Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prepare for Diablo II, Warcraft III, and Starcraft Enhanced Editions

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Meanwhile, Blizzard is hiring to restore some Oldies:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000XZ

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CLASSIC GAMES

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
-Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
-Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
-Own implementation and curation of features new and old.

-Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
-Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.

I still miss that War2 HD remake.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only positive from that "restoring some oldies" I can see is that more people will get the chance to play The Lost Vikings (both titles).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
-Own implementation and curation of features new and old.

Are they really using 'own' here in the sense I think they are? Like 'pwned?' Anyway, they should remake WC2 and 3 in the SC2/Hots engine.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seems like whole team response for maintaining old stuff bailed out (both intern fodders).
If they ever touch Diablo1 - it better be compatible with The Hell.
No questions that they won't revive Hellfire addon - different company (dead) and silly content (shouldn't be a problem compared to D3).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Are they really using 'own' here in the sense I think they are? Like 'pwned?' Anyway, they should remake WC2 and 3 in the SC2/Hots engine.

No - this is a common term in software development. The context is taking ownership. It's used a lot in agile in the context of "Owning a Story".

Like if there's a bug or feature you're assigned to, owning that feature means you take it all the way to production without passing the work onto another developer. If something goes wrong with that feature you are an 'expert' on how it works and should be a point of contact to resolve it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We already have digital editions of all those games, and we damn well don't need any stinking "enhanced" editions. Blizzard being fuck heads as usual.

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
If they can make Warcraft 3 even more prettier then that's awesome. Warcraft 3 was the best Cartoony graphics had to offer.

The only positive from that "restoring some oldies" I can see is that more people will get the chance to play The Lost Vikings (both titles).

I remember when they listed the game right at the top, like another game you might want to play. Just a decade ago I think, before they shoved it back in the bottom of a page's list to make way for the new terrible games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If they make diablo 2 same as it was and close servers for diablo 3 it will be the best move.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah a diablo 2 enhanced edition could be cool.

I trust and/or like Blizzard nowadays as far as I can throw them, but it coooould be cool.

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 I can definitively understand why they think it's a good idea business wise. But isn't Starcraft 1 HD shooting themselves in the foot when Starcraft 2's competitive scene needs some revitalizing.

Diablo 1/2 high res would ruin game balance by doubling/tripling the range of abilities.

Starcraft/Warcraft1/2 high res would have unplayably small units. I guess WC1 could be updated so that it doesn't require dosbox.

WC3 could use an aspect ratio fix for widescreen resolutions.

Not really seeing what they could 'enhance' here.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Diablo 1/2 high res would ruin game balance by doubling/tripling the range of abilities.

Starcraft/Warcraft1/2 high res would have unplayably small units. I guess WC1 could be updated so that it doesn't require dosbox.

WC3 could use an aspect ratio fix for widescreen resolutions.

Not really seeing what they could 'enhance' here.
They'll add bloom and facebook integration.

Oh and achievement(s) that unlock hearthstone cardback(s).

Neanderthal

Arcane
They'll add bloom and facebook integration.

Oh and achievement(s) that unlock hearthstone cardback(s).

And always online as a necessity, which will raise a bit of complaint that doesn't halt massive sales at all.

Then on the Blizzard forums dumbfucks will ask why they aren't making good games anymore? An exec'll smile and say why should we when you'll buy shit?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't expect too much other than integration with the new Battle.net launcher/platform.

Gregz

Arcane
Diablo 2 had such a brilliant skill and gear synergy system.

I'd love to see them high-rez it with perhaps more rune words, and more mechanics for online play (like smart-loot, no ninja loot, auction house, hard-mode, group finder, guilds, cross account storage, etc.)

KK1001

Arbiter
Blizzard is a shell of its former self. It's really sad to see it staffed with a bunch of talentless, video game school graduates. They can't do anything except polish well these days.

Gentle Player

Arcane
I don't believe Diablo I, II, and possibly Warcraft III, would benefit from 'enhanced editions' at all. However, Starcraft and the earlier Warcraft games would benefit from UI improvements, but nothing else.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Worse, it was in the NWN 2 engine. Or was it BG 1?
BG1 on NWN2 is a thing, and BG2 too but don't remember if they finished it.
Last time all they did was putting Irenicus behind the drum set, so he can speak his line while creating tence, jazz club atmosphere.

There is also Betrayal at Krondor (only first chapter) and IWD2 (I think it's complete?) and Eye of the Beholder.

J1M

Arcane
I wouldn't expect too much other than integration with the new Battle.net launcher/platform.
And windows 10 support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom