Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper POLL: What type of fag are you?

What type of fag are you? (can choose up to 3)

• Combatfag.

Votes: 204 41.6%
  • Explorationfag.

Votes: 256 52.2%
  • Storyfag.

Votes: 259 52.9%
  • Systemsfag.

Votes: 193 39.4%
  • CNCfag.

Votes: 158 32.2%
  • Moment to moment gameplay feelz fag

Votes: 59 12.0%
  • Just a plain and simple fag.

Votes: 52 10.6%

• Total voters

Keppo

Arbiter
Where is Atmosphere/Setting fag?

1. Atmosphere/Setting FAG
2. Exploration/Story FAG
3. Combat FAG
4. WHAT EVEA FAG

Renegen

Arcane
Storyfag is the codex's #1 population, ahah ohwow. :lol:

Actually it would've been my one and only vote but I'm disappointed in not having more C&C fags, I want more than 100h open world "rpgs".

Fairfax

Arcane
Surprised at C&C being the last. Guess it's hard for newer players to be C&Cfags when 99% of modern "RPGs" have none of it.

Lhynn

Arcane
As long as the execution is good and the game enjoyable i dont give a crap.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Voted: CNC, story and exploration. Would vote: atmosphere, aesthetic, setting. It's all really story and presentation.

poetic codex

Augur
I think you missed a certain kind of fag: atmosphere fag.

To me this is the most important aspect of a game. Ambient sounds, musical soundtrack, artwork, voice acting, color palette, graphics design. When all these things flow together towards a consistent cohesive whole, a game has a distinct atmosphere and sucks you into its world. Icewind Dale 1 has a very rich consistent atmosphere. Whatever you might think of the game itself, Black Isle Studios, nailed the atmosphere down to perfection. VTM: Bloodlines and Arcanum are also very consistent and have well developed atmospheres.

I have found that adventure games tend to satisfy my atmosphere fag needs the most though. Games like The Void, The Dig, Riven: the sequel to Myst etc. take you to atmospheric dreamscapes that offer alternate experiences outside of the daily drudgery of life. It's like having the benefits of mind bending drugs without taking drugs.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think you missed a certain kind of fag: atmosphere fag.

To me this is the most important aspect of a game. Ambient sounds, musical soundtrack, artwork, voice acting, color palette, graphics design. When all these things flow together towards a consistent cohesive whole, a game has a distinct atmosphere and sucks you into its world. Icewind Dale 1 has a very rich consistent atmosphere. Whatever you might think of the game itself, Black Isle Studios, nailed the atmosphere down to perfection. VTM: Bloodlines and Arcanum are also very consistent and have well developed atmospheres.
True dat, I think I even mentioned it in my first post in this thread.
Ever played Gothic? If there's a game that nails atmosphere it's this, imho.

Also Vagrant Story, but that was only available for the first Playstation.

poetic codex

Augur
Yes, I have played Gothic and the atmosphere is indeed amazing. I even found a way to play with the German voices even though I was only in a beginner German class in school. Although I didn't understand many of the words, the atmosphere improved tenfold with the German voice actors compared to the English voice actors.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
C&C is obviously the correct choice. Where is the realism and historical accuracy choice, though? You're missing some crucial choices in that poll.

pippin

C&C is obviously the correct choice. Where is the realism and historical accuracy choice, though? You're missing some crucial choices in that poll.

We wouldn't have rpgs if that was an actual thing.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We wouldn't have rpgs if that was an actual thing.

Yes we would. Real gamers demand that designers pay respect to our ancestors by maintaining a degree of historical accuracy. Next you'll tell me you'd be perfectly fine seeing an army of Spartan archers who like to dual wield double-headed axes.

liberals

pippin

Next you'll tell me you'd be perfectly fine seeing an army of Spartan archers who like to dual wield double-headed axes.

I'm pretty sure those spartan warriors would be too much in debt to afford double headed axes :smug:

imweasel

<- Combatfag, Systemsfag, Storyfag, Musicfag, Simulationst-CnC-fag, UI-fag, Presentationfag, Itemizationfag, Explorationfag

In that order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I chose Choice and Consequences. It is one of the main things I look for in a RPG, aside from story, and decent mechanics. Satisfying combat is a perk.

I love atmosphere as much as exploration.

Also, you're right, story is superfluous to any Elder Scrolls game. I loved Oblivion on mods, if only because they nailed stealth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom