Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pretti! Interface-graphics

sabishii

Arbiter
Well... make them protrude but depress the one that's selected.

sabishii

Arbiter
Elhoim said:
sabishii said:

I don´t think that it´s possible. VD would know best.
Well, I was assuming that those two main slots indicated which two weapons were at the ready. So that one of them would be active, and the depression would indicate which one.

Even if that's not so, the animation of clicking on one of the slots could be a quick depression and then coming back up again. There has to be some kind of feedback for clicking on it anyways.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
sabishii said:
Elhoim said:
sabishii said:

I don´t think that it´s possible. VD would know best.
Well, I was assuming that those two main slots indicated which two weapons were at the ready. So that one of them would be active, and the depression would indicate which one.

Even if that's not so, the animation of clicking on one of the slots could be a quick depression and then coming back up again. There has to be some kind of feedback for clicking on it anyways.

The same could go for the icons, but VD said that they didn´t have that functionality...

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
VD, can you give me some more details on the inventory screen. For example, which size are the icons are? What attributes do they have? Any suggestions?
VD will be back only in a week or so.
Icons (if you mean inventory items icons) are 170x63 in 800x600 screen resolution, if I remember correctly. (I don't have those files here). If you work in a different res, just keep the proportions.

Now the question about the GUI skins. It wasn't planned, but it seems that you guys leave me no choice. I absolutely love the android's stuff, but Elhoim has perfected his design too, it looks awesome now. If both of you can finish what you've started, we'll take them both. I still need a confirmation from "Vincenzo" :), but personally I would like to add such an option.

Also, a quick comment on Elhoim's dlg screen. The answers section - make the "wall" at right more straight. I don't want to do some magic with code to make the answers text try to fit your artistic background :) I.e. we need something closer to rectangle.

Also, I remember about your texture, Elhoim. But this is the hell of a week, doesn't leave me much time for Max and texturing. Hopefully, I will return to my normal schedule in a couple of days.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Icons (if you mean inventory items icons) are 170x63 in 800x600 screen resolution, if I remember correctly. (I don't have those files here). If you work in a different res, just keep the proportions.

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Now the question about the GUI skins. It wasn't planned, but it seems that you guys leave me no choice. I absolutely love the android's stuff, but Elhoim has perfected his design too, it looks awesome now. If both of you can finish what you've started, we'll take them both. I still need a confirmation from "Vincenzo" :), but personally I would like to add such an option.

That would be amazing! I sometimes wondered if I should invest more time in this without any security of success, because Android stuff is really great. But if you give me the green light, I will go full steam ahead with the interface. And don´t worry, I will finish them, you have my word. :)

Also, a quick comment on Elhoim's dlg screen. The answers section - make the "wall" at right more straight. I don't want to do some magic with code to make the answers text try to fit your artistic background :) I.e. we need something closer to rectangle.

Will do. ;)

Also, I remember about your texture, Elhoim. But this is the hell of a week, doesn't leave me much time for Max and texturing. Hopefully, I will return to my normal schedule in a couple of days.

Great! :D

Maybe I will tinker with the when the game is out, so I could check them ingame. ;)

Thanks for your response, Flashback! :D

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I was thinking about the inventory screen...

We know it´s weight based, with no quantity restrictions. So a tiled system like in BG or NWN is out of the question. So it would be something like Fallout or Oblivion, with a scrolling list.

I hope I won´t be cruxified for this, but... What do you think of Oblivion inventory screen? (besides the horrible scale!). Would you like AoD to have something similar, I mean, a scrolling list with the stats, and different tabs for different type of equipment?

For the trade screen, I was thinking something along the lines of Baldur´s Gate: You select what you want to sell and then you press the sell button to make the transaction (with an option to buy stacks, of course!). Or should it be more "barter" like, along the lines of Fallout and Gothic 3?

Flashback, I need you to clarify something for me. VD said this about the slots:

Two armor pieces: body armor + helmet. Overall there are 9 equipment slots: helmet, body armor, cloak, amulet, two rings (left & right), two belt bags (left & right) - for things like toolkits, nets, etc, and two hand slots that you can see on the main gui.

It is 9 or 10? The armor slots are one or two? Are they body armor on one slot and helmet on the other, or are they a whole?

Thanks!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Flashback said:
Well, you don't really. You need a sufficiently large rectangular space, but there is no rule saying that there can't be a larger non-rectangular space around it. :wink:

Elhoim said:
We know it´s weight based, with no quantity restrictions. So a tiled system like in BG or NWN is out of the question.
How so?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Elhoim said:
We know it´s weight based, with no quantity restrictions. So a tiled system like in BG or NWN is out of the question.
How so?

You are right. ;)

But I think it would be harder to do due to the rectagular nature of the icons... or not. :)

But personally I would go with the scrolling list way.

Anyway, we shall see.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
I hope I won´t be cruxified for this, but... What do you think of Oblivion inventory screen? (besides the horrible scale!). Would you like AoD to have something similar, I mean, a scrolling list with the stats, and different tabs for different type of equipment?
FO version + tabs would be nice.

For the trade screen, I was thinking something along the lines of Baldur´s Gate: You select what you want to sell and then you press the sell button to make the transaction
Yep. That's how it works now.

It is 9 or 10? The armor slots are one or two? Are they body armor on one slot and helmet on the other, or are they a whole?
10 slots, body armour and helmet are equipped separately.

Claw said:
Well, you don't really. You need a sufficiently large rectangular space, but there is no rule saying that there can't be a larger non-rectangular space around it.
True. But more more free space = less scrolling = better, imo.

android

Novice
I've made some small changes, mainly to the icons, added scrollbar to the main interface and rendered everything in high-res, so you can see how it would look in fullscreen. I've put it all together to one place, here it's getting quite chaotic ;-)

http://aod.velebny.net/

denizsi said:
Modifications on Android's interface again.
Somehow the reordering of the icons and their original style doesn't fit, sorry. You've enlarged the textbox to add more lines, but you've made it thinner, so in total there won't fit more text. Of course not counting the smaller font, which could be an option.

Vault Dweller said:
If it takes a month to come up with these designs, so be it. I have time. As long as the designs are evolving and improving, the time isn't wasted.
Whose time? ;-)

kaizoku said:
Is anybody fixing the cursor!!! Damn... that's annoying
Agreed. Everything has it's time.

Flashback said:
Now the question about the GUI skins. It wasn't planned, but it seems that you guys leave me no choice. I absolutely love the android's stuff, but Elhoim has perfected his design too, it looks awesome now. If both of you can finish what you've started, we'll take them both. I still need a confirmation from "Vincenzo" , but personally I would like to add such an option.
Thanks, but I'm not really sure if offering multiple skins is a good idea, has it been ever done before? I feel like skinning is for Winamp and such. But in the end it might work, I don't know.

Fresh

Erudite
android said:
I've made some small changes, mainly to the icons, added scrollbar to the main interface and rendered everything in high-res, so you can see how it would look in fullscreen. I've put it all together to one place, here it's getting quite chaotic ;-)

denizsi said:
Modifications on Android's interface again.
Somehow the reordering of the icons and their original style doesn't fit, sorry. You've enlarged the textbox to add more lines, but you've made it thinner, so in total there won't fit more text. Of course not counting the smaller font, which could be an option.

Vault Dweller said:
If it takes a month to come up with these designs, so be it. I have time. As long as the designs are evolving and improving, the time isn't wasted.
Whose time? ;-)

kaizoku said:
Is anybody fixing the cursor!!! Damn... that's annoying
Agreed. Everything has it's time.

Flashback said:
Now the question about the GUI skins. It wasn't planned, but it seems that you guys leave me no choice. I absolutely love the android's stuff, but Elhoim has perfected his design too, it looks awesome now. If both of you can finish what you've started, we'll take them both. I still need a confirmation from "Vincenzo" , but personally I would like to add such an option.
Thanks, but I'm not really sure if offering multiple skins is a good idea, has it been ever done before? I feel like skinning is for Winamp and such. But in the end it might work, I don't know.

Looks sweet.

A few details:

I'd modify the top horizontal border. Remove it or make it smaller. The interface is a tad too large on my 19". Less is more.

Also I'd make them icons more red than orange.

Like so:

Otherwise great work indeed.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

I remember old games having such an option. And I don´t think that it has any relevance if it has been done before or not. Unless you want to take all the "glory" for yourself. If you want that, go ahead and take it. I´m not in mood to compete over "I want my UI to be the only one". ;)

android

Novice
Elhoim said:
I remember old games having such an option. And I don´t think that it has any relevance if it has been done before or not. Unless you want to take all the "glory" for yourself. If you want that, go ahead and take it. I´m not in mood to compete over "I want my UI to be the only one". ;)
It wasn't ment like that. Even if the codex hivemind chooses your designs it might be better for the game to have just one graphical style. It might work to have both, I don't know, but it's quite hard to imagine, they're quite different. Also since we take different approach to those interfaces and underlying mechanics, it would probably be pretty time-consuming to implement both. But if Flashback wants to code them... ;-)

Even if I disagree with some things you do, I think your work looks quite good and much better than the original, which is the whole purpose of this.

!HyPeRbOy! said:
I'd modify the top horizontal border. Remove it or make it smaller. The interface is a tad too large on my 19". Less is more.
I tried that and then I thought if someone wants to save space, he can switch to the compact interface... but we'll see.

!HyPeRbOy! said:
Also I'd make them icons more red than orange
That color is in no way final ;-)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It wasn't ment like that. Even if the codex hivemind chooses your designs it might be better for the game to have just one graphical style. It might work to have both, I don't know, but it's quite hard to imagine, they're quite different. Also since we take different approach to those interfaces and underlying mechanics, it would probably be pretty time-consuming to implement both. But if Flashback wants to code them...

Yeah, I also thought about the different layouts... It would be easier if the UIs had the same underlying design...

Even if I disagree with some things you do, I think your work looks quite good and much better than the original, which is the whole purpose of this.

Thank you. :)

Just out of curiosity, what bothers you about what I do?

Fryjar

Augur
Great work, android.
So, what about adding the head once again to the interface?
I guess since, most people changed their opinion about its visual effect after you removed it you should think about it.

Moreover I guess, that your text box approach for the Dialogue is the optimal and most elegant solution.
But apparently thats a pretty controversial topic over here...

hiciacit

Liturgist
android said:
Also I'd make them icons more red than orange
That color is in no way final ;-)

Good. Bring back the rusted copper look then :D . Really great work, I like your's best, but I still think the crafting screen is somewhat lacking. The icons don't really stand out compared to the dark stone background, and the 'veins' just don't match.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
android said:
That's sweet. Excellent work, as always.
And while I like most of your suggestions, personally I would like to keep the old dialogue screen setup. It was tweaked 1000 times and finally reached the state when everyone liked it. Also, it has much more space for NPC text, which is always a good thing (no scrolling required)

android said:
I don't know for sure either. But there is a reason why I have suggested that option: you've probably noticed that a lot of codexers here like the Elhoim's version. Why? It's designed in a totally different manner than yours, has a different look and feel. So now it's not about "which design is more artistic", now it's just a matter of taste.
So, I thought, if we can appeal to both groups, why the hell not? And no, I didn't forget that "can't please everyone" rule. Just thought that minor feature like this is worth implementing. I know I can do that, I know it won't take a week...
Too early to talk about this, anyway. First of all I'd need VD's confirmation.

android said:
Also since we take different approach to those interfaces and underlying mechanics, it would probably be pretty time-consuming to implement both. But if Flashback wants to code them...
I don't, obviously. The core mechanics can't be changed anyway (weight-based inventory system, for example), so all the methods and shit will work as they worked before. I'll have to add and/or rewrite some scripts, which will come with the GUI files. Not a rocket science, imo. At least it looks so right now. Is it worth doing? I'd answer "yes", but let's see what will VD & Codex say.
It's not a core feature, though, even if everyone agrees that it's teh best idea evar. I would add it to "when I have time" list anyway. Besides, I haven't seen your inventory and trade screens yet - I still can change my mind :), if the difference is too drastic and approaches are totally "incompatible". Or someone will have to redesign the gui to make it work with a "better" approach ;) ...which is a whole new discussion.

Right now I'm just happy that we've got both of you. Please keep up the good work. Thank you, guys, for your time and efforts.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, no redesign in two days? That's great! You're getting that compulsive behaviour under control after all. :)

Flashback said:
True. But more more free space = less scrolling = better, imo.
I didn't expect the answer section to require any scrolling. My only concern would be if there's enough space for the [skill] tag on top of the actual answer, especially with multiple extensive answers, but I think he gained some room by getting rid of the double borders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom