Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: RTwP CRPGs vs RTS games

How do you feel about RTwP CRPGs and RTS games?

• I hate both RTwP and RTS. Only Turn Based for me.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I tolerate RTwP, but hate RTS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I like RTwP, but hate RTS.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I like both RTwP and RTS.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I like RTwP and I'm neutral about RTS

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don't care wether a game is real time or turn based.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I recently had a new thought (yes, it still occasionally happens) inspired by Jason Liang's shit polling: is there any correlation between hatred for RTwP combat in CRPGs and ditto for Real Time Strategy games?

Myself I prefer turn based, but don't mind RTwP, but can rarely stomach real time if controling more than one character.

So this is mostly aimed at those who hate RTwP. Do you also hate RTS?

DexRiwus

Novice
Turn-Based is way better than RTwP if there is 4 or more player characters. RTwP is better for games with 1-3 characters. RTS is a genre, not gameplay mechanic, why is it here?

Mustawd

I also hate RTS, yes. Only RTS I ever liked was C&C/Red alert series. And that’s only cuz I was a kid.

EDIT: RT is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"I hate both RTwP and RTS. Only Turn Based for me." What if we hate both RTS games and RTwP RPGs, but we like many RPGs with real-time systems other than decline-style RTwP? Asking for a friend. :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
RTS is a genre, not gameplay mechanic, why is it here?

Because that is what I was wondering about?
Also because if people hate RTwP because of lack of proper control and game being too hectic, how can they love RTS games?

"I hate both RTwP and RTS. Only Turn Based for me." What if we hate both RTS games and RTwP RPGs, but we like many RPGs with real-time systems other than decline-style RTwP? Asking for a friend. :M

It's perfectly normal to like single character real time games.
I wouldn't worry.

Dr. Octavius

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RTS games would be more bearable if you could pause them and give commands (like the Paradox Grand Strategy titles do it). RTwP usually doesn't have the clusterfuck problem to the same extent, due to the smaller amount of units involved.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Turn based is 50/50 there is a lot of good games and a lot of slow tedious shit like wiz 8. I prefer when TB is an option or if it is fast and fluid. For strategy games i find it pretty shit and boring,super rarely i like TB strategies. I am surprised at how many people want all rpgs to be turn based.

Anomander

Educated
You should add options like:
Hate RTwP, like RTS
Tolerate RTwP, like RTS
etc.
RTwP being cRPGs.
I personaly don't like RTwP but I like RTS. It's completely different things.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I like TB as long as it's not too slow and tedious (wiz 8 for example)

I like RTWP as long as it's not too mind numbing and repetitive (IWD 2,NWN 1, NWN 2)

I like RTS games as long as they don't suck (nearly every RTS since 2002)

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
True real time systems as in RTS games are much more fluid and interesting than the BG-style RtwP which tries to force a "turn" structure into a real time system, thereby creating some weird system that often feels sluggish and non-fluid (NWN is the best example for a terrible implementation of this).

I love RTS, was my favourite genre of my childhood before I discovered RPGs, and still occasionally play Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology in multiplayer on Steam. I also greatly enjoy the real time battles of the Total War games (too bad the AI is shit in all of them), they're just insane amounts of fun.

RtwP in most RPGs is kinda meh though, because of the way they try to jam some kind of "round" based system into the real time combat.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
True real time systems as in RTS games are much more fluid and interesting than the BG-style RtwP which tries to force a "turn" structure into a real time system, thereby creating some weird system that often feels sluggish and non-fluid (NWN is the best example for a terrible implementation of this).

I love RTS, was my favourite genre of my childhood before I discovered RPGs, and still occasionally play Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology in multiplayer on Steam. I also greatly enjoy the real time battles of the Total War games (too bad the AI is shit in all of them), they're just insane amounts of fun.

RtwP in most RPGs is kinda meh though, because of the way they try to jam some kind of "round" based system into the real time combat.

You ever play the paradox games? Seems like they'd be up your alley if you like the TW games and AOE2.

laclongquan

Arcane
Like RTwP but neutral to RTS

The RTS I liked can be counted on one hand
1. Best is Warzone 2100. I still would like a modern graphic to go with that game, as it is blocky nearly enough to be unlikeable for me.

2. Mech Commander 2 and Ground Control.

3. AoE series in the rage of RTS and my student days so you can not blame me for that.

Anyway, RTS is playable if it has a pause button for me to stop and figure shits out~

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You ever play the paradox games? Seems like they'd be up your alley if you like the TW games and AOE2.

Of course I do.

mondblut

Arcane
The RTS (the proper place-buildings-next-to-each-other, send-peasant-to-cut-wood, click-and-drag-to-select-a-horde kind) are fucking retarded in general, not simply on the grounds of being realtime. Every aspect of their gameplay oozes stupidity. How did that "genre" gain any traction outside of twitchy multiplayer dorks and managed spawn a billion of identical games clones reskins, still puzzles me two decades after it was finally mercykilled (and there was much rejoicing). It was a cancer worse than FPS.

Non-retarded strategy games which unfortunately play in RT, like Paradox games (with liberally applied autopause) or TW type combat, are occasionally acceptable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Like RTwP but neutral to RTS

The RTS I liked can be counted on one hand
1. Best is Warzone 2100. I still would like a modern graphic to go with that game, as it is blocky nearly enough to be unlikeable for me.

2. Mech Commander 2 and Ground Control.

3. AoE series in the rage of RTS and my student days so you can not blame me for that.

Anyway, RTS is playable if it has a pause button for me to stop and figure shits out~
You are old mate :).

Of course I do.
I am surprised that people even ask you such a thing. Seeing how not many games let you paint the world in the colour of your country,religion and culture.

DraQ

Arcane
Because that is what I was wondering about?
Also because if people hate RTwP because of lack of proper control and game being too hectic, how can they love RTS games?
In an RTS you have fuckton of interchangable units. Losing one due to poor control is of as much consequence as failing to-hit roll when fighting a horde of low level mooks in an RPG.

Anyway, due to to lack of coverage in the poll: thread suck, OP is a faggot.

It's perfectly normal to like single character real time games.
That I can agree with.

PrettyDeadman

I don't hate RTwP, but it's just a very poor system for isometric game.
Too slow, too shallow, imprecise and etc. Every game which had it would've been MUCH better if it had turn-based combat. It never ADDS anything. The only reason it keeps getting used is because game producer have no faith in intellectual abilities / attention span of gamers.
It the definition of DECLINE.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
RTwP adds one thing: the concept of simultaneity within what is in reality a turn based system. Instead of each unit performing actions in turn, they do it simultaneously which makes for a very different dynamic.
Yes, I would prefer real TB too, but overall it works well enough in the IE games. And it does provide a very differnent experience from Gold Box games and FRUA; since they already provided a good (although quite limited) TB system, I personally didn't feel that it was such a loss that IE games were RTwP.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom