Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pretti! Interface-graphics

denizsi

Arcane
Elhoim, scrollbar is blending too much into the screen, you might need to do something to make it more noticable. You also mght want to put a seperator line or something stylish to that effect between the actual inventory area and the doll/statue, speaking of which, the statue doesn't really fit in with the rest of the screen in my opinion. A statue with less drapery might fit better.

Colour range of Longshank's interface doesn't fit with the game's, and it's wasting some screen space imo.

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
@Elhoim
You haven't included any of the character stats that VD wanted, total weight, damage, AP, dodge, damage resistance etc. Basically the stats your equipment modifies and the weight of your stuff. As for the icons, the amulet icon could be a little clearer and the belt bag icons don't look like much of anything to me. I had to look back to VDs list to work out what they were. I think icons would be better than two letters for the tabs, although complete words would be best. What is Ac?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Joff1981 said:
@Elhoim
You haven't included any of the character stats that VD wanted, total weight, damage, AP, dodge, damage resistance etc. Basically the stats your equipment modifies and the weight of your stuff. As for the icons, the amulet icon could be a little clearer and the belt bag icons don't look like much of anything to me. I had to look back to VDs list to work out what they were. I think icons would be better than two letters for the tabs, although complete words would be best. What is Ac?

The icons were mostly placeholders. As well as the letters for the tabs. I also would like to make all the things on the right more "connected". As I said, it is mostly a placeholder screen, just to see if the layout of the screen is alright.

kaizoku

Arcane
Why don't you change the statue to something more classier... something with a penis... like Miguel Angelo's masterpiece, the David. Or Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man

With so much marmor stone i've been wondering... is this the look you want to give the game VD? It starts to look more like renaissence than post-post-post-nuclear...
The UIs look great, but they instantly remind me of the Romans and the Greeks.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
kaizoku said:
Why don't you change the statue to something more classier... something with a penis... like Miguel Angelo's masterpiece, the David. Or Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man

With so much marmor stone i've been wondering... is this the look you want to give the game VD? It starts to look more like renaissence than post-post-post-nuclear...
The UIs look great, but they instantly remind me of the Romans and the Greeks.

Well, it is like a Post-Apocaliptic Rome, so there won´t be any nuclear references and it is good that they remind you of Rome.

And about the statue, I like it. It is called A Roman Man, so it´s kinda fitting. I was going to place the vitruvian man, but it was to cliched.

denizsi

Arcane
An inventory hack-attempt at Android's interface, inspired by Elhoim's, with a Venus for female players. Something about it is not right, but I hope I or Android himself will come up with something much better.

459062fc637cd083278646.jpg

(alt link)

The two buttons on the selected Armor piece is for dropping and equipping/unequipping.

Btw, it's not vital I guess but still there aren't any released screens of inventory, including the game's site.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
The vitruvian man would be a terrible style-anachronism , considering Da Vinci lived about twelve hundred years after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elhoim said:
Here is a WIP I was doing. It is no way final, of course, as there are lot of rough spots, as you can see.
I think you need to tie the scroll bar and inventory slots together somehow. The arrangement of the equipment slots is odd. Place armour and cloak above weapons and rings.

denizsi

Arcane
New hack attempts at Android's for inventory.

The two buttons next to the selected crossbow are for whatever purposes for any selected item. "Equip/Unequip" and "Drop" maybe? Imagine they are not there if they bother you. Also, a floating box for any additional information while browsing through items.

45945e2b407b0950418223.jpg

And here's the same screen with the float box (edit) and a slightly improved one here.

And the same thing with slots and all the information about items moved into the float box.

45945e2ba6392344273102.jpg

And the one with the float box

( mirrors 1a 1b 1c 2a 2b )

edit: I guess I could place the gold and weight indicators to left, below the modified stats dialogue to gain one more inventory slot displayed.

denizsi

Arcane
And again, another attempt, same as above with slight changes. Removed weapon/item slots, thinking that weapons or items would be dragged onto the in-game item slots below and items could be dragged to the in-game area between the actual interface and inventory to drop them.

4595228c8e84d499985786.jpg

( mirror )

The previous slot style, where an armor takes one and a sword takes two slots, might fit better though. By the way, I want to say this again, the icon proportions are unnecessarily varying. Icons for swords, bows and the like could be made to occupy more or less the same amount of space as the armor or other smaller icons.

Durwyn

Prophet
denizsi said:
New hack attempts at Android's for inventory.

The two buttons next to the selected crossbow are for whatever purposes for any selected item. "Equip/Unequip" and "Drop" maybe? Imagine they are not there if they bother you. Also, a floating box for any additional information while browsing through items.

45945e2b407b0950418223.jpg
This one is real sweet. Almost everything is perfect in this one, but one thing is ugly as hell. Please change this horible venus from milo statue. Maybe sculpture of some character will fit?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So VD, any news on the decision of which GUI will you use? I am willing to commit a lot of time to this, but only if it is going to lead somewhere.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
So VD, any news on the decision of which GUI will you use? I am willing to commit a lot of time to this, but only if it is going to lead somewhere.
Well, we can use the both versions if they are well designed and finished. So far you are doing great. Some feedback on the inventory screen:

The statue doesn't work for some reasons. It should be more universal, i.e. people playing fighters or assassins shouldn't have to stare at a dude with a pointing finger. Perhaps, something more symbolic, like the vitruvian man, will work better. The item slots are too small. Items art is one of the better features of the game, so let's not hide it. The use, drop, close buttons are huge and horrible. Overall, it should be something similar to the main gui in style.

Edit: Check your email.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The statue doesn't work for some reasons. It should be more universal, i.e. people playing fighters or assassins shouldn't have to stare at a dude with a pointing finger. Perhaps, something more symbolic, like the vitruvian man, will work better. The item slots are too small. Items art is one of the better features of the game, so let's not hide it. The use, drop, close buttons are huge and horrible. Overall, it should be something similar to the main gui in style.

Great! Yeah, the buttons are horrible. The thing is that I didn´t had any prepared, so I just placed those one just to have them. Anyway, I´ll do a proper inv screen soon. ;)

User was nabbed fit

Wow, there sure has been a lot of work put into these pretti grafix... I've gone over the pages and I'm quite impressed.

I like the idea of being able to choose between a couple of GUIs.

Thrym

Novice
Longshanks I really like the coloring on yours, I would definitely like to see one like that in the game if there's going to be choices for GUIs.

Anaglyph

Novice
Just a general observation: is the game really supposed to be ROMAN! Some of the designs seem far too rooted in the real world to me. When you use the image of a famous cultural icon or try to stylistically mimic a particular famous culture you're going to immediately bring to mind all the associations it has. Seems there's a danger of AOD becoming a Roman game rather than a game which draws some inspiration from Rome. Nice though the statues and reliefs etc. look, I think if you're going to include them you need to design your own and make an effort to avoid invoking recognisable cultures and works of art to too great a degree.

For example, Longshanks proposal isn't as attractive as Elhoim's, but it doesn't scream "this is a Roman game" at you. I think a more abstract interface would be preferable.

I say this because I've gotten the impression from past statements by VD that the game is supposed to be inspired by Rome, but isn't supposed to be some sort of mimicry of Rome. Seems to me some of these designs run the danger of pushing the game into a sort of parallel universe Rome instead of simply a world that has similarities.

Other than that, some nice work here.

Relien

Scholar
I remember the time when we criticized Oblivion's inventory for having only six items visible at once, and I really find it impractical unless there will be just a few items in the game. I would like to see something like this:
denizsi said:
If the inventory is only limited by weight or number of items (Daggerfall, Fallout) and not by their size (Arcanum or Diablo), I don't see a reason for having different sizes of icons. If you don't want to hide the item art, there could be a more detailed image in the hovering hint window. If you won't use hint windows, you could have a fixed "detail window" like in Bloodlines. The inventory overview grid should contain less detailed elements to see a large part of its content and quickly find what you're looking for.

Fresh

Erudite
Anaglyph said:
Just a general observation: is the game really supposed to be ROMAN! Some of the designs seem far too rooted in the real world to me. When you use the image of a famous cultural icon or try to stylistically mimic a particular famous culture you're going to immediately bring to mind all the associations it has. Seems there's a danger of AOD becoming a Roman game rather than a game which draws some inspiration from Rome. Nice though the statues and reliefs etc. look, I think if you're going to include them you need to design your own and make an effort to avoid invoking recognisable cultures and works of art to too great a degree.

For example, Longshanks proposal isn't as attractive as Elhoim's, but it doesn't scream "this is a Roman game" at you. I think a more abstract interface would be preferable.

I say this because I've gotten the impression from past statements by VD that the game is supposed to be inspired by Rome, but isn't supposed to be some sort of mimicry of Rome. Seems to me some of these designs run the danger of pushing the game into a sort of parallel universe Rome instead of simply a world that has similarities.

Other than that, some nice work here.

I second that. Cool it with the roman-stuff.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I don't, there are no cultural icons except for architectural ones. And sculptures.. Fairly generic sculptures at that. As long as we don't see an image of one of the gods or some senator with a toga and a purple seam, it's just mimicking style. I don't like the beheaded and armless statue or the senator with the toga, there should just be a player avatar there, but apart from that, everything with Elhoim's design is fine.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah, the toga guy is the only Roman reference I REALLY made, and it was just a placeholder. If you see my GUIs, they are just ruined bricks, wood and marble. I don´t think that´s TOO roman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom