Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Should Pillars of Eternity be listed on the Codex' Steam Curator List?

Should Pillars of Eternity be listed on the Codex' Steam Curator List?

• Total voters

Mortmal

Arcane
This is not as simple as a yes or no poll, either you keep poe but include VD or roxxor review , same treatment than other games no favoritism. Or you remove it but theres indeed a lot of shit on the curator list who deserves it too. Games recommended no one here wants to play and certainly wont recommend to friends, games people really plays hundred of hours but not included. This is not just a yes or no its about the lack of transparency, who is adding recommendations and reviews and how they are doing it .

Gozma

Arcane
Voted Yes even though everyone that likes RTw/P is a semihuman animal

Andhaira

Arcane
This is not as simple as a yes or no poll, either you keep poe but include VD or roxxor review , same treatment than other games no favoritism.

This. Being a cRPG or at least average quality (I cannot judge because I have only played a few hours, but I am not a fan of the underlying system as I already stated) it should be on the Codex Curator page. But if we will have a grovelingly positive (almost apologetic) review then we should also have Darth Roxor's review as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
For once I agree with Roguey. Considering what else is on the list I don't see a reason why PoE shouldn't.
I have repeatedly argued against this line of reasoning, and I'm going to do it again. If you've already set a precedent for mediocrity, the solution is to refine your standards, not to use this as an excuse to run your standards into the ground. Whether it be a game list, Codex reviews, or anything under the sun. If a rowdy guest takes a shit in your living room, you kick them out and clean up, you don't go oh well there's already shit in my living room, I'm gonna stop using the toilet and take all my dumps here from now on.

If PoE is worthy of being on a list of CRPGs curated by the RPG Codex, then it stays. If not, it doesn't. If there are other games on there that shouldn't be, they get taken off. If there are others that should be added, they get added. It couldn't possibly be simpler.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Voted Yes. Purists who hate PoE out of principle just for being an RTwP game need to shut up already. Despite some minor shortcomings, overall PoE broadcasts greatness and incline and absolutely deserves to be endorsed by the Codex.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Voted Yes. Purists who hate PoE out of principle just for being an RTwP game need to shut up already. Despite some minor shortcomings, overall PoE broadcasts greatness and incline and absolutely deserves to be endorsed by the Codex.

Not to destroy your strawman or anything but plenty of people who loved the BG and IWD for their combat were left highly disappointed by PoE. Sensuki had that whole crusade thing going on.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Well, from the results of the poll, it looks like we need to make a game called KingComrade because it has a lot of support.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Not to destroy your strawman or anything but plenty of people who loved the BG and IWD for their combat were left highly disappointed by PoE.
I think "plenty" and "highly" are exaggerations. I myself agree that PoE combat system can't exactly hold a candle to AD&D and that IE was a better engine than Obsidian's Unity 2.5D. But there's a difference between valid criticism and denouncing a game as trash.

Sensuki had that whole crusade thing going on.
Ah, Sensuki. It's a sad story. As one of those who frequented Obsidian forums during Backer Beta I witnessed his gradual descent into madness. Let me just say that he probably did more in-depth beta-testing than Obsidian/Paradox paid staff which is commendable. I feel obliged to cut him some slack - he did so much for PoE that he deserves a right to have a strong opinion. However, some of the bugs he reported were never fixed and some of his many suggestions were never implemented. Eventually he started to overreact. What he perceived as neglect was most probably just business common sense: what we can't fix right away will have to wait till expansion or next installment.

Like I said, it's a sad story. Rather than continuing his work on IEMod which could potentally become a complete overhaul (since it's so easy to decompile and modify C#), Sensuki succumbed to destructive tendencies and his current stance doesn't benefit anyone.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In fairness, Sensuki's opinions turned out to be pretty spot-on. I truly believe his suggestions for changing combat would have been greatly beneficial. I, too, lament the abandoning of the IEmod.

Black

Arcane
I want to change my vote from no to yes so that Codex Curator List is even bigger of a joke.

A horse of course

I'm not sure what's more humiliating - Dragon Age: Origins or Pillars of Eternity being on the list.

I know people love to defend shit games with "well it might get people interested in X genre and play old games" but more likely scenarios are:

A - They find PoE boring as fuck as decide old crap like IWD or BG2 must be just as bad, or worse.

B - They have shit taste and like PoE, encouraging RTWP games to follow in the same vein.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The curator list is awesome. It's basically a list of games the codex as a whole easily gets butthurt about.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I am far from being a purist. I just loathe PoE because it's shit.

LOL @ "minor shortcomings".

And yet, of course, being turn-based would have made it slightly less shit. :M

A horse of course

It's bad but I wouldn't go that far. Where can you go with the sequels?

Anyway this just reinforces the point that the entire list is a joke and whether PoE goes up or not won't change that because it's already discredited. Something like Dark Souls you might be able to get away with by arguing that it's a good example of a particular RPG sub-genre or something, other stuff on there is just bad, period.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom