Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prey 2 by Arkane - not cancelled after all?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This is for once, exactly one of the things that gaming journalism SHOULD do. Uncovering the truth instead of cheering up bullshit.

:lol:

Teh truthz!

Of course they're denying it right now because the project is in early stages of development. Talking about it at this point when things are still changing on a daily basis would backfire on Bethesda/Arkane. Perhaps they end up not even naming it Prey 2.
Keeping things under wraps is standard modus operandi for every firm. And for good reasons.

The press should rather be concerned about getting it's own shit together first before shit-smearing publishers. Like, reaching a certain minimum quality standard of journalistic integrity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's what may have happened. Bethesda have some sort of legal obligation to continue working on a project called "Prey 2". However, the project is NOT actually Prey 2 and will be renamed as soon as they're allowed to.

They don't want the public to know because it would cause unnecessary brand confusion.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They could have a million reasons. Why I should care when the game is years away is beyond me. John Walker and the rest are just being pissy because they were lied to and called a dirty name. Consumers shouldn't give two shits.

I like the Kotaku writer acting in the comments like this is some Watergate shit. "Stand up for your rights!" Fucking twat.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Here's what may have happened. Bethesda have some sort of legal obligation to continue working on a project called "Prey 2". However, the project is NOT actually Prey 2 and will be renamed as soon as they're allowed to.

They don't want the public to know because it would cause unnecessary brand confusion.

Yes, doesn't matter shit.

That's still a trip in the right direction. Journalists are exactly obligated to bring actual information out in to the public that they receive.

My main problem with gaming journalism is exactly the lack of research (when they make shit up) or/and ass-licking (including defending some questionable stuff) that constantly happens.

I give zero shits if the cause was butthurt.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
“It probably doesn’t help me to define that any further. The reason that it got delayed the way it did is because it was not hitting the quality bar that it was supposed to and needed to. That was ultimately the problem. It had nothing to do with what it was trying to do. It just didn’t hit the quality bar. It’s kind of like Wolfenstein, which is getting delayed to next year because it’s showing promise, but it needs more time and polish to hit the quality bar we expect. Prey 2 is not the first time that we’ve moved something because of that. It’s gonna come down to quality.”

So where and when did Pete actually find this 'quality bar'? Was it next to a classy nightclub? Hiding in a tool shed with the other crowbars? Did he drop something in his bedroom and found it under his bed? I simply don't understand this statement.

And yeah, right. Spiritual sequal to SS3, so this is a sequal to Bioshock, B2 and Infinate? How exciting.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
“It probably doesn’t help me to define that any further. The reason that it got delayed the way it did is because it was not hitting the quality bar that it was supposed to and needed to. That was ultimately the problem. It had nothing to do with what it was trying to do. It just didn’t hit the quality bar. It’s kind of like Wolfenstein, which is getting delayed to next year because it’s showing promise, but it needs more time and polish to hit the quality bar we expect. Prey 2 is not the first time that we’ve moved something because of that. It’s gonna come down to quality.”

So where and when did Pete actually find this 'quality bar'? Was it next to a classy nightclub? Hiding in a tool shed with the other crowbars? Did he drop something in his bedroom and found it under his bed? I simply don't understand this statement.

And yeah, right. Spiritual sequal to SS3, so this is a sequal to Bioshock, B2 and Infinate? How exciting.

Made by Arkane though, so it could be as good as it can without upsetting the console peasants.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arkane proved themselves commercially with Dishonored, so there's a chance they'll be allowed to go in more monocled directions with their upcoming games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Arkane proved themselves commercially with Dishonored, so there's a chance they'll be allowed to go in more monocled directions with their upcoming games.
:hearnoevil:

Ahem. There's also a chance, of course, that having created a successful franchise and gotten a foothold in the market, they'll now be forced to dumb it down to make it even more appealing to the masses, much like what happened to Dead Space.

It doesn't seem like they want to do that, though. We'll see.

DeepOcean

Arcane
:hearnoevil:

Ahem. There's also a chance, of course, that having created a successful franchise and gotten a foothold in the market, they'll now be forced to dumb it down to make it even more appealing to the masses, much like what happened to Dead Space.

It doesn't seem like they want to do that, though. We'll see.
Actually, I think is the inverse. Dead Space series never sold as much as EA hoped ( to be fair, EA sales expectations come close to sheer lunacy many times).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I think is the inverse. Dead Space series never sold as much as EA hoped ( to be fair, EA sales expectations come close to sheer lunacy many times).

True, but I doubt Dishonored sold "enough" either. It just sold well enough to make it a franchise and keep going. If they want it to reach Skyrim numbers they'll have to make it appeal to more people.

The DLC is harder than the main game though, so who knows.

DeepOcean

Arcane

True, but I doubt Dishonored sold "enough" either. It just sold well enough to make it a franchise and keep going. If they want it to reach Skyrim numbers they'll have to make it appeal to more people.

The DLC is harder than the main game though, so who knows.
It wasn't Peter Hines that said that the game sold well above Bethesda expectations and he was talking about turning it on a franchise, only 2 weeks after the release? Such enthusiasm for a game that barely sold enough ? If the rumour is true, it means that Bethesda trust Arkane as they are working in two titles and have two studios and I don't think they would get that trust if Dishonored didn't sold very well. There are only two possibilities: Bethesda expected the game to sell like crap (You just need to look to the aborted shovelware Bethesda released through out the years to see what Bethesda does when it suspects a game isn't going to sell and Dishonored is too polished, what indicates a decent sized budget and bigger expectations from bethesda part) or the game sold really well for a new franchise . Is it possible to dumb down Dishonored even more? The worst case scenario we will get Dishonored 1 with bigger maps and more shinny.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It wasn't Peter Hines that said that the game sold well above Bethesda expectations and he was talking about turning it on a franchise, only 2 weeks after the release? Such enthusiasm for a game that barely sold enough ? If the rumour is true, it means that Bethesda trust Arkane as they are working in two titles and have two studios and I don't think they would get that trust if Dishonored didn't sold very well. There are only two possibilities: Bethesda expected the game to sell like crap (You just need to look to the aborted shovelware Bethesda released through out the years to see what Bethesda does when it suspects a game isn't going to sell and Dishonored is too polished, what indicates a decent sized budget and bigger expectations from bethesda part) or the game sold really well for a new franchise . Is it possible to dumb down Dishonored even more? The worst case scenario we will get Dishonored 1 with bigger maps and more shinny.

It was more than 2 weeks, and he specifically mentioned the first 50% off Steam sale. Saying it sold well and is a franchise now doesn't mean they don't want it to sell more. I don't know why you have that impression. I don't really know what they'll do but usually companies want more profit, not less or the same.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Cynical though, I'm just saying what my experience in this shit tells me.

DeepOcean

Arcane

It was more than 2 weeks, and he specifically mentioned the first 50% off Steam sale. Saying it sold well and is a franchise now doesn't mean they don't want it to sell more. I don't know why you have that impression. I don't really know what they'll do but usually companies want more profit, not less or the same.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Cynical though, I'm just saying what my experience in this shit tells me.
Relax, I'm just bored and speculating shit . There is always the possibility for Bethesda going full retard cinematic, emotional engaging like Thiaf 4 but Arkane and Bethesda aren't as clueless as those french and jap faggots in Square Enix, but if a tragedy happens and Thiaf 4 sells more than Dishonored, we are in deep shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Relax, I'm just bored and speculating shit . There is always the possibility for Bethesda going full retard cinematic, emotional engaging like Thiaf 4 but Arkane and Bethesda aren't as clueless as those french and jap faggots in Square Enix, but if a tragedy happens and Thiaf 4 sells more than Dishonored, we are in deep shit.

Yeah I mean, I really don't know. As much shit as Skyrim gets around here it was a hell of a lot better than Oblivion, and sold more, so... yeah. We shall see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/08/sy...comments-on-arkanes-spiritual-successor-plans
System Shock 2′s project manager comments on Arkane’s ‘spiritual successor’ plans
17 Aug 2013 by Peter Parrish

system-shock-2-3-1024x576.jpg

Can you wrench yourself away?

You may have seen in Thursday’s news that Arkane does, in fact, appear to have taken over development of the Prey 2 project for Bethesda. In addition, the plan is now a full reboot with the inspiration being “the spiritual successor to System Shock 2.”

As luck would have it, IncGamers was speaking to two former developers from the originalSystem Shock 2 on that very day; so we asked for their early reactions.

Jon Chey held a number of roles, but was primarily System Shock 2′s overall project manager and the man responsible for AI behaviour (as well as the day-to-day running of the fledgling Irrational Games.) Dorian Hart, meanwhile, was “the numbers guy,” in charge of gameplay and economy balancing, damage stats and the like. He also built some of the game’s levels.

Here’s Jon Chey’s response to the news.

Peter [Parrish]: I was wondering … there’s actually some System Shock 2 related news that has emerged today. Arkane, who made Dishonored, are now taking over the development of Prey 2 and they’ve said they’re aiming to make that the ‘spiritual successor’ to System Shock 2.

Jon [Chey]: Oh really? Wow. Interesting.

Peter: I don’t know how you feel about that?

Jon: It’s, um … Prey 2 by my understanding was … I don’t know a lot about that project but it seemed like it was pretty far advanced. I haven’t been following exactly what’s been going on with it, but yeah that’s interesting because obviouslyBioShock games are spiritual successors to System Shock 2 in many senses. But then I think there are other aspects of System Shock that, because it is such a multi-faceted game, the BioShock games have mostly run with the narrative side of it. The gameplay side of it they’ve sort of veered off into a different direction, a more classic action direction. So it’d be interesting to see if somebody would pick up the … I don’t know what they mean by that, if they’re intending to spiritually succeed it in terms of its atmosphere or its narrative or gameplay, or …

Peter: I’m not sure. It’s a lone email that says their pitch for Prey 2 was “spiritual successor to System Shock 2.” I mean obviously … I don’t know if either of you guys played Dishonored, but they pretty heavily influenced by aspects of the Thief series.

Jon: Well I mean, Harvey Smith worked on Deus Ex, so that came out at a very similar time and has a lot of similar ideas to System Shock and so that’s … I’m not surprised that they’re working in that area.

And I think System Shock 2’s one of those games where it probably didn’t spawn a whole host of similar games. There wasn’t an obviously gold mine to be dug there. But on the other hand I think it certain has influenced a lot of other … like Portalgames, for example. They’re different games but they have the rogue AI which is taunting you, interacting with you and guiding you through …

Dorian [Hart]: … a strange, science fiction environment.

Jon: So a lot of different games have picked up a lot of different bits and pieces, which of course is true of the games industry in general. It always feeds off itself. But yeah, I’d love to see more people try to pick up the legacy and do things with it.

I’m very tempted to try to do something like that myself. There are a lot of interesting things that could be explored, perhaps focusing more on the sort of stuff we were talking about earlier, the angst-driven resource scarcity and fear aspects of the game.

The full audio and transcript will be up later in the week on IncGamers.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, if anything, at least I'd trust Arkane more with a System Shock spiritual successor than a Thief one, considering that pretty much all they'd need to do is take Arx Fatalis, port it into a sci-fi setting and add more horror.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
It's a fucking video game. Why are these press sneak fucks so butthurt that they didn't know it was being developed 2 years in advance - Oh right, so they can't get page views by posting every single new screenshot and relevant sentence as an individual article. Perfectly within the rights of the devs and pubs to keep a lid on any project they're working on.

Press sneak fucks.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Who knows, one day maybe, Arkane may develop a press fuck sneaker. A sub-genre where you assume the role of a press-fuck, sneaking through a myriad of obstacles until you reach your target [game developer] to disable his sanity by bombarding him with outrageously inane questions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom