Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you like your RPG forums?

How do you like your RPG forums?

• Total voters

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
The problem with Jaesun's split is that devoting a forum to console popamole suggests the games warrant discussion. The correct approach to shitty RPGs is the Sam Neill approach:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I DO still want to strongly argue my one point: cRPG's designed around an XBox controller and ones designed for a PC. With us getting more and more visibility and with us (at least we used to say this in the old About page) being a site that is dedicated to games made and designed for the PC and having good cRPG elements, we have an excellent way of blatantly showing this straight to their faces with 2 cRPG's forums stated plainly designed for PC or XBox controllers (and the old 512 Megs of ram).

This distinction greatly defines and flat out tells people the kind of cRPG's we want to play and support. Publicly shaming Developers and Publishers that have to dumb down games because of a console and it's controller is a stance that I would like to see we still adhere to.

That is something I just feel very strongly about. And we have the power to do that.
Thing is, splitting forums isn't a "political" action aimed to show publishers that these games are shit and they belong in a shit-designated forum. It doesn't affect publishers and consumers, who don't give a fuck about the Codex and the fact that the Codex can collect 10k when needed hardly makes the publishers wet lips in anticipations. It affects people who visit these forums. It's not a big deal, which is why I've never complained before, but it's an inconvenience. Instead of checking one RPG forum, I have to check two. Why? Because, man. We gotta stick it to the publishers, don't you get it, man?!

A shitty game wins nothing by being in a prestigious RPG forum. It gets shit on. Does it really matter where it gets shit on?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller logic:

Checking two forums = bad
Checking ten threads = good

Have you considered how fucking crowded the merged RPG forum will be? Do you want Bioware and Bethesda lulz threads drowning out things that actually matter?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think all console games regardless of genre should be in a separate forum/sub-forum whatever. No need to sully General Gaming with Morgoth's latest console-exclusive du jour.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's about what you can see at glance. Both multiple forums for the same genre (shit or not) and megathreads, where the info gets buried, restrict it. And you don't need to check ten threads, you get the idea from their names and decide if you want to read/participate.

Crowded? Good (active) topics tend to stay on top for days, at least. Topics that nobody wants to discuss go down quickly. I'd even delete them after a few month- why keep a thread with 2-3 responses?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's about what you can see at glance. Both multiple forums for the same genre (shit or not) and megathreads, where the info gets buried, restrict it. And you don't need to check ten threads, you get the idea from their names and decide if you want to read/participate.

Yeah, I get that your preferred model of forum browsing is "casual perusal at a glance". I'm not going to get into an argument about which method of information consumption is better, so we'll just see what the poll decides. And by that I mean we'll see what DU decides. :smug:

I'd even delete them after a few month- why keep a thread with 2-3 responses?

Updated my VaultDweller.txt

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thing is, splitting forums isn't a "political" action aimed to show publishers that these games are shit and they belong in a shit-designated forum. It doesn't affect publishers and consumers, who don't give a fuck about the Codex and the fact that the Codex can collect 10k when needed hardly makes the publishers wet lips in anticipations. It affects people who visit these forums. It's not a big deal, which is why I've never complained before, but it's an inconvenience. Instead of checking one RPG forum, I have to check two. Why? Because, man. We gotta stick it to the publishers, don't you get it, man?!

A shitty game wins nothing by being in a prestigious RPG forum. It gets shit on. Does it really matter where it gets shit on?
Just because it's an impotent gesture doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be made.

It also sends a clear message to new users about how we Jaesun views RPGs, which is a direct benefit.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Just because it's an impotent gesture doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be made.
Wouldn't you agree that a review that would be read by thousands of gamers and posted everywhere, including the developer's forum, is a much stronger and more potent gesture?

It also sends a clear message to new users about how we Jaesun views RPGs, which is a direct benefit.
Wouldn't reading the threads accomplish the same goal?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wouldn't you agree that a review that would be read by thousands of gamers and posted everywhere, including the developer's forum, is a much stronger and more potent gesture?
One doesn't prevent the other, so I'm not sure what the question is.

Not as quickly or concisely. Nor would it be as authoritative. Having the forums divided is the administration making a statement "this is how things are around here".

Vault Dweller

Developer
One doesn't prevent the other, so I'm not sure what the question is.
Reviews are sparse here, are they not? Especially by the staff. So it would appear that one does prevent the other (i.e. if the staff thinks that they made their statement, they won't feel the need to actually write something. Liek with words and stuff.

Not as quickly or concisely. Nor would it be as authoritative. Having the forums divided is the administration making a statement "this is how things are around here".
Silly.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Having the forums divided is the administration making a statement "this is how things are around here".
Such a stupid statement.

The administration shouldn't need to make any statements. The forum content, generated by members, should speak for itself. Administration is not representative of the forum.

tuluse

Arcane
Such a stupid statement.

The administration shouldn't need to make any statements. The forum content, generated by members, should speak for itself. Administration is not representative of the forum.
Fair enough.

I will note, it's not a stupid statement. That's what happens. It may not be what you want to happen, which is fine, but it doesn't make the statement stupid.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I consider it stupid because to me it says: "these certain games are deserving of mockery because they're shit, but we give them forum space, employ moderators, and conduct discussions. That's how strongly we feel about the issue!"

Wouldn't outright prohibiting any discussions on the so-called console popamole games be a rather emphatic stance to take?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Do you think devs like David Gaider stopped posting on the dex because mods moved one of his posts? This attittude towards modern games just because they are multiplat is childish at best, inconvenient at worst.

tuluse

Arcane
The codex administration believes more strongly in freedom of speech than RPGs.

Rather than prohibiting, we just mock and deride.

hiver

Two forums, bring back old names.

What publishers care about isnt the issue or purpose of the split. Nor is the "inconvenience" of some members who suffer so much because they have to open two forums.
Which rather funny statement on itself. Because all you do is click on a link. And following that logic there should be one single post for all games in the end, so some people wont be forced to open more then one link.

There are two streams of RPGs. Thats undeniable.
Its the truth and two forums are the reflection of that truth.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The codex administration believes more strongly in freedom of speech than RPGs.

Rather than prohibiting, we just mock and deride.
Hence I will say that forum categorisation should be used as a convenience tool for members, and not for administration to make statements on behalf of the forum. The forum will speak for itself.

tuluse

Arcane
Hence I will say that forum categorisation should be used as a convenience tool for members, and not for administration to make statements on behalf of the forum. The forum will speak for itself.
To which I say, "fair enough".

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord The problem with this vote is that there's only one option for merging and many different options for splitting, so merging will always win a plurality, even if a majority favors some sort of split.
If a majority (>50%) favour some sort of split, then the merging option can't also win >50%.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"What's New" already shows all threads/posts on Glorious Codexia that's new, no matter what forum it is, so if you want to check everything just use it. If you want to just check what's new on console gaming, jRPGs or MMOs, you visit the proper sub-forums.

We have two ways of checking the Codex, it works for everyone, I don't see why so much DRAMA...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom