Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

pippin

Playing Ultima 7 for the first time and realizing you could travel around the world in a seamless manner. I was used to stages and loading screens and etc. until then.
Realizing you could actually get away with not fighting anything in Planescape Torment. I think it was the first game which made me feel my actions were relevant to the other characters. They weren't just Quest Kiosks.
When I saw the results of the Super Mutant invasion in Fallout 1. I think my first FO playthrough was a constant "wtf is going on" thing. It had to had the ending we know.

MoonlitKnight

Educated
Convincing Marburg and Parker they are both complete idiots in Alpha Protocol
Beginning Chapter 3 to the music of 'Peaceful Moments' in The Witcher
Hearing the The Many for the first time in SS2, I actually died there.
Watching that slaver bitch's head explode in Fallout New Vegas and using evidence gathered throughout the trip to Vegas to prove that Benny is an asshole.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
- Meeting the dragon in Dungeon Master, building my party in DM (probably my first party-based game)
- Discovering the bestiary in Eye Of The Beholder (probably my first D&D game) with kuo toas, Kenkus, driders, drows, etc..Also the part with the spiders in EoB
- First level-up in Bloodwych while sleeping
- The final battles of IWD2 and FF8 (spent half a night on this one)
- The 3-player Secret Of Mana sessions
- Discovering character creation in RoA
- Discovering character recruitement in Fate : Gates of Dawn, in Ishar too
- The end of Penny Arcade Adventures : On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4
- Meeting by chance the traveler mage companion in Arcanum
- Killing the boss of the fighter's guild in Morrowind because he looked like a dick, without any consequence except becoming the boss, then much later understanding...
- Realizing that I could recruit the monsters directly during combat int Tactics ogre : the knights of Lodis
- Being cursed in Dark souls
- The speech before the last dungeon in Resonance of Fate
When I saw the results of the Super Mutant invasion in Fallout 1.
After all these years, I still talk about that "everytime" I talk about video games. And yeah, playing FO1 is a fond memory by itself.

laclongquan

Arcane
Seeing Quistis for the 1st time in infirmary. Sue me, I have a fetish for cool, glassed, teacher-type. Damn Squall for rebuff her half-flirted dialog during the walk! Or the night date.

1st time meeting Deionarra then the final meeting where we can ask for her forgiveness. DAT flirting dialog with Anna. DAT restrained flirting with Fall-From-Grace. I had FFG kiss him just to test the skill. And the final dialog with FFG...

Make an exception to play male Chosen One (I usually play females), then sleep my way across the Wasteland. Have to restrain myself not slaughter Bishop House: I slept with TWO Bishop women, it's churlish to kill them all. Read the ending :lol: Bishop house generally survive in my F2 run thanks to Angela and Leslie Anne.

Seeing Quistis for the 1st time in infirmary. Sue me, I have a fetish for cool, glassed, teacher-type. Damn Squall for rebuff her half-flirted dialog during the walk! Or the night date.

The whole start of that game is great, the Garden was a cool setting, too bad it tanks at the end. Twice I've played the game until the final dungeon and just quit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh, I've also remembered one seriously great moment that can happen in Darklands. Sometimes when you invade the castle of a lord who doesn't turn out to be evil, he can force your party to gtfo via divine intervention. That shit is so cool. It's like a much cooler version of Bloodlines' triple "I will do it" dialogue options after trying to refuse Lacroix.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Oh, I've also remembered one seriously great moment that can happen in Darklands. Sometimes when you invade the castle of a lord who doesn't turn out to be evil, he can force your party to gtfo via divine intervention. That shit is so cool. It's like a much cooler version of Bloodlines' triple "I will do it" dialogue options after trying to refuse Lacroix.

It has no relation to Bloodlines, retard.

Also not an RPG, but the avatars are available so whatever. Renaming all of the soldiers in XCOM: UFO Defense to classmates in elementary school. Sending the shitty kids out of the skyranger first with shitguns while my friends and me had heavy plasmas and good armor.

himmy

Arcane
Getting in Vivec for the first time in Morrowind. After spending quite a bit of time in Balmora I teleported to Vivec via the Mage's Guild and HOLY SHIT. I first realized that the Foreign Quarter was huge and was filled with quests and interesting places and then I realized it was just one of the many quarters Vivec had. I was besides myself.

In Gothic 3, the confusing level design in Nordmar actually lead to a cool moment when I found myself lost, severely underleveled, surrounded by orcs, with no potions or plants left and with less than half my health. The next two hours turned Gothic 3 into a roguelike experience, where almost everything could one hit kill me while I was trying to get back to civilization.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The first time i managed to defeat Sarevok. I was like 8 or 10, so I must have skipped a lot of the game's "goodies" and I kept getting REKT by Sarevok. I finally managed to defeat him by sending a mage (my main char and Dynaeir) to tank him with mage buffs and mirror image while Coran arrowed the big baddie to death. Hence, my avatar.

Sarevok was the "big villain" of my nerdy childhood, I guess.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Also not an RPG, but the avatars are available so whatever. Renaming all of the soldiers in XCOM: UFO Defense to classmates in elementary school. Sending the shitty kids out of the skyranger first with shitguns while my friends and me had heavy plasmas and good armor.

We all been there. Sometimes your asshole classmates fail to die. Nothing the blaster launcher won't solve, tho.

Sjukob

Arcane

We all been there. Sometimes your asshole classmates fail to die. Nothing the blaster launcher won't solve, tho.

I certainly learned something new about people today .

Lhynn

Arcane
My first pvp. It was on diablo battlenet. I must have had 15 years maybe. Anyway, there were 4 of us cleaning the lower levels, close to unlocking diablo. All of the sudden one of them turns on us, his gear was obviously custom and he killed the other almost instantly. I had chain lighting slotted so i knew i could not fight him. I decided to teleport away fast, hidding to give me time to slot fireball, then went looking for him.
When i found him i started fireballing him from a distance, he begun doing the same, his fireballs hurting as much as mine even tho i was a mage with maxed out ones, this went on for about the longest 30 seconds of my life, the potion chugging was going really fast as my mp went down at an alarming rate.
Finally as i was about to give it up, with my last potion in line and ready to call him cheater, when he suddenly goes down . Felt awesome.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
not exactly RPG, but the first Diablo. The atmosphere, the feeling of dread, the music, that feeling of relief when you portaled "home" and got to be safe for a while. The first Baldur's Gate, becoming aware of finally "being" on the Sword Coast after reading so much about it, being able to explore it, to interact with its inhabitants. The first Fallout, planting weapons on the folks in Adytum to help them kill the regulators, and getting the Power Armor of Course. Killing Horrigan in FO2. Realizing the vastness and how detailed the world was in Morrowind and starting to actually explore it, after arriving for the first time in Balmora. Lots of stuff in Old World Blues (Richie likes balls!).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Mine wasn't an insult either. I'm a newfag myself, but six months is enough to realize 95% percent of the population of Codexia belong in a padded cell. You still find statements like that "new" because, well, you joined friday. :lol:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Post a fond memory of an RPG

The fondest RPG memory I have is my first full runthrough of Fallout 2 (being an unfortunate soul that didn't have the opportunity to play the series in order), can't really pinpoint anything specific. I had liked stuff before it - Wasteland, Realms of Arkania, some of the Goldbox games and such - but Fallout really felt like something else. Seeing that sort of strange world and what came with it for the first time, learning the tricks of the trade, trial and error, finding stuff out. I haven't really experienced nothing like that since.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I've also remembered one seriously great moment that can happen in Darklands. Sometimes when you invade the castle of a lord who doesn't turn out to be evil, he can force your party to gtfo via divine intervention.

Damned, I never saw that.
But then I never "grinded" the robber knights either.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of my fondest memory is listening to the chapter narration of IWD2. The girl who does it has such a beautiful voice, I loved listening to it.

Also, listening to Deionarra's theme is PST also felt nice. Oh, and getting the fly spell in Might and Magic VIII.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom