Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pretti! Interface-graphics

Mnemon

Educated
Hi,

sorry for jumping in out of no where. I think a good interface looks elegant but doesn't dominate the screen or is too much of an eyecandy thing. I.e. it is supposed to be an interface not the part of the screen that naturaly draws attention to it.

I sort of have the feeling that while Elhoim's work is great it gets a little too "intrusive" slowly.

4a.jpg

Just took a screenshot from the main site and pasted the interface in. I tried to find one that didn't have stone or wood textures in, as the one used so far has. It is an outdated one, I gather - no shadows and the like, but it was the closest one I found that had a different setting.

I think it'd help to try out the interface against really varying backgrounds - with this particular screen it just stands out too much, in my opinion, is too textured and doesn't harmonize well with the rest of the screen. I think Elegance over complexity should be the aim.

But generally ... like it heeps more then the one that was in originally.

-Mnemon

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
1) the top horizontal stone bar doesn't fit with the rest of the interface (and even if you kept it, the repeating texture looks weak).

The texture looks weak because of the design or because of the definition? One time I placed a horizontal wooded beam, but VD didn´t like it...

2) the vertical wooden bars don't look quite right either - they look flat, like a piece of paper. Part of that is the lack of shading (like the weapon slots) and also that they tuck underneath that horizontal stone bar. it just looks flat.

You are right, I´m gonna give it more "density".

3) the action icons blend into the background. they need to be more clearly defined. i would actually recommend going with switching them to a single color across the board, kinda like that interface way back in the beginning of this thread. they simplified the icons and it made them pop out more.

The icons are just some sons of bitches. I´m gonna leave them for now. ;) If I have to to something to them, I´ll have to do it from scratch. I´ll focus on them later.

4) more of a personal preference thing but i don't like the health and AP icons. they don't look well defined and they look squeezed together like you struggled to fit them into those spaces.

I like them. But I was thinking on changing a couple of thing around there...

Otherwise, great job Elhoim. Always nice to see persistence rewarded.

Thank you! :D

jeansberg

Liturgist
I think the interface fits nicely in that last screenshot. And Elhoim, I think you mean he, he. :)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Okay, I´ve made a character button. I also moved things around a little. Don´t pay to much attention to the upper bar as I still don´t know what to do with it! ;)

Azaghâl

Novice
I Barely know you, but that doesn't stop me of being proud of you :wink:

The character button kickass, I love it. And the upper bar is better than before, but still lacks something, is too neat neat, looks like pasted in the UI :?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neat. The helmet was a great idea for a change. :P

As for the bar, just return to the one before you changed it.

Elhoim said:
[The icons are just some sons of bitches. I´m gonna leave them for now. ;) If I have to to something to them, I´ll have to do it from scratch. I´ll focus on them later.
What? You gotta be kidding me. So you're saying you can't just select some fancy magic tool in your fancy graphics editing program (with magic) to make the icons look more plastic? What about the magical embossed and relief effecty you did before?

Now I am disappointed. I thought this was the 21st century. And my car still don't fly either! :x

PS:

Someone complained that the HP and AP symbols look to cramped in those alcoves. Not that I mind a whole lot, but maybe you could just widen those a tiny bit.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Elhoim said:
[The icons are just some sons of bitches. I´m gonna leave them for now. ;) If I have to to something to them, I´ll have to do it from scratch. I´ll focus on them later.
What? You gotta be kidding me. So you're saying you can't just select some fancy magic tool in your fancy graphics editing program (with magic) to make the icons look more plastic? What about the magical embossed and relief effecty you did before?

Now I am disappointed. I thought this was the 21st century. And my still don't fly either! :x

The thing is that it would be nice to make them just like the HP/AP simbols, statue (or plastic) like. But they would blend to well with the background, and I will have to change that too...

I´ll see what I can do...

BTW, are the slots a little better now?

whatusername

Scholar
The problem with Elhoim's interface is, that it's too intrusive. I should be focusing on the game, not on the interface. Whenever I look at the screens with the new interface, I can't seem to focus on the actual game itself, I always seem to be driven towards the interface.

This is why I liked android's and the original design. They both seemed to be clean, natural and unintrusive.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
whatusername said:
The problem with Elhoim's interface is, that it's too intrusive. I should be focusing on the game, not on the interface. Whenever I look at the screens with the new interface, I can't seem to focus on the actual game itself, I always seem to be driven towards the interface.

This is why I liked android's and the original design. They both seemed to be clean, natural and unintrusive.

It is true that my GUI is sometimes very detailed and crisp, while the game is more "bland" in it´s textures, so there is a high contrast.

Maybe you would like this better? :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Allright, last one for today. I am finally done with work.

Shame about the marble, but this is really much better. It's also much more like VD's original design, I notice. Thumbs up!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Allright, last one for today. I am finally done with work.

Shame about the marble, but this is really much better. It's also much more like VD's original design, I notice. Thumbs up!

Thanks Claw! :D

I´m done for today too...

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
This is quiet...

VD, can you give me some more details on the inventory screen. For example, which size are the icons are? What attributes do they have? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

suibhne

Erudite
Sorry, it's a little daunting to engage in a thread that grows by 5+ pages a day and whose examples seem to become obsolete as soon as I hit "Reply". :P

I guess I'll go on record as saying, in perpetuity, I prefer Android's design approach because I prefer more minimal interfaces. Large, intrusive interfaces are never appropriate in my view. I think Elhoim's work is praiseworthy and graphically beautiful, but it's a totally different set of design priorities than I would have. So no, my silence doesn't mean I always love the last design. :wink:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Sorry, it's a little daunting to engage in a thread that grows by 5+ pages a day and whose examples seem to become obsolete as soon as I hit "Reply". :P

I guess I'll go on record as saying, in perpetuity, I prefer Android's design approach because I prefer more minimal interfaces. Large, intrusive interfaces are never appropriate in my view. I think Elhoim's work is praiseworthy and graphically beautiful, but it's a totally different set of design priorities than I would have. So no, my silence doesn't mean I always love the last design. :wink:

I don´t know how much minimal I can go! (In my last design) ;)

I guess this line: I guess I'll go on record as saying, in perpetuity, goes perfectly with your avatar! (just joking, don´t take it too bad. "Never say never..." ;))

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
On a side note, it´s almost a miracle that this thread didn´t turn in a flame war between "style supporters". There have been some little indirects, but nothing else. I guess it must be because Volourn hasn´t come here yet with his artillery of "idiots" and "morons"... ;)

Monolith

Prophet
Claw said:
Obviously everyone loves the last design and consequently ignores the thread since there's nothing left to complain about.

Actually, I prefer that one (except the upper bar, which looks better in Elhoim's most recent version). I want the marble back...and fuck depressions.

Fryjar

Augur
I have to agree, your previous versions are superior to your last one(s) (two versions ago it was perfect).
I especially dislike the depressions...
Btw: The new button order isnt as organized, so maybe you should consider pushing them up again. Probably you have the chance to simply erase the attack button, if you want to get some more room for the other icons.
Furthermore, while your (old) gui and especially the dialogue screen leave nothing more to be desired, there is still some room left for improvement when it comes to the character screen and the crafting one.
While the overall theme is acceptable in the last one, especially the "lava" doesn't work for me.
Particullarly the coloured character should only be displayed in one colour
. Therefore, I suggest that you should probably copy some elements from the dialogue screen and integrate them into the other ones to achieve a more coherent style.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
They post, they complain. That's our Codex.

Ha, ha...

Maybe I should make a poll: Do you want the weapon slots depressed or not? :P

PS: I wonder if Android is preparing himself for a great comeback...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom