Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fallout 4
Sword Coast Legends
The Age of Decadence
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Legends of Eisenwald
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Pillars of Eternity
Avernum 2: Crystal Souls

In 2015 we had 2 post-apocalyptic RPG's, 3 high fantasy RPG's, 1 Dark Fantasy RPG, 1 Medieval Fantasy RPG and 1 Cyberpunk RPG
Here be Dragons!
And/Or Elves... Cowboys... Aliens... Dinosaurs... Space Jesus... Harry Dresden... Vault Dweller's...Robot's.

Sci-Fi-Vs-Fantasy.jpg

But we keep getting the same regurgitated setting with a small twist... So, what settings do you want to see in the next Codex approved™ RPG? and why?

Beowulf

Arcane
I long for good s-f games, but I personally don't care if we play as f**king fecal bacteria struggling to survive in american whale digestive tract as long as it's good.

With C&C.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dark high-fantasy steampunk western-opera set in alternate prehistoric near future.... with cats.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Clicked on basically everything besides High-Fantasy, as its just overused. But the setting itself is just second-rate priority since the way the setting is handled is much more important. What i dont get is why so many developers fear putting their own sort of twist into the setting to make it stand out.

Shin

Cipher
A time-travelliing horror adventure starting in an alternate history steampunk age and rewinding to the prehistory and proceeding from there all the way to some scifi space opera/cyberpunk SF adventure featuring western-style gunslingers. I like. But for real, maybe you should've asked which settings you DONT want to see, as I'd like to see about everything except high fantasy and low fantasy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I chose Hard-Scifi. I find it ridiculous the lack of scifi rpg's with complex themes and problems, most devolve into saving something from someone/something else without spending much time explaining whats going on and why to the player, only touching everything, thats not related to killing stuff, very superficially.

Why not a colonization of a different world rpg, where the actual science is taken into account and the obstacles that the colonists face to maintain stable living conditions are the main catalysts of the game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Superhero or Urban fantasy would be nice.
Modern day would too I guess, but what skill are you going to have? Tax paying? :) Nah, it is just I couldn't think what Modern Day RPG would have as a setting except war, and I'm really not interested in that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Superhero or Urban fantasy would be nice.
Modern day would too I guess, but what skill are you going to have? Tax paying? :) Nah, it is just I couldn't think what Modern Day RPG would have as a setting except war, and I'm really not interested in that.

Law enforcement, a detective rpg would be quite nice for example.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of the stuff in the list has already been done often enough or I don't see how it even lends itself to an interesting setting (modern day RPG? why?).

I'd like more RPGs set in other cultures, such as Arabian and Wuxia settings.

Also, you may want to add 'Historical' to your list of alternatives. I think we can use way more history inspired RPGs and the possibilities there are endless as you have literally the whole spectrum of human experience with all its history and culture to pick from.

bloodlover

Arcane
Steampunk and cyberpunk. There are very few notable games in these genres and they are a great change of pace from the eternal medieval fantasy setting.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Most of the stuff in the list has already been done often enough or I don't see how it even lends itself to an interesting setting (modern day RPG? why?).

I'd like more RPGs set in other cultures, such as Arabian and Wuxia settings.

Also, you may want to add 'Historical' to your list of alternatives. I think we can use way more history inspired RPGs and the possibilities there are endless as you have literally the whole spectrum of human experience with all its history and culture to pick from.

People were discussing this earlier in the shoutbox. An historical rpg by definition would leave very little leeway for player action, as the outcome of every actor in the setting is pre-determined by history, if you affect the outcome of history then you are moving into an alternate history setting.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd really like to see a game take inspiration from the Meiji era. Tons of factions playing eachother and trying to kill eachother, strong themes of tradition vs. progress, interesting mash of technology and a setting that allows for (though doesn't necessarily encourage) melee attacks when firearms exist.

So far the nearest we've gotten is the first and fourth Way of the Samurai games (The fourth is great and on PC now, though the first has forced iron man making it unplayable on an actual console due to how unreliable CD based PS2 games are)

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
An historical rpg by definition would leave very little leeway for player action, as the outcome of every actor in the setting is pre-determined by history, if you affect the outcome of history then you are moving into an alternate history setting.
Alternative history opens a way for "victorian steampunk dinosaurs in outer space" though that's why it didn't get a vote from me.

Voted prehistoric and hard s-f. Hard s-f in general is one of the most demanding things in fiction as it requires insight, perspective and knowledge because you can't put "it's mass effect/psychic/spice/whatever magic in work! It werks really" explanation anywhere and prehistoric... I WANT MY NEANDERTHAL RPG

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Law enforcement, a detective rpg would be quite nice for example.

Hmmm yeah those would be good. Didn't think about it hard enough.

And come to think of it, modern spy fiction RPG would counts as Modern day, no? Some games in the vein of Alpha Protocol would be nice.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Hard sci-fi. There are dozens of Philip K. Dick, Clarke, Asimov and Simmons stories that scream rpg, instead we get more skeletons and steampunk. Plus it would be cool to have some interesting AI's whose decades of planning can't be thwarted with a speech check.

Threw in science fantasy because of Ted Chiang's "Hell is the Absence of God", and Book of the New Sun.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Modern day would too I guess, but what skill are you going to have? Tax paying? :) Nah, it is just I couldn't think what Modern Day RPG would have as a setting except war,
I'd think of some setting like in the movie 'Enemy of the State'. You're some Joe Average who gets himself into the classical 'wrong place, wrong time' situation by accident and now the NSA pulls every possible lever to silence you.

Another one I'd love to see would be from the alternate history compartment. The setting would be in the spirit of the novel 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris. The game would be set in germany in the 60es after WWII was won by Hitler. In a film-noir style you unravel some horrible nazi secrets and get yourself into deep trouble. In the game's progress you gain the power to destroy the Nazi Regime... or you side with Hitler and seize the control! Man, the codex would love that game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom