Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Cold War spy RPG.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I voted almost everything except:
1. High fantasy = obvious, most crpg are already high fantasy. On the other hand a good and original high fantasy i would play. (aka = not forgotten realms-like, not bad tolkien rip-offs, etc...)
2. Dark fantasy = see above, again a good and original dark fantasy could be interesting but the chances for it are slim.
3. Time-travel = time travel doesn't make sense if made in a serious way so... no thanks
4. Pre-historic = no just because i don't like the idea.

Everything else i want more of. Except zombies.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Arrakis/Dune: Probably has enormous potential for C&C and backstabbing and violent/non violent playthroughs. CD Projekt could pull it off.

Does it, though? Considering how Faufreluches works and how strictly governed everything around Arrakis is on highest level, I doubt you could really do much unless it was a grand strategy game revolving primarily around politicking. I would like to see more of Dune's setting explored in games not set on Arrakis, though. Which would also help to conveniently sidestep the whole "do we adapt or mess with already existing material?" dilemma games based on story-heavy properties find themselves in. But then you have to wonder why bother if you're not going to tackle the whole Spice and shit.

I'd personally like a Dying Earth video game. If only to see if WotC, or whoever owns D&D at the moment, would actually dare sue over Vancian magic which they wholeheartedly stole from Dying Earth. And it's a pretty damn great setting from a period before SF and fantasy became so separated without going into silly JRPG kitchen sink territory.

tindrli

Arcane
I voted almost everything except:
1. High fantasy = obvious, most crpg are already high fantasy. On the other hand a good and original high fantasy i would play. (aka = not forgotten realms-like, not bad tolkien rip-offs, etc...)
2. Dark fantasy = see above, again a good and original dark fantasy could be interesting but the chances for it are slim.
3. Time-travel = time travel doesn't make sense if made in a serious way so... no thanks
4. Pre-historic = no just because i don't like the idea.

Everything else i want more of. Except zombies.

i must agree on zombies

Beastro

Arcane
No Ancient History/Mythology to select so I went for High Fantasy. :D

Johannes

Arcane
Anything with enough magic (or technology sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from it) to involve stuff that is actually cool to do, gets a pass from me.
This. If it's an unusual mix of things, even better. Say, western with magic or steampunk elements.

A prehistoric RPG with magic and tech (ancient aliens), with different hominid races, would be awesome.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I want to be a dragon Gilgamesh.

Seriously though, historical settings and proper mythological ones would be great but for some reason they're not even in the poll.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Want more like Darklands - historical setting where the myths, legends and superstitions of that time are real.
Also more like Thief 1's setting.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Setting is not important. That said, I want to see:

-
Fallout Wasteland: Germany
- a new Arcanum (with the combat system of ToEE)
- near future setting: racial holy war WorldWar 3
- a Hard SciFi Space Opera: Travellling with near light speed and cryopreservation

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I want to be a dragon Gilgamesh.

Seriously though, historical settings and proper mythological ones would be great but for some reason they're not even in the poll.
Historic setting is not a valid setting for an rpg, as every possible outcome has previously been predetermined. If you give the player the agency to make his own decisions in a strictly historic setting, then it veers into alternate history setting.

Mythological setting would fit either in a ethnic or fantasy setting.

Telengard

Arcane
I'm gonna start calling everyone who never played RECON (Vietnam War RPG) a pansy.

It's time.

Especially since this is the Codex, and you could actually legitimately say things like, "Gonna shoot me some Gooks today, wah ha!"

Space Insect

Arcane
We need more hard sci-fi. And I don't mean Mass Effect.

On the same topic, has there ever been a good hard sci-fi RPG?

Endemic

Arcane
Mythological or some other less familiar (maybe Eastern?) setting. Being a follower of Orlanth in Glorantha would be interesting, or even something more grounded like a Genpei-era samurai.

Telengard

Arcane
Charlies, they are charlies. Gooks are in Korea.
Only if you're a namby-pamby politico* type, who use the official "okayed" slang. Real fighting man call all dem Asians gooks, and shoot 'em good. Borrowed the word from the Korean War, when men still knew what's what.

EDIT:
* That means Politically Correct.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
How would one classify a WW1-era RPG set in British occupied Cairo, with the theater of operation being Egypt (Cairo) + the Sinai + the Levant?

Heh, maybe pipe-dream is the best classification.

Telengard

Arcane
BACK ON SUBJECT

The original RECON and original Top Secret (Cold War spy) are two of the oldest pnp rpgs in existence. Just because all you pansies only played your fairy* stories and androgyn-ous vampire weepies don't mean there weren't guys out there playing real rpgs. Games with history.

* That means gay.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only 14 votes on Super Hero? Do you people not want another Freedom Force?
:rpgcodex:

On the flip side, I would love to see some hard science fiction in my CRPGs. Imagine something akin to Arthur C. Clarke's work in an RPG. That would be fucking sweet. Alternate History sounds sweet, but I'm not sure about Horror. What does that even entail? How can you make an RPG from that genre?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Vault Dweller please pay attention and give the codex the hard-scifi RPG it needs...

On the other hand, think the writing talent at iron tower is up to truly making the science behind the generation ship project something believable and well researched? or are you taking a more pulpy approach?

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Poll needs 'Weird West' option. Want mah Deadlands cRPG.

edit: And no that doesn't just mean I should check Western and Horror. Get out.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Historic setting is not a valid setting for an rpg, as every possible outcome has previously been predetermined. If you give the player the agency to make his own decisions in a strictly historic setting, then it veers into alternate history setting.
Smaller more personal stories works fine in an historical setting. You're too used to the epic plots of the high fantasy games it would seem, if you've lost your imagination so completely. If anything it'd encourage much better writing since they can't just give the player complete agency over how things at large turn out, which I've always found lazy. You might not be able to decide the fate of kings, nations, the outcome of wars or even who runs your local village in a historical setting but you could change your place in the world and the people directly around you. Just like in real life. Instead of being something that you are in control of larger conflicts instead creates context and frame your personal struggles.

The only real issue with a historical setting that I can see is that mage fetishists won't like it but I think if you pair it with an interesting enough system it could work.

Also, mythology it's not at all the same as fantasy. It's entirely different.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dunno. You seem to praise RECON to high heaven, but it's virtually unknown, and unmentioned here in Codex. There must be a reason it's so unmentionable.

Convince me why it's worth trying, then. I am open minded.

(Side note: example of good games get ignored is Ring of Red, and to certain extent, Hammer Sickle. HS is because it's about Soviet agent so they spake of Stalin with respect. RoR is because its alternate history remind people of Two Koreas, Two Chinas, and Communist Japan, so the gamer base boycott it.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom