Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

Beowulf

Arcane
Alternative history opens a way for "victorian steampunk dinosaurs in outer space" though that's why it didn't get a vote from me. [...]

My thoughts exactly - but if we have to move Expeditions:Conquistador and Darklands (and Kingdom Come) to alternate history, then let it be.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Adventure is the genre youre looking for. Or what exactly do you want to fight in a detective game?
Does a fight necessary in RPG? What is RPG anyway? :P
If we are talking about a big case laden with conspiracy? Probably a good idea like this:

I'd think of some setting like in the movie 'Enemy of the State'. You're some Joe Average who gets himself into the classical 'wrong place, wrong time' situation by accident and now the NSA pulls every possible lever to silence you.

You will be fighting, at the very least government agents. So that's your answer.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want more historical settings with magic or strange creatures based on real legends, something similar to Lionheart but more uh... ethnic. So, Alternate History, I guess. I wouldn't mind more High Fantasy but well done. There are many pseudo-Tolkien universes, but none or few transmit the drama and epic sense of high fantasy.

About specific settings, I think I'd enjoy a Dune or Babylon 5 RPG.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Two minds on this: I want either something totally original and weird, a dreamquest where Kadath really is unknown, and everything's fresh and original. Throw in cruel survival mechanics, an anal attention to detail, and a small theatre of conflict that is massively reactive and receptive to your choices. No Elves, no Dwarves, no Old Norse or Celtic inspiration, no cutesy American Buffy humour, or any of the usual shit we have to trawl through. Make combat fucking brutal, I mean a real meatgrinder where its almost not a choice, more something you sometimes have to risk but never would unless forced by circumstance.

On the other hand i'd like to strip away all the shit, play a gargantuan barbarian with a fifty pound axe or sword, piles of gold to claim, enemies to crush and see driven before you, half naked chainmail bikini clad women to lament as you get down to what comes naturally after pillaging, some weird old world setting, with forgotten remnants of Lovecraftian gods, forbidden shadow creatures, evolving ape men, monstrous creatures and demons from the id to combat. Bustling ancient cities full of life, grime and splendour that you tread beneath your sandalled feet. Enemies who are of ancient noble species whose line faltered and failed, who once ruled the earth but now are a few rare individuals mourning their lost glory.

Fucking, fighting, drinking, fist fighting, smoking the black lotus leaf, feasting on slaughtered pig, raiding tombs and stealing the treasures of bygone days, seizing crowns from the severed heads of effeminate monarchs, leading your horde into the heart of civilisation to rape and pillage, drinking heartblood from the skulls of your defeated foes, massive beards wet with ale, spit and blood. And a voice actor like Brian Blessed, roaring out his lines with massive gusto and joy, not the usual bog standard boring twat. Good old fashioned fun.

And tits, gigantic, firm, epic Frazetta bronzed busts wobbling under some thin excuse for containment. Imagine the complaints, glorious. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Mychkine

Educated
I'd really like to play a proper RPG in a proper space opera setting, with or without science fantasy elements in it. An RPG in a Babylon 5-like universe would please me a lot, with focus on both exploration of outer space and politics (broader sense). A proper RPG in such setting would be nice. I admit I liked ME 1 et 2 a lot (didn't try 3 thanks to bad reviews), but they are not proper RPG games, the second one being light on RPG elements even as an ARPG. A RPG based on the narrative of Firefly or Cowboy Bebop, focused on managing a space vessel with a seasonal approach (main quest metaplot and a lot of side quests) would also be very nice and I don't understand why no such RPG has been done recently.

Otherwise, my poor taste would be delighted with a Chtulu-pulp urban fantasy with mages and vampire game. Similarly, an intelligent urban fantasy game lilke VTMB, in or outside the WOD, would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Something based in the orient such as Japan or China. Water Margin, Ninjas, Samurai, Monkey, Budhism - there is a lot of potential there.

Jade Empire was certainly interesting but I would not call it RPG.

A decent (proper) RPG in the Elders Scrolls world would be something. Most of us are already familiar with the world and history. A party based/ PoE type thing could be something.

Agree also with the above poster about a proper Space type RPG - I played Megatraveller a long time ago which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Cazzeris

Pretty much all settings can be done well, but if anything there should be more experimentation with non-fantasy settings in RPGs.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
There is a void for good, modern, C&C horror RPG's.

The H.P. Lovecraft settings have always been my favorite: Quake 1, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

All that comes to mind are the Diablos and Van Helsings, both hack & slash.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I voted for 4-5 settings but Horror would be my favorite I think. Lovecraftian or something equivalent would be awesome. And I don't think there was ever a properly good RPG in such a setting(WoD aside)

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'd love to see Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' multiverse in game form: Planes hopping, timeline jumping, Oswald Bastable to Elric of Melniboné and Jerry Cornelius in-between.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom