Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech Support Post your random OS security tips here.

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA), Apr 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM.

1. Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA) Artist Formerly Known as Prosper Übermensch

Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA)
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    -Do a hash check before mounting an encrypted volume to make sure it hasn't been replaced.
    -Prefer copy and paste over keystrokes. (wipe the clipboard routinely in addition).
    -Copy your command line logs into a separate disk you mount/unmount before each command being processed. This way if an attacker wrecks your system or deletes the local logs you got a copy you can review of how they did the attack.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    • Thanks! x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again ManjuShri Arcane

ManjuShri
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  3. spectre Magister

spectre
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA) Artist Formerly Known as Prosper Übermensch

Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA)
    Parrots:
  5. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Stop using Windows.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Only access the internet via a disposable phone. Drop it through strangers' letter boxes before calling the police.
    Create a fake identity and have several papers published in that name. This ID can be quickly discarded when required.
    Route all network traffic through a VPN installed on your boss's computer.

^ Top  
  7. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    Parrots:
  8. Twiglard Learned

Twiglard
    Parrots:
    - Don't install an antivirus. Run "sysinternals autoruns" every couple months and on a hunch.
    - Use crypto certificates without a password since it's a pain in the ass otherwise.
    - Use variations of the same few passwords and try them in turn if failing to login somewhere.
    - Accidentally share the whole hard drive on Soulseek

But one guy was a king:

Connected an embedded PC outside someone else's home. Got electricity and wifi. Routed TOR over it.

^ Top  
  9. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    Linux.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    - Don't hack your OS. Pay for it.
    - Don't hack your Internet Security suite. Pay for it.
    - Disable remote assistance and related shit.
    - Have two or three different browsers, one of which being a portable, noscripts etc. version.
    - Get a good VPN. The kind you pay for.
    - (if appliccable) use said VPN on your laptop/shitty PC, reformat your main, pick a different static IP, connect for the first time through aforementioned laptop/shitty PC. Afterwards, install VPN on the main too.
    - Be smart about your passwords.
    - Have multiple email addresses. Be smart about them too (Aenra, Aenra2 and Aenra3 is not smart).
    - Have secondary payment options that do not immediately link to your actual name.
    - Never save passes and keys on your main PC, unless you have a good encryption software. The kind you pay for.
    - Use your head.

The rest is for tin foil parties and eXXXtreme kiddies that think NSA has nothing better to do than spy on them 24/7.

^ Top  
  11. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Parrots:
    - Don't use an OS.

^ Top  
  12. asfasdf Savant

asfasdf
    Parrots:
    Write your own kernel, from scratch.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. buru5 Novice

buru5
    Parrots:
  14. iZerw Cipher

iZerw
    Parrots:
    It's kind of pointless. Your IPS records your traffic, all your activity in internet links to specific time and encrypted traffic from your IP - busted.
    VPN - the same situation.
    Wi-Fi from random cafe - we have time of activity and IP of cafe which marks physical space of connection. Cameras are everywhere and now we have you face. I bet you have photos of yours in fb, or you use iphone or android phone.
    You tips are good only if nobody interested in you (FBI, NSA, FSB etc).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    iZerw no; i don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any of this modern shit. I don't post pics of myself or my loved ones, ever, not even of my dog. I don't post pics of my vicinity, house or back yard. I don't use messengers. I am careful to say enough for others to have an idea of me, but less than what's needed to be identified. She doesn't either.
    Basically, i wasn't born recently and thank God for that much.

And not really. All my ISP sees is an IP in Indonesia; that's it. And while they do have a timelog, all it shows is that i connected there when i woke up and disconnected just before turning the PC off. And due to the laws currently in effect in Indonesia, that's all they can ever provide to any local authority. They're welcome to it.

As to who's looking for whom, spare me please. Seriously. Never use hyperbole to prove a point.

edit: mind you, am not here to say this is bullet proof, nothing is. Am here to say that unless your hobby of choice is plotting the death of innocent civilians, the above is more than enough. Ergo my saying 'the rest is for tin foil parties'. All things in good measure :)
    I can say what i feel like without worrying that someone like Surf Solar will rat on me. I can do my transactions without the usual sniffers getting a track of my preferences. I can 'dare' visit a site that may or may not be on a watch list if i just wish to have a look in it. More than enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    ^ Top  
  16. dextermorgan Magister

dextermorgan
    Parrots:
    etckeeper, iptables, encrypted lvm.

Not that I'd bother on a personal machine but your paranoia might may vary.

^ Top  
  17. iZerw Cipher

iZerw
    Parrots:
    And no one from your family has accounts in any social networks and doesn't share or save photos with your image?

Laws:lol:. Look, I too believed that my ISP knows only that I'm connected or not until when I worked as electrician in the biggest ISP and provider for other ISPs I stumbled upon, along with machines from 70's for army and others, FSB servers with FSB soft on them which record much more than your on\off status. One call and your fingers will be breaking for your unbreakable 256-bit passwords.
    If we talk about "cool hackers" yes you can protect your private data and money from them, but not from a state or corporations. There is no privacy for anyone anymore, that's very very sad.

^ Top  
  18. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    No dude, my folks don't use Facebook or post their private shit in the Internet either, we ain't no millennials. Anyway, because this is starting to feel like i'm talking to JCD.

Am not into paranoia. And we're derailing the thread :)

^ Top  
  19. iZerw Cipher

iZerw
    Parrots:
    Here are screenshots of soft runing on FSB servers in every major Russian IPS for example:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm done. Resistance is futile. Using VPN, much encrypted connections? You are in a special list. Good night.

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Parrots:
    Back up your shit.

Stop giving a fuck about security beyond that.

Problem solved.

^ Top  
  21. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    iZerw i'd like to hope you missed my point. Otherwise, you need to re-acquaint yourself with the term "in good measure". Told you myself, nothing's bullet proof. That doesn't mean we need take one extreme and rebrand it as the average, not how it goes. As to what lists i am and am not in.. never add the personal when attempting to define the general :)

(not here to argue, unlike many juveniles here, i CAN have discussions with people i disagree with)

Nope, that's half-solved; at best.
    - What if you've got yourself a healthy dosage of identity theft? You can nuke it all from orbit for all they care, you're still fucked.
    - What if you got a BIOS kit? Now that's fucked alright, no image gonna help you on that one.

You gotta put the emphasis on prevention. While viruses, true viruses, are a rarity these days, we have other, worse situations to be keeping a lookout for. Backups don't help with those.

^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Parrots:
    Well, see, if the hassle and annoyance to maintain a secure system secure is worst than actually having a virus infection, it just isn't worth it to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    I respect that. Except there ain't much of a choice.
    - You can either take the risk (personally speaking, i literally can't).
    - Or do your work in advance; gets easier after that. Plus, you've got your ass covered.

But either way, images/backups are no longer a panacea solution.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)