Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pretti! Interface-graphics

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, don't know about you, but there was one HUGE flaw in Fallout, and it was only being able to see six items at once. Surely VD is not THAT stupid. I mean, no one wants to see only six items at once. Seriously. Can you hear me? Please VD, have mercy.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
Surely VD is not THAT stupid.
Actually, he kinda is.

I mean, no one wants to see only six items at once. Seriously. Can you hear me? Please VD, have mercy.
I'm very open to different designs and ideas.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sure, the weapons boxes in my edit are wrong. Clarity is essential. But my idea there was mainly about the icons and the marble.

There is two options to fix the contrast issue, really. Either bring back the weapon boxes' background to what is was originally, i.e. make it lighter, or make the text white.

EDIT: Here's a quick edit with a lighter background
mainguireduxlightgamewh2.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vault Dweller said:
Jasede said:
Actually, he kinda is.

I mean, no one wants to see only six items at once. Seriously. Can you hear me? Please VD, have mercy.

All right, listen up then. I know it nicely reminds us all of Fallout to have only six items visible, but seriously, those are not enough. Scale the item-icons down and make it eight or ten... and if you can't do that, make it so that when the mouse is hovering on the inventory field, the mouse-wheel scrolls through the items.

Durwyn

Prophet
I'd prefer old weapon boxes, cos' on dark background items looks like shit.. Icons are great though.. good job Ismaul

All right, listen up then. I know it nicely reminds us all of Fallout to have only six items visible, but seriously, those are not enough. Scale the item-icons down and make it eight or ten... and if you can't do that, make it so that when the mouse is hovering on the inventory field, the mouse-wheel scrolls through the items.
Noes!!! TAHT IZ DA OLDSKULL MAN ! great oldschool feel with big item images...

Edit: Ismaul, your edited version looks good, but a little bit unconsistent. Maybe if icons had same background as weapon box...

Nedrah

Erudite
I vote for using the oldschool philosophy without disregarding certain progresses in usability of the interface that our times have brought. It's the content that's shit nowadays, not so much the interfaces.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Durwyn said:
Ismaul, your edited version looks good, but a little bit unconsistent. Maybe if icons had same background as weapon box...
Problem is, making the icons' background light would be unconsistent with the trade/inventory screens...
And anyways, if you look at Elhoim's version, the weapon boxes' background was actually different from the icons' one.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not too thrilled by Ismaul's proposition. It's too... I dunno. Maybe with a bright background for the icons, maybe even identical to the surrounding texture, it would look good but I don't like it like this.

Vault Dweller said:
Jasede said:
Actually, he kinda is.
:lol:

I thought we'd discussed that already, ffs. With tabs (which FO didn't have), stacking of identical items and not too many items six visible items should work fine.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I thought we'd discussed that already, ffs. With tabs (which FO didn't have), stacking of identical items and not too many items six visible items should work fine.

I think a lot of people is accustomed to Oblivion´s fat loot. I predict that in the only place where you will have to scroll is in the alchemy and crafting components tabs.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Elhoim said:
Vault Dweller said:
Great stuff, Ismaul. The main gui icons look perfect now.
Elhoim?

I have some plans, but I will talk about them after I finish all screens. :)
What, "trust me, it'll be good?"
We all know how that goes. :lol:

I'll wait and see.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Elhoim said:

I think a lot of people is accustomed to Oblivion´s fat loot. I predict that in the only place where you will have to scroll is in the alchemy and crafting components tabs.

Woah, man, guess you never played that one game with the many interesting items called Fallout before, huh? Scrolling through the items was a PITA unless you really only kept what was absolutely needed. Why bog the gameflow down artificially with sucky inventory management? There was one thing Fallout /sucked/ at, and that was inventory management. Just make those items mouse-wheel scrollable, smaller, or make tabs and we'll all live together in happy-happy land.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Ismaul said:
Elhoim said:
Vault Dweller said:
Great stuff, Ismaul. The main gui icons look perfect now.
Elhoim?

I have some plans, but I will talk about them after I finish all screens. :)
What, "trust me, it'll be good?"
We all know how that goes. :lol:

I'll wait and see.

No, it´s more like: "You almost spoiled something I´m going to do later, but I don´t want to talk about it right now".

Basically, I want to finish all screens first (there are only a couple left) and then begin the discussion about consistensy and styles.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
Elhoim said:

Woah, man, guess you never played that one game with the many interesting items called Fallout before, huh? Scrolling through the items was a PITA unless you really only kept what was absolutely needed. Why bog the gameflow down artificially with sucky inventory management? There was one thing Fallout /sucked/ at, and that was inventory management. Just make those items mouse-wheel scrollable, smaller, or make tabs and we'll all live together in happy-happy land.

I´ve made the Oblivion´s reference because it has tabs and big icons, whereas Fallout didn´t have tabs.

That said, don´t worry, it won´t be like FO in inventory management. As you can see, tabs are already implemented and I´m sure there will be mouse wheel support. Icons won´t be smaller, but as I said before, in most cases you won´t even use the six slots.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, obviously Jasede can't see that tabs are already implemented, but if we keep saying it maybe the message will get through the thick German skull eventually.

TABS ARE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED

Okay. I hope that we can scroll the inventory with the mousewheel, too. Fallout's inventory would have been much less annoying with that feature.

Finally, I hope we can determine the sort order of the items easily. I spent some effort to make sure often-used items were near the top in Fallout. Of course this'll be less of an issue with fewer items and a working mousewheel.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
My glasses are broken, motherfucker. I can't see tabs on the latest shots on page 32.

Anyway, good. That's a relief. Now, mousewheel-scrolling.

VenomByte

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Jasede said:
Actually, he kinda is.

I seem to recall Beth picked up quite a bit of flak for only half a dozen items at a time being visible in Oblivion... but presumably we're not going to be carrying around the equivalent of half the contents of Cyrodiil with us in AoD, so it may work out fine.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I seem to recall Beth picked up quite a bit of flak for only half a dozen items at a time being visible in Oblivion... but presumably we're not going to be carrying around the equivalent of half the contents of Cyrodiil with us in AoD, so it may work out fine.

That´s right. Somewhere in this thread VD posted his middle game inventory and there weren´t a lot of items.

One Wolf

Scholar
enable mousewheel, and i'll be happy. i am also in favor of the large icons, i think the artwork looks pretty good.

even in FO i would have been fine if it allowed mousewheel. and if moving items around your party wasn't so god damn annoying. no party in AoD, so mousewheel would do just fine.

jefklak

Scholar
Ismaul said:
Sure, the weapons boxes in my edit are wrong. Clarity is essential. But my idea there was mainly about the icons and the marble.

There is two options to fix the contrast issue, really. Either bring back the weapon boxes' background to what is was originally, i.e. make it lighter, or make the text white.

EDIT: Here's a quick edit with a lighter background
mainguireduxlightgamewh2.jpg

wow that's nice!
just needed to say that :)

denizsi

Arcane
I also love Ismaul's edit. Kind of embarassing that no one came up with that idea before.

Why are the item icons so enormous? I can feel the carpal tunnel coming on as we speak from having to click the scroll bars so many times just to navigate through a couple items. Unfortunately, I'm assuming nothing can be done about that at this point...

Just for the record: Castanova isn't my alt. I don't have any alts. As for your question, I thought the answer might be about compensating penis size with icons for some Codexers.

One Wolf

Scholar
excellent work with your most recent screen ismaul. looks great.

VD, would you consider making a folder on your ftp/IT studios website for quick comparison between all these user generated screens? it would be nice to bring up the old screenies and sort elhoim's/ismaul's by date. then again, i am pretty damn lazy.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Soon I will open up a thread with all my screens and a small surprise ;)

Also I will try to do a gif with the evolution of my main GUI. :)

Elhoim said:
Soon I will open up a thread with all my screens and a small surprise ;)

Also I will try to do a gif with the evolution of my main GUI. :)
Aww, I was going to do that. Never mind that, I'm really looking forward to it. You have truly shown your self capable.

Edit: I meant capable of doing the interface, not the gif. :lol:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Maybe you can do the evolution of the other screenies (android, etc.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom