Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Not an RPG memory per se, but I'm pretty sick right now with a very high fever, and yesterday, before sleeping, took 3 tablets of Vitamin C to help me get better. I had forgotten that I tend to have very extreme dreams on Vitamin C, usually involving blurring of reality and fantasy, and sometimes messed up Inception like shit. Kept waking up with vague memories of being in SITS' Hallowed Doors, a sense of being in pixelly dark places, tormented by gears, ropes, levers and pulleys. Couldn't get any real sleep at all. Pretty fucked up.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doing my no kills playthroughs of Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas. I love games that let me do pacifist runs. It was especially fun in New Vegas. I know people might get sick of me mentioning this run but it was probably the most fun I had with New Vegas. Be a cunt and have people killed, but not by your own hand. Lots of people have told me that it's a gimmicky run but I loved it and at the same time got to avoid the combat.

It wasn't very challenging to do the pacifist run in Alpha Protocol. I did it on my second run when I had the Veteran "class" unlocked.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I liked when in Fallout New Vegas this batshit crazy guy came along who went on about him winning the lottery, and ofcourse i shot him and took the ticket only later to find out that his price was to get away with his life, which i just took from him to get his ticket.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The arena announcer in Dark Sun. Right at the start of the game you're fodder for the entertainment of the masses. And this guy let's you know just that every time you get shoved in there. Loved hating that little twerp. Awesome start of a game as well.

Cthulhu_is_love

MM6 was the first part I ever played from the series. (completed all except 9).
You can't imagine how much i laughed (and i still do) about that setting twist in the mid of the game.
It's so cheesy, I love that.

But because of the intro i thought that the dragons are aliens too. That disappointed me a little bit.

Goblino

Savant
In SMT 4 I decided to answer every question and took every action in the game how I personally would react. There's a very important part where you basically choose your alignment that asks you three increasingly tough questions about how you would handle a situation. The last was a euthanasia scenario where the love of your life is comatose and dying slowly. I honestly confronted the question and ended up completely changing my own personal views of assisted suicide. I also stumbled upon the neutral path on my first go without aiming for it. Took months after release for the nips to make guides for that and apparently I just happened to get it because it was how I felt. Snowflake moment, yo.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
While playing Dark Souls I was so impressed that you could buy these shiny stones that had no other purpose than if you came across a dark pitt, you could drop a shiny stone down the pitt and that way you could see how deep the hole was without potentially falling to your death. Immershuuun!

The Ur-Quan Masters just blew me away with it's scope and complexity, I guess meeting the galactic trader for the first time was one of the memorable moments.

Leaning that you could use torches and light spells to illuminate the dungeons in Bard's Tale 3 - I had first tried to proceed without any light. (I was 8 back then).

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was totally hyped when I got my first Laz0r rifle in Might & Magic 6. Didn't expect that at all.
Also, when I played System Shock 2, I must have been one of the two guys which didn't anticipate /were spoilered what would happen. So I was genuinely surprised when Shodan revealed herself.
Finishing the Cave of Ancestors (or whatever its english name is) in Lufia2 is one of the achievments I'm proud of the most. I Still remember leaving my SNES on for 4 straight days and begging my parents not to turn it off.
And yes, the death of a fellow party member in Final Fantasy VII traumatized me.

Also, Terranigma for SNES (sorry, americans). Theres no single element in this game to point out; the whole story was extremely moving and intense. Still have to suppress manly tears when I hear the soundtrack.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Buying Ultima 7 (that awesome box!!), reading the manual in the car, installing it (took up most of my HD... My computer was below the sysreqs), and being blown away by the graphics and sound. Then playing it and being sucked in by that intro with the body in the stable. Getting out of Trinsic and being blown away again over how detailed and massive the world was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 2.
Trying to enter Vault City and not being allowed by the guy at the gate.
A wild thought comes to me, "what if I take my armor off and wear just the jumpsuit?"
It worked and the guy at the gate expressed his dismay of seeing another vault dweller coming from the wasteland.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
I had gone to Bitterblack a little early and was struggling through the first few floors of a deadly 20+ floor dungeon. I peep around a corner and an Eliminator stomps out of the darkness and immediately spraypaints the wall with my 3 pawns with one hammerswing. There is a 2-3 minute fight where I'm barely hanging on and not doing nearly enough damage. One of the pawns, a mage, has been absent for a while and it turns out she was standing in a corner invoking an ûberspell. She finally throws out a massive spike of ice. It doesn't really dent the Eliminator, but manages to launch him out of a small window on the edge of the spike.

The Eliminator falls to his death, and I get the hell out of Bitterblack to level up some more.
Amazing game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Every time I found a new NPC in Dark Sun. The environments had the desolate feeling nailed down, and I actually had the urge to preserve their lives rather than massacre them for loot. Very rare experience.

Looting the Fellowship's coffers in Ultima VII. It was clear they were the bad guys and every town I went into, I headed straight for the vault. Also every time someone didn't shoot me in the back with a triple crossbow.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fallout 2.
Trying to enter Vault City and not being allowed by the guy at the gate.
A wild thought comes to me, "what if I take my armor off and wear just the jumpsuit?"
It worked and the guy at the gate expressed his dismay of seeing another vault dweller coming from the wasteland.
Oh, you can do that? Oh...

Maschtervoz

Learned
Gothic 1 - finally getting accepted into a camp for the first time and putting on that sweet rouge armor I had spent several days drooling at. Also, getting strong enough to kill snappers. I was terrified by those things after one of them oneshot my low level ass so managing to overpower them felt really rewarding.

Morrowind - Randomly stumbling upon my first Sixth House base after mostly ignoring the main quest and having no idea what they were supposed to be. It was that stronghold in the mountains near Suran. It was absurdly fucked up and fun at the same time, suddenly finding myself swarmed by half-naked raving fanatics in a godforsaken ruin barely lit up by red candles, then running into an Ash Ghoul, getting creeped the fuck out and frantically mashing the attack button in a kill it before it lays eggs kind of moment.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Something more recent:

Doing the Aztech run in Dragonfall without a hitch (reaching the final level without being detected) and doing all the side objectives (saving people and stuff) on my first go.

I picture my rigger "Gear Geist" lighting up a cig and going "Shadowrunning is the only thing I know how to do but damn I do it good" while watching the smoldering wreck of the corporate building.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Tony Jay as the Lieutenant in Fallout.

Encountering Super Mutants for the first time. I remember me and my friend actually panicking as kids. We first met them at the military base, at low level, thinking of ways to take one out to get a plasma rifle.
We were young and unfamiliar with the game, and it was quite a ride the first time. Good times.

The Witcher. The investigation in the Vizima Temple Quarters. Fun quest, constantly keeping the player aware.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Getting the Highwayman car running in Fallout 2. That music!

laclongquan

Arcane
F2 got chockful of fond memory, but let them end this post.

First Morrowind. The first time I got a working Jump-boost item. The panoramic view was downright beautiful (for its time and for my rig).
Second, Baldur's Gate 2. First time ever to do straight build, since at the time I didnt know about xp cheat for BG1 yet, and dont like to use virus-ridden trainers. Try to build all sort of combination classes in early 2000s? Orgasmic.
Third, Sid Meier's Alpha Centaury virgin run of Gaians. Those halfnaked treehugger chapter readings sure didnt disappoint.
Fourth, Chronos Cross. The whole first half of the game is fond memory. Music, art style, story, characters... especially the beginning fights, I replayed quite a few times before reluctantly moved on to the wakeup scene.

Ooookay, on to F2.
Temple of Trial. I know a lot of Codexers here like to bash this area. Fuck you and your high horse. I will raise you F1's rat tunnels, BG2's long ass beginning dungeon. Oddly enough the tutorial of BG1 is fine. ToT test your skills at beginner level, and a hot, cunning, slutty of a trader chick can get out of it by running like hell and sweet talk the hunk at the end.
The Den area. The night fight at the Church. It's the first major fight with blue allies.
Modoc's abandoned farm where we encounter glowing one ghouls. They scared the shit out of me. Also painting a corner of the town with shit~ Possibly the first game over for some of us since the appearance of Deathclaws is too punishing for the crime of breaking and entering.
Hell, you get the idea. EVERY locations of F2 got something memorable and fond for me.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Meeting Deathclaw for the first time was also kinda scary. Dat cave, man... Damn thing was tearing us apart and then came a lucky crit from SMG (was it Ian?) and it finally went down.

Leitz

Learned
Doing my no kills playthroughs of Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas. I love games that let me do pacifist runs. It was especially fun in New Vegas. I know people might get sick of me mentioning this run but it was probably the most fun I had with New Vegas. Be a cunt and have people killed, but not by your own hand. Lots of people have told me that it's a gimmicky run but I loved it and at the same time got to avoid the combat.
Pacifist playthrough in New Vegas is so shockingly bland and easy, that it feels broken. Just rack that speech and endurance skills up and you're unstoppable and make your way to the end in a few hours. It's refreshing though because how often do you play a RPG where it is a lot easier to not kill anyone?

Last edited:

Goblino

Savant
They probably made it easy to showcase their testicles to the AAA audience. If it's there AND it's accessible, then you might train new players to look for alternative ways of beating games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom