Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper POLL: What type of fag are you?

What type of fag are you? (can choose up to 3)

• Combatfag.

Votes: 204 41.6%
  • Explorationfag.

Votes: 256 52.2%
  • Storyfag.

Votes: 259 52.9%
  • Systemsfag.

Votes: 193 39.4%
  • CNCfag.

Votes: 158 32.2%
  • Moment to moment gameplay feelz fag

Votes: 59 12.0%
  • Just a plain and simple fag.

Votes: 52 10.6%

• Total voters

Nael

Arcane
This shit again?

You're just upset that you read the thread title and there are no pictures of any naked dudes in here.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like RPGs with interesting/unique/experimental systems and/or great/challenging exploration (I'm including dungeon exploration in this one) and/or, on top of that/if all else fails, great atmosphere.

Combat is part of the systems to me. So is C&C, if done right.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Systems-story-exploration fag.

Rational goes:
If I must choose one or the other, a good story without CNC trumps a bad story with CNC.
If I must choose one or the other, an interesting system with poor combat is better than "well designed" combat operating under a boring/broken system.
Exploration is just a personal preference I suppose; it's one of the main reasons I enjoy games in addition to other media; you can explore a game world in a different way than the world of a book or movie.

stray

Learned
I started a lot on Adventures at home.. and arcades elsewhere. That makes me mostly combat and storyfag, I guess.

At least before. Game stories mostly suck. I don't know why I kept expecting much. I get more out of novels (obviously). All I do is end up wishing games were as good as novels, which isn't going to happen.

What I'd like to see is a poll which can distinguish between kinds of players.

With this poll we see which trait is most popular. Right now, the order is:
1. Storyfag
2. Explorationfag
3. Combatfag
4. Systemfag
5. CNCfag
6. Moment to moment feelz gameplay (wth?)
7. Plain and simple fag (wth?)

What I want to see is in which combination these usually fall. Is it random or not?

I chose this combination, for example: Combat/Exploration/CnC.

How many other players have this combination?

Of those players who have Combat as a favored fagism, what other fagisms usually accompany it?

One way of putting it is we're all composed of atoms and they're nothing special. It's how those atoms go together which makes things special. I suspect ti's the same with this. There might also be common ways things come together.

Last edited:

stray

Learned
Of those players who have Combat as a favored fagism, what other fagisms usually accompany it?

Story comes second to me to Combat. I'd probably choose exploration, but exploring worlds doesn't usually hold much promise. I tend to get more of the world out of a good story.

Take Wing Commander, for instance. I'm more immersed in a world like that via the story, than Roberts' other games like Freelancer (more exploration).

Hell March

Educated
I'm an unashamed systems fag, even if I recognize that a good system by itself doesn't make an "objectively" good game

Leitz

Learned
I'm no fag. I like good setting, story, writing, C&C, combat, magic systems, simulation systems, exploration, art direction and art assets.

I'm a RPG fan.

OP is a faggot.
So you had nothing better to do than bumping this 2 months old thread with this shitpost? You want the last word or some shit? Well you ain't havin' it.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I'm no fag. I like good setting, story, writing, C&C, combat, magic systems, simulation systems, exploration, art direction and art assets.

I'm a RPG fan.

OP is a faggot.
So you had nothing better to do than bumping this 2 months old thread with this shitpost? You want the last word or some shit? Well you ain't havin' it.

:lol:

It was actually linked by Excommunicator or some other faggot in shoutbox, I just clicked and posted my opinion. Why? Is that forbidden now!?

:ehue:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
RPGfag. Where is my KingComrade option? I don't think I can really narrow it down in regards to these poll options as it's a combination of them and not particularly a single criteria.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This thread is like the Codex's version of Halley's comet, it comes back around every 67 days or so.

Exploration and story eh? No wonder the dex loves Fallout 4, Bethesda themselves said they would sacrifice player choice and agency for the sake of story, because people like movies with hiking as opposed to video games.

gameplayfag. if you have good gameplay the story writes itself.
You mean like ToEE?

Haven't played it yet :(
What I mean is, a well designed gameplay creates its own narrative within its mechanics, challenges and so on. Gives the game a sense of journey even if it doesn't have an actual story.
Sorry I don't think you're right. I used that excuse the past 17 (or more) years to explain why I liked explorefag games. I told myself -I- created the story because I was somehow special or creative. I didn't need or want a story to direct me. Truth is my creative capacities have always lagged behind others. I'm much more of a literal thinker; math/numbers/weights. Ya I like to lose myself in games just like anybody here, but I lose myself more in the exploration and management and survival instincts. I don't lose myself in the story or the atmosphere nearly as much. I tried to play the quest-driven or story-driven games and I hated them. They felt restrictive. I even tried Planescape Torment with no success and that's supposed to be the king of RPGs. I honestly had a lot more fun in Daggerfall recently than I ever did with PST. I TRIED. Ultimately it felt congested.

Back then I called what I wanted "non-linear" gameplay. The game didn't put you on rails. You went where you wanted to go. I also liked lots of combat. It was just another part of the system. The system is everything you use to win or overcome the game world. All of this is very mathematical or resource-driven. Daggerfall is an example of a game I liked.

So, no, gameplay doesn't make story. YOUR story is emergent and indefinable. Preexisting--or traditional--story is the benchmark and IS definable. It exists in quests or pieces of lore or npc conversations or something.

We have to recognize story for what it's to satisfy storyfags. Story isn't indefinable, it exists in the game; npcs/quests/etc. Writers and world designers create it. In my experience, storyfags tend to not like resource-driven games or explorefag games. I think this is the case because stories, by their nature, are on rails. You read from the first page to the last page and it's over. Storyfags expect that and don't want filler or distractions inbetween the pages. This isn't to say storyfags don't want to do things in the game. They like to do stuff like anyone. They just want everyting to build on the story. This is where explorefag games lose them. Explorefag games routinely fail to directly build on the story and so the storyfag is a ship without a course.

Last edited:
A good story need not equate with a scripted experience. In my eyes, scripted sequences are just smoke and mirrors, detracting from the feeling of gameplay.

34scell

Augur
How can someone not be a storyfag after playing Fallout 3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom