Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you like your RPG forums?

How do you like your RPG forums?

• Total voters

Syl

Cipher
Action RPG, JRPG, MMORPG
This could be a nice and clean split. Or are there too many console RPGs that are not ARPG? Jaesun ?

(One or two exceptions are not a problem, they could be mentionned in the description of the subforum)

EG

Nullified
Split it by the decade in which a game was released. :lol:

Absalom

wheres the option to go back to the "shit jaesun doesn't like" forum name

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Shit Jaesun doesn't like was nice and easy to understand. The closest we ever had to consistency :M

Linden

Arcane
"RPG genres run into each other, precisely like colours: in their strong tints they are easily distinguished; but are susceptible of so much variety, and take on so many different forms, that we can never say where one species ends and another begins."
- Henry Home, Lord Kames (1696–1782)

"The classification and hierarchical taxonomy of RPG genres is not a neutral and 'objective' procedure. There are no undisputed 'maps' of the system of genres within any medium (though literature may perhaps lay some claim to a loose consensus). Furthermore, there is often considerable theoretical disagreement about the definition of specific RPG genres. A genre is ultimately an abstract conception rather than something that exists empirically in the world (...)."

"Outlining a fundamental problem of genre identification in relation to RPGs, Andrew Tudor notes the 'empiricist dilemma': "To take a genre such as the 'JRPG', analyse it, and list its principal characteristics, is to beg the question that we must first isolate the body of games which are 'JRPGs'. But they can only be isolated on the basis of the 'principal characteristics' which can only be discovered from the games themselves after they have been isolated."
- David Chandler in "Introduction to Genre Theory"

voted kingcomrade :smug:

hiver

although this is probably decided already and my suggestion isnt going to have much weight anyway, i was just thinking:
1. RPG
2. Action RPGs (aaa - mass market crap including consoles)
3. MMOs
4. Jrpgs

this would point to distinction by quality and specific design - rather then distinction by gaming platform.
since sony stepped even closer to becoming a gaming dedicated PC and xbox will fail and disappear anyway... this setup could hold for quite some time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
although this is probably decided already and my suggestion isnt going to have much weight anyway, i was just thinking:
1. RPG
2. Action RPGs (aaa - mass market crap including consoles)
3. MMOs
4. Jrpgs

this would point to distinction by quality and specific design - rather then distinction by gaming platform.
since sony stepped even closer to becoming a gaming dedicated PC and xbox will fail and disappear anyway... this setup could hold for quite some time.

Define "Action cRPG"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Again, MMOs don't even warrant their own section, anymore. You're talking about maybe three or four active threads at any given time.

hiver

Define "Action cRPG"
Why would i need to "define" them? Dont we know exactly what they are without a specific definition? Arent they practically all games that mass market spewed out into the RPG genre in last... ever?

Although... mass market or mainstream AAA are also broad enough names.

Again, MMOs don't even warrant their own section, anymore. You're talking about maybe three or four active threads at any given time.
So what? Better to have them tucked away somewhere then messing up other sections with their crap.

Linden

Arcane
Why would i need to "define" them? Dont we know exactly what they are without a specific definition?

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

(The scary thing is, hiver is actually sort of right. :? )

Anyway, I propose we go with Wittgenstein's idea of family resemblances:

Wikipedia said:
Family resemblance (German: Familienähnlichkeit) is a philosophical idea made popular by Ludwig Wittgenstein, with the best known exposition being given in the posthumously published book Philosophical Investigations (1953). It has been suggested that Wittgenstein picked up the idea and the term from Nietzsche, who had been using it, as did many nineteenth century philologists, when discoursing about language families. Wittgenstein's point was that things which may be thought to be connected by one essential common feature may in fact be connected by a series of overlapping similarities, where no one feature is common to all.

Now that made it easier, didn't it? :trollolol:

Wikipedia said:
Games, which Wittgenstein used as an example in order to explain the notion, have become the paradigmatic example of a group that is related by family resemblances.

Okay, I didn't know that. I somehow doubt old W. was talking about vidya games, though.

hiver

Its not funny. Dumbass.

A definition is just a sentence, that tries to describe something in simple enough terms - that people then argue about endlessly.
It is not required. We all know what an Action RPG is without a specific f`ing "definition".

If i say now that Action RPGs are games where combat is almost the only or main type of gameplay and all in them is about combat and action - are we going to argue about it for 25 pages?

Mass market hasnt produced one true RPG since it all started.
Because obviously a game with content limited to specific classes or skills simply doesnt make sense for their business model - (and intellectual capability).

Linden

Arcane
Hiver, have you considered going into academia? I'd pay real money to see you arguing with my professor.

Define "Action cRPG"
Why would i need to "define" them? Dont we know exactly what they are without a specific definition?[...]

No. This is why we have "what is a rpg" discussions every other day.

I don't care about incredibly specific definitions either since I don't have assburgers, but if the subforums are loosely divided then you get those constant "What is this thread doing here, this is no [type of RPG]" "Yes it is, it has [RPG element A]" "No it isn't it doesn't have [RPG element B]" posts, so it's less work in the long run to clarify what each subforum is for.

hiver

Hiver, have you considered going into academia? I'd pay real money to see you arguing with my professor.
I dont know... i find you simpletons that are so limited and constricted in your reasoning a real chore to work through.

I guess you dont get up out of a bed or go and take a piss without first coming to a right definition of each thing?

How about farting?

anyway.... mass market RPGs or mass market action RPGs or just action RPGs is a distinction enough and broad enough. I basically like to see the separation. It makes for easier reading.

Revenant

I don't mind having separate CRPG and popamole forums. However, just go back to the old names, as when I first saw "Classic" and "AAA+" forum titles after several renamings I almost threw up because of the immense hipness and arrogance of such naming. Knights of the Chalice, Eschalon games are classic already? Really? He who came up with the idea to use the word "classic" in the forum title, get your head out of your ass, FFS. Likewise, only a small fraction of console games are AAA+ by fucking definition of AAA+. Seriously, keep the forums split if you need, but the current names couldn't be worse if you tried hard.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like mmo threads safely quarantined where I never have to see them.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Having the subforum catagory headers just snap you to themselves when clicked seems pointless, wouldn't it be a better idea for it to link all new posts within that set of forums like a miniaturised/focused What's New option?

Mantiis

Cipher
General rpg discussion & mmo discussion. The current setup is puerile.

And stop merging everything. Seriously.

hiver

Mass market RPGs
- with subtitle - Console, popamole action RPGs -

and then you can merge MMOs with it. But i think Jrpgs should have their own section. Poor guys.

Separation is great because for the first time in years there is a big section of forums full with best new RPGs like we are in RPGenaissance of some kind.
Unlike before when first few pages were about bioware and bethesda and fuckin CoD. Everyday. For years.

Leave them in the getto :D

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hiver the Haiku Poet:

Mass market RPGs
-subtitle - Console,
popamole action roleplays -

can merge MMOs
i think Jrpgs should
have own section. Poor guys.

Separation is great because
for first time in years
there is big section forums
full with the best new
RPGs like we are in
RPGenaissance

Unlike before when first
pages were about bioware
and bethesda and
fuckin CoD. Each day.
For so many years.

Leave them all in the getto

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom