Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Possible new Loom™ game coming soon..... or not.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Putting this

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/573939352830672898

So something regarding Loom just happened. Buzzing around at PAX and phone is close to dying. Will sort through the news later!

and this

https://twitter.com/GrundislavGames/status/573921389985468418

"There are only 3 studios I would trust with sequels to LOOM: Telltale, Double Fine, and Wadjet Eye. Talk to me." - Brian Moriarty

together, is Wadjet Eye doing a Loom sequel or what? As much as I don't really like the Blackwell games, I'd rather it was Dave Gilbert than Tim Schafer or Telltale.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn, I know I am old and bitter now. First thought was just "can't they just leave it alone?"

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Dave should be very honored by the shout out! Of those three, I think WEG would certainly be the way to go -- while Loom in some sense was already streamlined, it wasn't streamlined the way Telltale does it. And it calls for the kind of personal touch that it'll get from WEG more than the gloss it would get from DoubleFine.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
I'd rather it was Dave Gilbert than Tim Schafer or Telltale.

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/573931837879255040

pFa33xg.png

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Feeling grumpy, so two kvetches:

(1) Among his followers' responses "What's Loom?" "Is there an upcoming HD Remaster? Don't play with my heart!" Paging felipepepe

(2) While getting the LOOM IP would have transformed WEG/Dave -- presumably making at least an order of magnitude more money than Gemini Rue, which in turn was by far the most successful WEG title -- I'm not sure it really does Double Fine that much good. It's a great game, but it's not legendary like King's Quest or Monkey Island. If they can't make enough money off Broken Age, why Loom 2?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I know I've bitched about Epiphany, but I would MUUUUUUUUUUCH rather Loom go to Gilbert than Telltale or Schafer. Although I would even more rather it go to Wormwood or Daedalic, with Moriarty being Creative Director or whatever would guarantee him full control.

Of course, from the looks of the tweets it seems Schafer got it, and Gilbert is just excited either because he was named, or because he's looking forward to a Loom 2 no matter what. Heh, and to think I brought up Moriarty just this week.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Goddamit, will Tim really keep his company afloat by milking out every LucasArts game? Sure, I'm happy that there's interest in old games, but it could be in the hands of a better person...

Honestly, among all recent adventure games I played, Primordia is definetly the closest to Loom's "vibe". I bet MRY could do something really cool. ;)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That's just cause Horatio has a hood. :D

That said, Loom was the most important adventure game to me as a kid. I dabbled in others, but it's the only one I beat until high school, so it left an impression.

otsego

Cipher
"There are only 3 studios I would trust with sequels to LOOM: Telltale, Double Fine, and Wadjet Eye. Talk to me." - Brian Moriarty

Kill it with fire.....

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

sq4-box2.png

Hmmm... maybe Telltale and Double Fine would be perfect!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
That said, Loom was the most important adventure game to me as a kid. I dabbled in others, but it's the only one I beat until high school, so it left an impression.
Well Moriarty did say "Talk to me". Also, you're WEG, sort of-ish. So, talk to him :P
Pretty please?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(1) I'm not WEG. Dave Gilbert is WEG. Everyone else is just furnishings. :)
(2) It sounds like Schafer already has it tied up.
(3) I have two other large things on my plate (in addition to my day job and family life), which I am much more excited about than I would be about LOOM.
(4) As much as I love LOOM, I don't love it enough to want to color in someone else's lines. There are a couple of IPs I'd do that for right now, but not LOOM.

(All caps because apparently that really is the way they want Moriarty wants it written!)

One funny thing about LOOM (okay, now it's getting old) is that I was pretty culturally illiterate as a kid, so I didn't notice how many of its iconic elements were lifted from somewhere else: Sleeping Beauty, Oz, Swan Lake (obviously). I'm sure there are others I'd notice if I played again.

Anyway, if (and this will never happen) I were to do LOOM 2 (still Forge?), here's what I would do.

(1) Begin with a Tchaikovsky frame. This one is obvious: Vakula the Smith. It's unclear whether Moriarty was drawing on it already, or if it's just a happy coincidence, but (i) Rusty is supposed to be the hero, and he is a smith; and (ii) the opera's plot involves the devil stealing the moon, and LOOM ends with Chaos losing the end of her scythe, which becomes the moon. Moreover, Vakula has several nice adventure game-y motifs to it, such that I think it would be a good frame. Note that you don't keep much of the Tchaikovsky content, but you do need the melodies and a few core elements. (Some might think to go with The Nutcracker, because it is a ballet like Swan Lake and the second of Tch's super-famous narrative works. But no. It's not in the same fantastical genre; it's a crossing-over fantasy like Narnia, not a fairy tale.)

(2) Appropriate iconic visuals from children's classics. Harder to do this one off the top of my head because I'm not sure what has quite the impact of the Emerald City and the literary gravitas. (Otherwise I might be audacious and say Castle Grayskull!) For the villain, I'd have to take another classic Disney character. The only one in the same league as Maleficent is probably Cruella De Vil. My guess is that I would gender-swap her and use the basic look for an undead Bishop Mandible.

(3) Somehow make the game incredible despite this bizarre melange.

(4) Profit.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Most likely just another quick-and-dirty cash-grab "Director's cut HD remaster" for PC, consoles and tablets.

Do you guys think there is a market for a new Loom game? I mean the few old-timers who are still interested in gaming/ Loom would be highly critical about a sequel and almost impossible to please, the younger generations are only interested in popamoles.
:negative:

That being said, I wouldn't mind paying a few euros for a properly remastered Loom as the original talkie version (the version that is on Steam) is far from perfect.

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Loom
http://steamcommunity.com/app/32340/discussions/0/828939163598261003/#p1

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
IMO Schafer could make a pretty good Loom sequel - LOOM1 wasn't hard or hardcore or particularly oldschool either, just simple, charming and imaginative, and Double Fine can definitely do THAT even if their puzzle design is childish at best.

Cazzeris

I'm a big Loom fanboy, but honestly couldn't care less about this news. The original game was one of those classics whose magic cannot be reproduced with modern development philosophy and nudesgin. Sure, it didn't have really challenging puzles and was famous for being extremely streamlined compared with your average Sierra game; but the fact that a company like Telltale and Double Fine would totally go with elements like inclusivity, out of place hints, retarded/modern art style and soundtrack and try-hard writing pisses me off.

It'd be interesting if WEG developed it though, but more because they've earned a place as decent adventure game designers than the possible hype asociated to Loom's return.

Also, it impresses me how overrated is Double Fine as a studio. I can understand why the unwashed masses find their hipstard games appealing, but they're technically a shit developer (just look at their incompetence managing projects/money and shameful releases like Spacebase DF-9).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't want any of them touching Loom. Shaffer may be a very good writer, but his decisions as a general developer and company CEO simply suck. WadjetEye and TellTale have made some OK games, but let's face it, they are nothing but mediocre developers that have just tried to fill the huge gap in classic point&click adventures and haven't in any way shown any glimpses of greatness. Anyway, I wouldn't trust even the best of them combined together for a sequel, because Loom is a very special game on all accounts and I can think about no one but Brian Moriarty himself with full creative control. Maybe one of them could act as tech-providers/publishers/support but that's it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I enjoyed most of the Blackwell games, except Epiphany, I do not really see Wadjet Eye as compatible with Loom. Maybe I am wrong but I do not see it fitting Dave Gilbert's style.

Since MRY says he would not do it (assuming there even was such a possibility), I say give to Schafer or leave it alone. As much as a trainwreck Double Fine has become, Schafer can still write in a way that would fit Loom.

AngryKobold

Arcane
The Forge
http://www.forgegame.com/

Started:

Last update:
January 2015

Developers:
People you never heard about.

Distribution:
Freeware

Current state:
Playable (cough) demo containing supposed first "chapter".

Sample screenshot:

samplebg4.png

My verdict:
Sucks for many reasons. Has good pixel graphics. Good idea for "spell casting" interface. Double Fine has no chance to produce anything like that... as good as that.

Oh yes, I am waiting for the results of Double Fine attempt. Certainly it's gonna bring a lot of drama. Also likely new proofs of the company being incompetent at adventure games production.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Since MRY says he would not do it (assuming there even was such a possibility
That's how much the world cries out for Man de Bil!

I mean, I'm sure the truth is that if the opportunity came along, I wouldn't say no. I've never turned down work (even menial work), I doubt I'd start now. :) But it's not something I'd chase.

AngryKobold

Arcane
One more thing: "Loom 2" or "Loom 2: the Forge"? See, there's a massive difference. The first one screams "a rip- off!". The second one implies following the original plans for trilogy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom