Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Let's settle this - did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Did you buy Dragon Age: Inquisition?

• Yes

Votes: 65 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 536 89.2%

• Total voters

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RK47's videos are enough, thank you very fucking much.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm actually on the fence right now.

* I swore I would never install Origin, but eh, I recently decided life's too short to not play a game I want to play because of something dumb like that.

* I do hate EA and would prefer not to give them money, but see above.

* I liked DA:O a lot. It wasn't the perfect game, but it pushed a lot of the right buttons for me. I cared about a lot of the stuff I did, I was invested in the environments, I had a crush on the chick with the French accent, the decision whether to kill the demon possessed kid was like, whoa, going way down under the dwarven city into the ruins was sufficiently scary ... in short, I bought into it. Played through to the end and cared almost the whole time.

* I got burned by DA2. Full price purchase, quickly regretted. I remember the total lack of character motivation for Act II. I'm a guy in a town living in my mom's house, so I need to raise a ton of money to hire a team of suicidal fortune hunters to risk all our lives fighting monsters in some dungeon under the city? What the fuck? I remember meeting a gang of Qunari outside of town and them blathering on and on about how they couldn't trust the Templars or god who cares. I really remember thinking, I guess this is a story that I should be paying attention to and trying to comprehend because maybe I would care about any of this if I did. But I couldn't bring myself to do either. The companions were too over the top to care about: the tattooed elf with the anime buster sword, the cleric guy made of pure magic energy or something, so flashy yet so devoid of substance, all joining up with me for no reason. The last straw was the teleporting enemies. Don't bother putting your squishy characters at the back, because guys will just appear right next to them and kill them. It wasn't even that it was hard, it was just so insulting. I could continue to shred DA2 but this rant has gone on long enough. Never bothered to finish.

* I was actually ready to buy DA:I last night when I saw a gmg 25% off voucher, but then it didn't work and there is a whole thing going on about that right now.

* I have heard good things from people whose taste I trust, although maybe they're not as critical or sophisticated as myself.

* Reviews are saying some things I like to hear.

* I actually enjoy MMO style gameplay sometimes, when all those other stupid players aren't around to ruin everything.

* I would like a good 100 hour chewing-gum game for the holidays. Doesn't have to be great; enjoyable and mindless will do in a pinch.

When looking at installing Origin I realized that ME3 is now $20, and I did want to finish that trilogy because there's supposed to be some stuff worth seeing (and yes, a horrible ending, yes yes, I did hear that once or twice, I can live with it). So maybe I'll pick that up instead.

Really I guess I should watch a DA:I LP or two before I commit my $. But I think I'll go for it when I can get it for $40 or so. This thread has been helpful and will continue to influence my decision.

Ulrox

Arbiter
* I actually enjoy MMO style gameplay sometimes, when all those other stupid players aren't around to ruin everything.

* I would like a good 100 hour chewing-gum game for the holidays. Doesn't have to be great; enjoyable and mindless will do in a pinch.

Buy guildwars 2 - I've invested 500 hours into that game - better than what I've seen from inquisition pretty much all the way around unless you like really cheesy stories.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Many thanks Grunker. Yes, that is absolutely true. If you are not controlling the charcater in question, once they've done what you want them to do, they start to do whatever they want. I said that before, I think. But again, it's still a point & click system, just dumbed down to make it more comfortable to controllers and action players.

It's not though.

Let me make this as simple as possible: in Dragon Age Origins you can't miss, no matter what. Click the enemy, hit them with every attack. If they move out of range the PC automatically moves too to keep the attacks hitting. In Dragon Age Inquisition not only can you miss an enemy, you often do because they move around so much and your attacks are somewhat clunky. This is in melee mind you, an archer or mage is easier to use in this respect, though they still miss somewhat frequently for a variety of reasons.

Now, if you play the ENTIRE GAME in tactics mode and let the AI control the walking and targeting then perhaps it could be an Origins style game, in that mode. The camera isn't well-suited to playing the entire game that way however, nor are the controls (in either version) comfortable enough for that to be 100% of your combat experience. Also trash mobs don't deserve that much attention.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Many thanks Grunker. Yes, that is absolutely true. If you are not controlling the charcater in question, once they've done what you want them to do, they start to do whatever they want. I said that before, I think. But again, it's still a point & click system, just dumbed down to make it more comfortable to controllers and action players.

It's not though.

Let me make this as simple as possible: in Dragon Age Origins you can't miss, no matter what. Click the enemy, hit them with every attack. If they move out of range the PC automatically moves too to keep the attacks hitting. In Dragon Age Inquisition not only can you miss an enemy, you often do because they move around so much and your attacks are somewhat clunky. This is in melee mind you, an archer or mage is easier to use in this respect, though they still miss somewhat frequently for a variety of reasons.

Now, if you play the ENTIRE GAME in tactics mode and let the AI control the walking and targeting then perhaps it could be an Origins style game, in that mode. The camera isn't well-suited to playing the entire game that way however, nor are the controls (in either version) comfortable enough for that to be 100% of your combat experience. Also trash mobs don't deserve that much attention.
I agree with what you say. The "actiony" bits added to Inquisition, although most notorious with the 3rd person, it's obviously mildly present with the tactical camera. That's the thing when you try to appease to two totally opposite game styles, you end with a compromise that doesn't quite work for one or the other.

Although I play almost every fight with more than two enemies with the tactical camera, not because of tactics or anything (I've yet to see that in this game, every combat is tanking with one or two characters and start spamming habilites without almost any though), but because it's easier to correct the estupid behaviour of the AI.
I only think that, despite the changes, it's still not an action game in my book, although it has definitely elements of it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree with what you say. The "actiony" bits added to Inquisition, although most notorious with the 3rd person, it's obviously mildly present with the tactical camera. That's the thing when you try to appease to two totally opposite game styles, you end with a compromise that doesn't quite work for one or the other.

Although I play almost every fight with more than two enemies with the tactical camera, not because of tactics or anything (I've yet to see that in this game, every combat is tanking with one or two characters and start spamming habilites without almost any though), but because it's easier to correct the estupid behaviour of the AI.
I only think that, despite the changes, it's still not an action game in my book, although it has definitely elements of it.

Oh it's definitely trying to be a hybrid that appeals to both camps and ends up not being great for anyone. That's been Bioware's thing for a while now.

When I say it's an action game now I mean it's tipped the scales in my opinion into at least 51% action game. Dragon Age 2 made some random gestures toward action game but was still a tactical game for the most part to me. This one tips it over. And when I say that note there are other elements that cause me to in addition to direct control combat being what it is. The tactics menu has been stripped of almost all options, the abilities are much more active combat focused rather than crowd control focused, 95% of enemy encounters are random spawns and not designed in any way, since the enemies move so much position doesn't matter, since abilities are limited you have to turn them all off if you ever want to control your party's use of them. And, whether you think it works for 100% of combat time or not, I find the tactical mode limited, too close to the ground and limited in options. I can't even use it at all with my archer because it doesn't let me see far enough away.

It's not just the lack of auto-attack and having to aim that makes me call this one an action game.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Oh it's definitely trying to be a hybrid that appeals to both camps and ends up not being great for anyone. That's been Bioware's thing for a while now.

When I say it's an action game now I mean it's tipped the scales in my opinion into at least 51% action game. Dragon Age 2 made some random gestures toward action game but was still a tactical game for the most part to me. This one tips it over. And when I say that note there are other elements that cause me to in addition to direct control combat being what it is. The tactics menu has been stripped of almost all options, the abilities are much more active combat focused rather than crowd control focused, 95% of enemy encounters are random spawns and not designed in any way, since the enemies move so much position doesn't matter, since abilities are limited you have to turn them all off if you ever want to control your party's use of them. And, whether you think it works for 100% of combat time or not, I find the tactical mode limited, too close to the ground and limited in options. I can't even use it at all with my archer because it doesn't let me see far enough away.

It's not just the lack of auto-attack and having to aim that makes me call this one an action game.
I see your point, and although for me it doesn't make me consider it more action game than tactical -trying to be, at least-, can't say I disagree with what you exposed.

And I don't think the tactical camera works 100%, it's quite a mess as you say. I use it frequently because, despite it's many flaws, it's the easiest way to mantain your companions in check, because the AI is fucking atrocious.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buy guildwars 2 - I've invested 500 hours into that game - better than what I've seen from inquisition pretty much all the way around unless you like really cheesy stories.
Good advice, thanks for that. I do play GW2 but it gets samey pretty fast. DA:I might be a nice change of scenery. Plus I do like cheesy stories if they're good enough to make me care at least a little (DAO did, DA2 didn't). I cry at corny movies and so forth, so the better written of Bioware's pandering can be sufficiently good to be worth my time. From what I hear DAI's story at least makes sense, plus all the MMO quests at least attempt to tie in to the main mission of building the Inquisition's influence.

Delterius

Arcane
Good advice, thanks for that. I do play GW2 but it gets samey pretty fast. DA:I might be a nice change of scenery. Plus I do like cheesy stories if they're good enough to make me care at least a little (DAO did, DA2 didn't). I cry at corny movies and so forth, so the better written of Bioware's pandering can be sufficiently good to be worth my time. From what I hear DAI's story at least makes sense, plus all the MMO quests at least attempt to tie in to the main mission of building the Inquisition's influence.
As someone who used to play World of Warcraft, I think its safe to say that you'll enjoy the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When I say it's an action game now I mean it's tipped the scales in my opinion into at least 51% action game.
This phrasing works better for me.

I'm not holding my breath for Bioware to patch camera, control, and AI issues but it's a possibility. Many things are possible until enough time passes to prove they aren't.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Been a while since I've bought a Bioware game and DAI just confirms there is no point in doing so unless I were hit by a streak of self-hate. Shitty combat that does neither tactical nor action well, shitty asscreed fed exploration, shitty Team Diversity party line up, shitty story (having watched spoilers about the nature of the game story and ending, I'm wondering how the more optimistic idiots will react here), not even the graphics can save it as they might be using a good engine but their artists manage to make humanoids, armor etc look like utter shit.

I wouldn't play it even if it was given out for free on Origin.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I did not buy Dragon Age II or Mass Effect 3. Last game I bought (before DA:I) released that was made from BioWare was Mass Effect 2. I bought Inquisition because it was either that, Lords of the Fallen or Bound by Flame.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If you like MMO questing and exploration just imagine that with quick save and Dragon Age Origins main story missions and story. There ya go, done.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I've just never been able to get into MMO's at all they just all feel so.... shitty..and I get bored easily. I still have Secretyy World, and that seems really interesting, I just can't be bothered to put any time into it, I even got a bata key for ESOn.. what a pile of kaka.

I just guess they aren't my thing.

Angthoron

Arcane
I got my free annual BioWare sig-worthy quote, free lulz and a nice load of schdenfreude. If Bio had a PayPal I'd send them a dime for the entertainment.

A user named cat

I never even played the first Dragon Age and gave up on Bioware as a whole within 10 minutes of trying to play Mass Effect 1 years ago. Get out of here, stalker.

DraQ

Arcane
I am getting a deja vu from the time when Skyrim's dump-downiness was hit by the 'dex's rightious wrath. Stats gone, multipliers gone, where is ma acrobatix/athletix... funny thing was: it didn't bother me while playing. Having to use a skill you never wanted to use just to increase your manapool wasn't exactly an essential feature. Individuality was created through the "increase while using" skills. Loss of skill reqs for guilds still sucked though.
The actual bad thing about those was loss of additional effects of stats (like agility->better balance, more difficult to stagger or knock down) and loss of stat-based mobility.
If it was up to me I'd have kept the base stats, ditched both athletics, acrobatics and armor skills (or replace them with some useful actives), and make the speed and jumping dependent on base stats while making heavy armor all around better, but also conferring mobility penalties and penalizing characters with poor str or end - simple.

Multipliers or advancing only from class-skills should never have been there in the first place. The former should have either been multiplier-less point assignment on level up, static attributes or auto attribute level up based on skills used, the latter should work like it does in Skyrim, with the exception of skill advancement difficulty being independent of individual skill's level, but affected by the sum of all skills. Also failure mechanics, dammit.

Loss of spellmaker was lamentable - it would have been glorious with all the runes, concentration spells and whatnot - it would be even more glorious if attribs were kept around.
So was loss of mysticism (becuase a lot of effects ended up assigned to the remaining schools in retarded manner - how is ward restoration, detect life alteration or clairvoyance illusion?).

Bought it for ~$16, from our Russian discounter. On the one hand, game (I haven't completed it and barely started) isn't worth the price (at least at the beginning, I've heard it both there and on other sites that it gets better, but I haven't reached that mark, if it even exists). On the other hand - at least I haven't bought it for full western price. Still planning to make a LP when I will have the time.

btbgfel

Scholar
DA:I looks like a improved Neverwinter Nights 2 without toolset to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom