world might seem like more fake content, but they just never have the same magic that Cyseal did and that's probably because Cyseal is the first area. Although Cyseal was probably more interesting too.

All in all it's definitely worth playing though and I'm making it seem worse than it really is. I didn't even talk about the combat, but it's environment focus is great and it's really fun, but it does get a bit boring to use the same spells over and over and over and over and over...

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sick in the head, and feel a need to complete almost every crpg I start eventually. I didn't enjoy doing it, but I finished it. Now I'm so burned out I'm snails pacing WL2, and finding playing blackguards more compelling on the side. Maybe we'll go through another RPG drought for the next 5 years again, and it's okay for me to not beat things right away. Also I think <50 hours is the right length for me. Now all these games are putting 90 hours of content in and it just is too much time with not enough compelling content.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You can move one more vote from the "didn't finish it" to the "finished it!" option +M

The last 20 hours really dragged and combat got too boring even on Nightmare (lots of hp bloat). I don't think I'm going to play another 90 hour game anytime soon.

sser

Arcane
Developer
My laptop shit itself about 25 hours in, so no. I was totally engrossed though.

mydnight

Educated
Do you believe the combat of this is superior to Blackguards?

Like Metro I found Blackguard boring. Smacking rats for low damage and low chances to hit is hardly what I'd call good tactical combat, despite the designers good intentions. Heck I find the combat in the Banner Saga superior. More complex stats do not necessarily equate to a better overall gaming experience. I didn't play blackguards for more than 8 hours though so the comparison is somewhat limited.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Like Metro I found Blackguard boring. Smacking rats for low damage and low chances to hit is hardly what I'd call good tactical combat, despite the designers good intentions.

Swing and a miss, buddy. There isn't a single rat mob in all of Blackguards.

mydnight

Educated
Swing and a miss, buddy. There isn't a single rat mob in all of Blackguards.

Oops -- crypt lice; but they might as well have been rats for what little difference it would have made. My fuzzy memory of the encounters only emphasize my boredom.

On topic: I liked the way D:OS used action points and distance without the need for a grid.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Oops -- crypt lice; but they might as well have been rats for what little difference it would have made. My fuzzy memory of the encounters only emphasize my boredom.

On topic: I liked the way D:OS used action points and distance without the need for a grid.

Your memory hasn't failed you - that encounter is insanely bad. One of the worst ever. Not only for the combat, but story-wise, too. I hated every single thing about that entire segment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played that arena battle twice in my replays and the second time found out the 'secret' well enough - you only need to 'as fast as lightning 3' two dorks to use the lever in the middle of the map, the rest is utterly incidental and you have no need to close the farther away tunnels.

Cadmus

Arcane
I finished it, it was great. Way too easy towards the end but not because of the balance but because the AI was not smart enough as I've already mentioned gazillion times.

imweasel

Finished the game and absolutely loved it. The second chapter got off to a slow start but it picked up again rather quickly.

hell bovine

Arcane
Trying and failing to finish it, currently. I like a lot of the ideas, but not the implementation, mostly it just feels like the game drags on. And the writing style is not so good, they would have been better off keeping a more serious tone instead of trying to be humorous.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny to see the almost unanimous sentiment of shit gets stale among those that bother to complete it or at least make an effort. I was pretty guilty of slobbering all over Larian's knob for the first month of release (aka first 20 hours of gameplay). I wonder how many journos bothered to complete it before getting swept up in the zeitgeist of I'm kool enough for oldskool hipster faggotry, and declaring it the greatest game of all time. Despite my contempt for that bullshit, I'd still say D:OS offered some of the best gameplay this year for at least a bit.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Trying and failing to finish it, currently. I like a lot of the ideas, but not the implementation, mostly it just feels like the game drags on. And the writing style is not so good, they would have been better off keeping a more serious tone instead of trying to be humorous.
Yes they should have done away with their trademark Belgian humor.

:retarded:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yes they should have done away with their trademark Belgian humor.

:retarded:

Divinity 2's main story was pretty serious, maybe he just wants more of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom