Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Polygons Charlie Hall got stuck in Fallout.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only time I ever got stuck in Fallout 1 was the first time I did the Glow. I only took one rad x thinking it would be enough, and after exploring the entire base I ended up dying instantly when I tried to travel anywhere. Since I only kept one save file, I was fucked and had to start over. I didn't really view that as a fault with the game, though. It was my fault for being an idiot.

It sounds like this idiot had no idea what he was doing, and he probably hasn't played the game in years and so he's recounting a distorted memory. He's not even aware that companions in Fallout 1 didn't have skills. Who knows what door he was actually talking about. Or if this even happened in Fallout 1.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't have the rope when I first ventured to the Glow. So I had to backtrack and was almost killed by bandits, who looked exactly like Ian (I even shot him a few times thinking he was a bandit, and of course he shot me too 'by accident'). Then I bought the rope in the Hub, went back and explored like, the first level. I could't get any further and decided to return and died on the way from radiation. Then I started the game again and had a lot of other wonderful adventures, killed the Decker (fuck him! he was a tough one), joined the Brotherhood and finally got to play chess with Zax. So, what I was about? Ah yes, the dynamite. It can solve all your problems with 'locked doors', scorpions etc. And if not, there are other ways. Because this is Fallout.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He's not even aware that companions in Fallout 1 didn't have skills. Who knows what door he was actually talking about. Or if this even happened in Fallout 1.
Couldn't Katja pick locks for you?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Extremely obvious plot twist: he didn't actually play the game.

What does he get from making this up, though? There are genuine issues with the game to point out that wouldn't make him look like a bumbling clown.

I remember having a slight rage moment at the end of Fallout 2.

There was an area on the Oil Tanker that I thought for some reason I needed to go to to complete the game. Turns out this was some dummied out area that no longer served any purpose.

B-but there are all those monsters to fight... :(

Errr, I meant the place where the Enclave and their President were at.

Enclave Oil Rig.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It reads like the same kind of shameless nerd-whoring that people who didn't actually play games like to engage in to establish their bonafides. He's telling lies. I am almost sure - and the only reason I am hedging this is because I'm on the Codex -- that there is not a single goddamn door in Fallout 1 that is both crit pathed and "locked" that you cannot bypass by other means. He is making shit up to make it look like he knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
(Merged)

My personal take on this, which I wrote elsewhere:

Really the only thing wrong I see with the guy's situation in Fallout is that his only option to get through was to grind trash mobs. There should be interesting opportunities to get through roadblocks. But scurrying back to town and pay for a "key"... Not one of them. Neither is respec imho. I don't mean to be offensive but to me those are lazy designs and there's a reason previous generations of RPGs did not allow them.

Discuss! :)

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Well considering the entire situation described by that Polygon writer sounds made up, what's left to discuss?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Well considering the entire situation described by that Polygon writer sounds made up, what's left to discuss?

Roadblocks and options for players to deal with them, respecs good or bad, ... Well that's about it.

Oh and whether that situation was or wasn't made up. And why that even matters.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Parts of that article are rage-inducing to me. Look, I don't know anything about picking locks because that's not a skillset I took time to learn in real-life and I don't care what kind of picks someone handed me... I just wouldn't be able to do it no matter how much I tried. Break the door down? Sure. Blow it up with a grenade? Sure. But pick locks? No. I don't know why every character has to be a jack of all trades in recent CRPGs. I like role-specializations in my characters, and the need to have to make hard choices in character generation. Damn casuals.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Aw shit there's already a thread on this. First thread creation in years & I botched it. Carry on.

MasPingon

Arcane
It is the show of incompetence, this dumbfuck should not write anymore. There is not one situation in Fallout when you can't continue you journey because of wrong skillset. There is no "wrong skillset" in FO, this is just bad journalism.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I actually think JES design philosophy for attributes is good, and while such a gamey system rubbed me the wrong way initially (reminded me of how my equipped weapon in Diablo 3 somehow increased spell damage), it seems like it actually will be fun and interesting.

That said, using Fallout as an example was wrong, and I'm sure JES would disagree with that being an example of what he was trying to prevent. If I were to sum up Fallout 1 in one sentence, it would include the phrase "there is always another way" - when I came to a roadblock like a locked door I couldn't open, there was always another way to do what I was attempting (and it never involved grinding levels, unless you count very difficult enemies being used as a content/level gate, which given how simple combat was is basically how it was used). JES just wants you to always be able to spend your skill points in a way that they are never wasted, and that you never come to a roadblock where you cannot continue (hence his anti-hard-counters philosophy, though I would argue that you could always just brute force BG2 battles). Good idea, bad article.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I actually think JES design philosophy for attributes is good, and while such a gamey system rubbed me the wrong way initially (reminded me of how my equipped weapon in Diablo 3 somehow increased spell damage), it seems like it actually will be fun and interesting.

That said, using Fallout as an example was wrong, and I'm sure JES would disagree with that being an example of what he was trying to prevent. If I were to sum up Fallout 1 in one sentence, it would include the phrase "there is always another way" - when I came to a roadblock like a locked door I couldn't open, there was always another way to do what I was attempting (and it never involved grinding levels, unless you count very difficult enemies being used as a content/level gate, which given how simple combat was is basically how it was used). JES just wants you to always be able to spend your skill points in a way that they are never wasted, and that you never come to a roadblock where you cannot continue (hence his anti-hard-counters philosophy, though I would argue that you could always just brute force BG2 battles). Good idea, bad article.

The part about attributes has some merit for me but always having a mercenary available with the right skill tree not so much. The way I see it the game becomes a shopping sim.

Aw shit there's already a thread on this. First thread creation in years & I botched it. Carry on.

You're the originator. Just ask Jaesun to merge it.

Done!

dukeofwhales

Cipher
The part about attributes has some merit for me but always having a mercenary available with the right skill tree not so much. The way I see it the game becomes a shopping sim.

I don't think that's really the point of the Adventurer's Hall so much as the writers (mis)interpretation. I guess it is a gameplay side effect of being able to recruit NPCs at every level up to (or one below?) your current level, whereas in IWD you could only recruit level 1s. The idea is only that you can create a full custom party or supplement the NPCs you like with a couple of extras rather than having to deal with Aerie's whinging because she is just so damn versatile.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer

I don't think that's really the point of the Adventurer's Hall so much as the writers (mis)interpretation. I guess it is a gameplay side effect of being able to recruit NPCs at every level up to (or one below?) your current level, whereas in IWD you could only recruit level 1s. The idea is only that you can create a full custom party or supplement the NPCs you like with a couple of extras rather than having to deal with Aerie's whinging because she is just so damn versatile.

In that case is there really anything new? Surely Might isn't going to solve everything - just save a few points for other things. You can still choose to spread yourself thin and make a pretty useless character with many low level skills. I can't imagine a game that lets you win by doing that being much fun.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only time I ever got stuck in Fallout 1 was the first time I did the Glow. I only took one rad x thinking it would be enough, and after exploring the entire base I ended up dying instantly when I tried to travel anywhere. Since I only kept one save file, I was fucked and had to start over. I didn't really view that as a fault with the game, though. It was my fault for being an idiot.

It sounds like this idiot had no idea what he was doing, and he probably hasn't played the game in years and so he's recounting a distorted memory. He's not even aware that companions in Fallout 1 didn't have skills. Who knows what door he was actually talking about. Or if this even happened in Fallout 1.
I'm quite sure there was some RadAway in the glow.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Honestly I'm not the guy to argue the finer details of the new attribute system, but apparently it does allow for a variety of interesting character builds within each class and allows players to build characters which are different from usual D&D tropes but are still viable to complete the game (though not all equally strong) which was the aim.

In that case is there really anything new? Surely Might isn't going to solve everything - just save a few points for other things. You can still choose to spread yourself thin and make a pretty useless character with many low level skills. I can't imagine a game that lets you win by doing that being much fun.

You mean, a game like Fallout?

:troll:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I remember feeling like a fucking retard for getting stuck at the door to Vic's shack in Fallout 2. Spent like five minutes trying to just brute force the lock before realizing that I could just blow it open with a stick of dynamite.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'm quite sure there was some RadAway in the glow.
Doesn't help when you're above 10k rads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom