Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In Arcanum, I fell for Stanley Xavier Hippington's story about how to capture the Stillwater Giant. I laugh every time I remember how I was
sneaking up naked on a bunny in a cave.

They don't make games like that anymore. It's not nostalgia, the lack of originality and the tendency to be satisfied with mediocre quality, are real.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ditching Fallout 2 after being disappointed it was about killing ants and scorpions with spears instead of being Diablo with guns and robots. Picking it up again weeks later because I had nothing to play, finally leaving Arroyo and discovering the actual game.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
When I killed a torturer that surrendered in Drakensang 2 and most of the joinable NPCs bitched around - then I remembered that I'm playing a TDE Game - I'm supposed to play a SJW - felt good still :D

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In Wizardry 7, going up the Eryn River for the first time and almost drowning. Coming out in some wilderness area and meeting two-headed giants, finding their cave, climbing up the mountain into some large witch forest. I don't know why, but that game had this immersion level of "I am actually there".

T. Reich

Arcane
M&M7, the quest when you decide who becomes the arbiter (and therefore you pick the path of light or the dark).

I decided to go with dark because fuck yeah shrapmetal and dragon's breath, but when I saw the cinematic following the choice, I felt really bad, so I reloaded the game and went with the light side.

To this day, I still haven't played M&M7 with a dark side party.

Last edited:

imweasel

Finishing the Baldur's Gate series with Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal and having my character rise into godhood to become the new, but generous and benevolent, god of murder.

Truly an amazing experience that sent shivers down my spine.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
First entering Shady Sands. What a moment. I was annoyed because I'd been playing Fallout 3 and really wanted to play more of it but I didn't have anything to play it on. But when I went home I realized that I'd gotten Fallout 1 on my GOG account at some point. Booted it up for the first time expecting it to be like a cardboard cigarette that could tide me over until my next Fallout 3 experience. Arrived in Shady Sands and suddenly any interest I had in Fallout 3 dissipated, never to return.

Stepping off the boat in Morrowind, as well as finally fighting my way out of Privateer's Hold in Daggerfall. Both of those moments are just incredible.

Being able to visit Steadwick in M&M 7. I wouldn't call 7 the best M&M but it remains my favourite solely due to the many links with HoMM 3.

dragonbait

Augur
Fighting the Trolls in the old rope guild in Phlan (Pool of Radiance). Especially the first time you realize that the trolls will come back to life if you don't stand on the squares from which they perished (i.e. = d+d equivalent of burning the trolls etc.)
6.png

Here is a nice video of the battle.

Last edited:

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Experiencing for the first time Deionarra's sensory stone. Had to take a break and walked away from the monitor at the end of that.

Unforgettable bit of writing that filled me with dread with each passing sentence. Vivaldi's music playing in the background played a huge part as well:

majestik12

Arcane
I have some.

Betrayal at Krondor, played in 1994. Chapter III. Black slayers everywhere, coming back to life all the time and kicking my ass. The whole party infected with plague. All rations spoiled. I'm lost in the middle of nowhere at night, thying to navigate around black slayer ambushes, rousalki, and hags, and find my way to a city or a temple. In the middle of a hay field I (for the first time in the game) stumble upon a crucified man and shit massive bricks. I shut down the game and walk away from the computer, hands literally shaking.

PS:T, played weeks after release.
Talking skull acts funny in response to some of my questions. Moreover, soon I find a note warning me to not trust him. I'm thinking of a way to get rid of him. Then we have some adventures, hang out, pick up hookers and stuff. I start liking the guy. but it turns out that I must give him to the pillar of skulls thingie to advance. After hours of looking I still cant find any other solution. So I do it. I never thought it is possible to be ashamed because of something I did to a video game character.

F:NV
I take a nap in a mountain shack. In the morning I find a pack of cazadores camping at the doorstep. Spent next three hours figuring out how to get out alive.
Also, the vault that had you locked up in a room with turrets was awesome. Especially, the moment when you leave that damned room :)

Monk

Arcane
I was told at the end of Ultima IV that it took me 200,000 moves to complete the game.

:cry:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Snes - hiring out Zelda and being awake at about 3am in the morning at the 6th crystal dungeon and having a fever-like state of exhaustion because I'd been playing for like 8 hours straight, but determined to just "see more" of what could be in the next room.

PC - Baldurs gate 1 - uncovering the map and finding the NPC's, going down to the Gnoll temple to rescue Minsc's Witch. Just amazing exploration and sense of discovery.
- Morrowind - some of the caves and ruins made me feel like a goddamn badarse catman indiana jones, also getting your first dadric weapon and enchanting it.

PSP - Disgaea: Afternoon of darkness - realising that the item world is fucking virtually endless and how much you could develop your characters.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Getting lost in Ultima Underworld pre-daggerfall and not caring for about 30 hours.

finally beating that stupid dinosaur thing in Gothic 2 that kept fucking with me getting to the first town.

when edwin became edwina

replaying fallout 2 for the third time and finally getting that damn robot all kitted out.

almost everything about the first playthrough of PS:T

Last edited:

dragonbait

Augur
PC - Baldurs gate 1 - uncovering the map and finding the NPC's, going down to the Gnoll temple to rescue Minsc's Witch. Just amazing exploration and sense of discovery

Minsc and Boo are both a fond memory by themselves. I'm surprised that there aren't any emoticons of Minsc + Boo here on these prestigious forums. Oh well. Here is something cool.
iu

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PC - Baldurs gate 1 - uncovering the map and finding the NPC's, going down to the Gnoll temple to rescue Minsc's Witch. Just amazing exploration and sense of discovery

Minsc and Boo are both a fond memory by themselves. I'm surprised that there aren't any emoticons of Minsc + Boo here on these prestigious forums. Oh well. Here is something cool.
iu
We have :retarded: already but I never liked it

otsego

Cipher
3-FO2_1_3.png

---

On a more serious note, meeting the Master in FO1 and reloading over and over to see if it was possible to kill Hermann on the airplane after blowing up his missus in Deus Ex rank pretty high.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I remember watching my dad play RPGs. In fact, I learned to read by watching my dad play Wizardry games on the NES. I must have been 3 or 4 and this was before we had a PC so he played the NES versions of the original trilogy, which are the only ones I've ever beaten. He used to do some really weird stuff in the games, like whenever he got the amulet of Werdna, he'd bump into walls for hours because he said it gave you experience. He also gave his characters the most boring names imaginable - Fighter, Wizard, Lord, Ninja. Shameful. He didn't play a lot of console RPGs after we got a PC, but I do remember him playing Shining Force II. His asshole friend visited one time and deleted my save file.

Once we got a PC, I remember my dad always calling me downstairs whenever he was about to beat a game. I saw him beat Elder Scrolls: Arena, a bunch of the Might and Magic games, Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, probably lots of other things. He was really disappointed at the end of Star Trail because there's this staircase leading outside the dungeon and he thought there would be a big boss fight, but instead it showed the ending roll. Speaking of Star Trail, I remember watching him go into one of its brothels like 5 times in a row.

His favorite company was Sir-Tech and he played pretty much all their games, including the shitty ones like Wizardry: Nemesis and Druid: Daemons of the Mind. This was before we had the internet, too, so when he got stuck in a game, he'd call the Sir-Tech hint hotline and stay on the line for hours. He practically had the hotline guy walk him through all of Druid: Daemons of the Mind. It must have been 99 cents a minute.

Around 2000 he got into Everquest, which is a whole different story, and I don't think he played too many other RPGs after that. He also missed out on stuff like Fallout, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. I tried to get him to play Planescape: Torment back in the day because we actually owned it, but for some reason he never wanted to play it. Oh yeah, he did play Skyrim and supposedly hated it, even though he played for 600 hours. I was living with him at the time and he made me solve all the puzzles for him. Now he's retired and he sits around playing Solitaire all day.

Azarkon

Arcane
Thought about it a bit, and my best memories playing CRPGs comes down to these three moments.

The first is reading a blessed scroll of familiar summoning and getting an emperor lich in ADOM, and then breezing through the rest of the game with my pet that summons a dozen high-level monsters every other turn. Easiest playthrough ever, and I was laughing the whole time.

The second is in this old game called Ragnarok: http://www.roguetemple.com/reviews/ragnarok/. It wasn't even in playing the game. It was from reading that faq that one dude wrote about the game. It blew my mind about what you were able to do in the game. Made me theory craft for hours in my room, dreaming of what I'd do.

The third is being able to say this to the main villain in a game because I maxed my fucking wisdom:

Nameless One: What can change the nature of a man?
The Transcendent One: I have seen you live a countless lives, Broken One, I have lived your endless quests that accomplish nothing except spread your torment though the multiverse. Then, this is my answer and you are my proof: Nothing can change the nature of a man.
Nameless One: You are wrong. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can.
The Transcendent One: Then you learned a false lesson, Broken One.
Nameless One: Have I? I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

YOU TAKE THAT TRANSCENDENT ONE, YOU TAKE THAT AND DIE.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom