Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: RTwP CRPGs vs RTS games

How do you feel about RTwP CRPGs and RTS games?

• I hate both RTwP and RTS. Only Turn Based for me.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I tolerate RTwP, but hate RTS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I like RTwP, but hate RTS.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I like both RTwP and RTS.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I like RTwP and I'm neutral about RTS

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don't care wether a game is real time or turn based.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

Beastro

Arcane
Where's the "Neutral towards RTwP but love RTS" option?

I love RTS', but the problem I have about many is the Starcraft click fest many become that ignores both more grounded tactical as well as strategic gameplay. The last real one I played was Dawn of War 1 and I was surprisingly good at it on MP than what I was expecting, but what I really long for is a return of the old Blitzkrieg series that strikes a balance between the first and second games given the wide gulf between them.

RTS games would be more bearable if you could pause them and give commands (like the Paradox Grand Strategy titles do it). RTwP usually doesn't have the clusterfuck problem to the same extent, due to the smaller amount of units involved.

What I wish RTS had had, but never came outside of maybe Supreme Commander (which I never got a chance of playing), is strategic scope on a large map where territory has to be held on a far larger scale than most RTS' so it forces you to strike a balance between quality and quantity given that you'll never be able to hold everything with a small elite force.

What I always loved was small fights, but to then have them expanded onto a wider scope where you have some base shit tier units holding a forward recon base cut off and in need of help, but too far and lacking value to send major relief forces for both side so it comes down to finding whatever each side can throw at it that is available where something like a AFV or artillery piece would become a major assist that could swing the battle in that region.

Non-retarded strategy games which unfortunately play in RT, like Paradox games (with liberally applied autopause) or TW type combat, are occasionally acceptable.

If the strategic, out of combat side of TW games had the depth of Paradox games I'd agree, but TW games are shallow outside of battle and only keep becoming more and more that way as time goes on.

I haven't yet tried Medieval 1, which seems to be the only one that came the closest to doing that before Rome TW set the trend towards more and more simplification.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
RTWP is bad in RPG and in RTS are worse, quite boring games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom