Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters
Wasteland 2
What antagonizing marketing?

They've toned it down in the last year, but they used to, in every marketing video, or interview, more or less directly shit on competing games and brag about how they'll do x better than game y.
Also encouraged their fanboys, to conquer the Internet for them, so every forum and comments section during release of a Witcher game were full of fanboys, mostly pollacks shitting with poor English on Beth, Bio and consoletards.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No one has done that and I doubt they'll ever. I don't deal in hypothetical situations.

Weak. You said that the game wasn't an action game because you could pause and issue a command. Unless such a feature would turn every action game ever into a tactical game, pausing doesn't stop the central functions of an action game (the emphasis on physical challenges, hand–eye coordination and reaction-time).

Anyway, you backpedaled sufficiently in your post above. What is and what isn't an action-game is a pointless semantic debate just like "what is an RPG." The substance of this debate is whether DA:I is, in its core systems, identical to DA:O and DA2. It sounds nothing like it.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pirated Origins, quit after the mage tower. Pirated 2, quite a tiny bit into chapter 1. Won't be playing 3. Never gave Bioware my money, never will.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
I like how this is half your rebuttal, like DA2 is some CRPG classic.

It would be if this were an argument about quality, however it's not. It's a discussion about whether or not DAI has action-combat (it doesn't). Tell me about an action game that allows you to issue orders while paused. The only one I can think of that comes closest is Divinity 2 and that was only applicable to special attacks.
Of Orcs and Men, Game of Thrones, Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame. All ARPGs with pause and ordering.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weak. You said that the game wasn't an action game because you could pause and issue a command. Unless such a feature would turn every action game ever into a tactical game, pausing doesn't stop the central functions of an action game (the emphasis on physical challenges, hand–eye coordination and reaction-time).
What you have there is some weird un-game that no one would ever make. DAI, like DA2 before it, is some weird compromise between party-based tacticool and single-character with AI-companions action game.

Funny thing is that Laidlaw kept saying they were going to emphasize tic-tacs and he failed, like I figured he would, since they were insistent on it being completable by any bad player controlling only one character.

Anyway, you backpedaled sufficiently in your post above. What is and what isn't an action-game is a pointless semantic debate just like "what is an RPG." The substance of this debate is whether DA:I is, in its core systems, identical to DA:O and DA2. It sounds nothing like it.
They're all games where you manage ability cooldowns and enemy aggro.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Haven't bought it and currently have no plans to do so.
I found DA:O to be ok, but despite many good parts, I got bored by it towards the end.
DA2 went into a direction that didn't interest me much, either, so I never played it.
ME was similar in that regard - I considered ME1 to be ok to good (for what it was), with some interesting features, but instead of fixing those things I considered problematic and improving upon the good stuff, they developed the series in a different direction.
Which they have every right to do, its just that I lost interest in it along the way.

I played origins and like you, found parts of it I enjoyed and parts that were shithouse.
Getting bored and losing interest in Bioware games towards the end seems common.

It's so formulaic now, for the end game sequence (and you always know its coming): you gather your party, motivational speech, suicide mission or two, then usually - some long grindy combat gauntlet (which is usually just tedious), pontificating by the last boss, end fight, credits.

I liked Mass Effect 1 because mainly someone was having a go at doing a space opera RPG, Alpha protocol got a lot of interest for that too, a james bond RPG!, sign me up.
Mass Effect 2 I didn't mind because it was so much like a movie, but.. the pacing of the game went out the window.

I have no doubt Bioware will never return to making games like BG2, the corporate overlord would never sign off on the ROI that would be forecast for an oldschool squad RPG. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
They're all games where you manage ability cooldowns and enemy aggro.

Starcraft and League of Legends are also both games where you manage units with active abilities in real time, and your goal is to destroy the enemy base in short matches.

I'm not saying they don't share similar mechanics. I'm saying that your conclusion that DA:I is to DA2 what DA2 is to DA:O doesn't seem to have much basis. Other than your usual inclination towards baseless provocation.

Your trolls work much better when they're rooted in truth. That's when they hurt.

EDIT: also, why did you have to tell me Josh liked Assassin's Creed? I really wasn't looking for an excuse to think less of the man.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
No - for many reasons.

1. It's Electronic Arts - they pissed me over a few times.
2. It's Bioware - they pissed me over a few times.
3. It's Dragon Age - the first game pissed me over.
4. Metacritic - user rating of 5.5 (I take this into account before I buy mainstream stuff)
5. Codex - I need to play all the following again (or for the first time) PLUS those listed by the Steam Curator before I lose my self-respect and dignity by installing any trash from Bioware/ EA.

1 Planescape: Torment
3 Fallout 2
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
5 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
6 Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines
11 Deus Ex
12 Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13 Jagged Alliance 2
14 Dark Souls
15 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
16 Betrayal at Krondor
17 Baldur's Gate
18 Darklands
20 Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
21 The Temple of Elemental Evil
22 Icewind Dale
22 System Shock 2
25 Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
27 Knights of the Chalice
28 Might and Magic: World of Xeen
29 Alpha Protocol
30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
33 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
37 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
37 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
39 Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
42 Wasteland
43 Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
43 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
47 Anachronox
47 Geneforge
47 Pools of Darkness
51 Albion
52 Drakensang: River of Time
54 King of Dragon Pass
54 Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
56 Divine Divinity
56 Mount & Blade: Warband
61 ADOM - Ancient Domains of Mystery
61 Neverwinter Nights 2
66 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
68 Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
69 Dark Heart of Uukrul
69 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
71 Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
71 Wizards & Warriors

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I... I... bought it...

... on console.

Can we still be friends, guys?

In all honesty, I like Bioware games -well, most of them. NWN, Jade Empire and DA2 are pretty damn terrible in my book-, and since I think DAO it's their best work since BG2, I enjoy the setting, and I had the money, it was very tempting for me to buy it. In the end it's another mixed bag from Bioware, but I enjoy it, to an extent.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
From a Mr DragonKnight, a Metacritic user score

In my opinion, this is the best RPG in the modern gaming world. Excellent work, Bioware. Under the glorious enlightenment and guidance from EA, a game publisher with precise long-term vision in future game development, Bioware finally manages to make a RPG suitable for everyone, but not just a game accessible only to a minority of hardcore RPG players.

DA: Origins is an old-school and medicore game only appealing to a tiny market niche. DA II breaks the medicority, and introduces the popular mass effect decision tree and button-mashing mechanics, which attracts tons of Call Of Duty (COD) and action gamers around the world, contributing to its great success. However, it still suffers from a linear and small game world, and repetitive dungeons.

DA: Inquisition evolves from its predecessors by combining the best elements of 2 popular RPGs in modern era. It adopts the sandbox open world, lightweight RPG perspective and enormous fetch quest system from the highly praised Elder Scroll Skyrim, as well as the popular decision tree mechanism and the combat elements from another Bioware's master piece, Mass Effects 3.

By having a cohesive reasonance of 2 best elements from 2 outstanding RPGs, and adding tons of creative elements, this game simply becomes one larger than the sum of all parts. You have a large world to explore, tons of item collection and FedEx quests to play with, and the best button mashing mechanics to finish off your opponents. Skyrim and this game is great because they both remove the annoying character stat building mechanism. Stat is now only granted from equipment, how amazing and creative, isn't it? In addition, this game adopts the perfect RPG gaming style of Skyrim, i.e. explore first, just forget the plot, which removes player's frustration to recall memory about the main quest and story line. This is just like a great and sincere invitation to all COD fans and action gamers, as well as any potential causal gamers. It caters for the taste of all gamers around the world via greatly enhancing its accessibility. It is a master of everything rather than a jerk of all trade. This is a game for everyone!

You may worry about that the return of the old-school tactical view from the mediocre DA:Origins may ruin your fantastic game play experience. Don't worry about that, it is just implemented for those hardcore players for their happiness in pausing the game all the time, breaking the pace of combat. This game can be handled easily by controlling your own character only under an action game style. The tactics setting of companion is simplified to an user friendly level for further accessibility. In contrast to DA: Origins, you can’t set up some complicated tactics for your companions, but this is unnecessary anyway. Friendly fire is disabled by default, so just forget your companions, and let them either fight or fall. You can handle fights easily by charging upfront and having high reflex in right timing of attack, dodge and button mashing. You can enjoy a fluid flow of combat all the time!

Overall, by removing the complexity and annoyance from old-school RPG, adding the best elements from 2 most famous modern RPGs, and introducing an exciting button mashing combat mechanics to the game, this game has reached the highest height of RPGs that none in the world could ever reach. This is a milestone of RPG development, and should be referred to in future development of RPGs. Today is an important day that marks the beginning of revolution in RPG history! A new era of RPG has come! From now on, we can step forwards and forget about all classic RPGs in the old-school days. Everyone, express your praise and gratitude towards our beloved developers, and join us to have fun in this master piece of art now!

In case if there are expansions or sequels for this gift from god, which are highly probable considering how successful this game is, we really hope that first-person shooting mode, QTEs and the mechanism of climbing tower to reveal map can be implemented. This will further induces passion from every gamers, because these elements are universally regarded by every gamer as the best features that have ever existed in shooter and action games!

By the way, I am looking forwards to see at least 1000 DLCs for this game, because its scope is so huge, and with so much potential to further expand on. Don't keep us waiting, our wallets are ready! We hope that our beloved developers will listen to our suggestion and request, and release the DLCs and expansions ASAP for us. ;)

JasonNH

Augur
I would take a look at it for a sale price if it came via a distribution other than Origin on PC, but having to install that crap to play it is simply insult to injury. The writing looks pretty bad though, which is the only reason I'd be curious, so perhaps not even then.

Perkel

Arcane
@Infinitron

Your poll is shit. It doesn't account fags looking for torrents that will later say that "I didn't buy game but i wanked to tranny bull sex"

Perkel

Arcane
Maybe it should be put this way:

- i want to buy it/ bought it
- i don't want to buy it/didn't bought it and i don't want to waste my bandwidth
- gonna torrent that shit

When i look at codex:

goebbels4-sized.jpg

i see fags waiting with their hands on their dicks waiting for their torrent game.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I... I... bought it...
Hush, it's okay.. we all make mista-
... on console.
:what:

Regarding Bioware
From what I've seen so far, it seems that Bioware has lost it's spark, it's selfconfidence. They used to be gamers, making games for other gamers and hit the right nerve by doing what they did. But then they switched to a "how can we sell the maximum amount of copies" approach, looking too much on what other good selling games do and getting too much influenced by a vocal minority. Now instead of having their own identity, they're just mashing together things other games did better and can't understand why it does not work anymore.
They used to be the ones driving the train, but now they are just desperately trying to hop on and get a piece of the cake.
Maybe the wrong people left, maybe it's EA's influence... we will never know.

DraQ

Arcane
No - for many reasons.

1. It's Electronic Arts - they pissed me over a few times.
2. It's Bioware - they pissed me over a few times.
3. It's Dragon Age - the first game pissed me over.
4. Metacritic - user rating of 5.5 (I take this into account before I buy mainstream stuff)
5. Codex - I need to play all the following again (or for the first time) PLUS those listed by the Steam Curator before I lose my self-respect and dignity by installing any trash from Bioware/ EA.

1 Planescape: Torment
3 Fallout 2
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
5 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
6 Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines
11 Deus Ex
12 Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13 Jagged Alliance 2
14 Dark Souls
15 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
16 Betrayal at Krondor
17 Baldur's Gate
18 Darklands
20 Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
21 The Temple of Elemental Evil
22 Icewind Dale
22 System Shock 2
25 Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
27 Knights of the Chalice
28 Might and Magic: World of Xeen
29 Alpha Protocol
30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
33 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
37 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
37 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
39 Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
42 Wasteland
43 Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
43 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
47 Anachronox
47 Geneforge
47 Pools of Darkness
51 Albion
52 Drakensang: River of Time
54 King of Dragon Pass
54 Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
56 Divine Divinity
56 Mount & Blade: Warband
61 ADOM - Ancient Domains of Mystery
61 Neverwinter Nights 2
66 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
68 Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
69 Dark Heart of Uukrul
69 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
71 Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
71 Wizards & Warriors
No prime-numbered TES?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree with Grunker that buying this game doesn't prevent me from *supporting indies*.

The guys who designed the UI and the basic mechanics like movement etc are utter retards. Think about it, 1) you cannot mouse-move. (pressing both mouse buttons to move & change directions) Even in DAO you could mouse-move. DA2 too. Here you can't. 2) you cannot point & click either

So that means you HAVE to WASD to move and even better: while you're WASDing you have to also press keybinds like R (autoattack), 1-8 skills etc. I mean keybinds are great - if you can mouse-move, but having to press your keybinds AND WASDing at the same time - who comes up with this shit? Would be completely unplayable for me had I not a Razer Naga and therefor could use the 8 - yes you can only ever bind 8 skills, even though you will end up with more than 8 rather soon - skills from the thumb area of the mouse while using the left hand to WASD like a retard.

Actually hitting your intended target is also often a matter of luck. Example: I'll stealth, sneak up and do Shadow Strike. The target is knocked down. I attack him, he's right infront of me but I'm only stabbing the air because the game apparently can't figure out how to stab an enemy that's knocked down. The combat experience is truly a complete clusterfuck and makes you wonder how it is possible that this shit gets past quality assurance.

In their valiant quest to make the character system of their games a bit shittier with each new game, BioWare took a gigantic leap forward with this one. Stat points are gone. I mean, you still have stats but you don't get points to increase them anymore, except through your skill trees (while unlocking your skill trees there will be a skill here and there that also does +3 Dex or +3 Cunning etc) and equipment. When crafting for your rogue you will pick ingredients that give +Dex or Cunning, while crafting for a warrior you instead pick the ones which give +STR or CON. The skill trees have been cut down again, you'll have less options again compared to DA2 and yet - for the 8 slots you have to bind abilities there are still too many.

One of the positive things in DA2 was that you could make your companions function fairly well on their own by setting up elaborate tactics for them. Gone. Now you can just adjust whether they use or don't use an ability, that's it. Usually they use an ability as soon as it's off cooldown whether it makes sense or not.

The pretty large open-world areas are filled with banal MMO-like content, except RK47 is right when he says that an actual MMO for instance, like SWTOR, has better, more involved, filler content. Of course, SWTOR also has a way more complex character system and an enjoyable and functional action combat system, so...

The few story quests I did so far (I'm lvl11 now) are indeed leaps and bounds above the other dreck and I enjoyed those so far, but quite frankly, I'm uncertain whether this is because they're really that awesome or if it's just the fact that they contrast favorably to the mind-numbing tedium leading up to them.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
No. I still have to play the first two, and I'm not really a huge fan of Bioware's games. So that means that I have about 999 games to play first.

Also EA's games need at least a year to work properly.

DraQ

Arcane
Regarding Bioware
From what I've seen so far, it seems that Bioware has lost it's spark, it's selfconfidence. They used to be gamers, making games for other gamers and hit the right nerve by doing what they did. But then they switched to a "how can we sell the maximum amount of copies" approach, looking too much on what other good selling games do and getting too much influenced by a vocal minority.
In other words they switched from whales to landwhales.
:martini:

Now instead of having their own identity, they're just mashing together things other games did better and can't understand why it does not work anymore.
:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom