Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

ciox

Liturgist
Finally got around to getting the gold pistol and it's nice, max firepower with the normal pistol is 15, with the gold pistol it's 19. Have a hunch the gold pistol was intended to be another DLC exclusive and they wised up at the last second and added this tiny bit of "itemization".

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Finally got around to getting the gold pistol and it's nice, max firepower with the normal pistol is 15, with the gold pistol it's 19. Have a hunch the gold pistol was intended to be another DLC exclusive and they wised up at the last second and added this tiny bit of "itemization".

Actually I think the fancy shotgun was meant to be a quest upgrade like the golden pistol but they needed to scramble pre-order incentives at the last minute.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Emotionally... engaging? No backtracking at all?
I didn't post or even suggest either things.

You are out of arguments and it's just pathetic. Now you are making up strawmen just to have anything to post. Pathetic. You should be ashamed to argue like this on the Codex.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
How well-optimized is this game? My rig meets the reported minimum requirements just fine but is below recommended specs. Just wondering whether it'll be a diashow.

The game definitely seems good enough to deserve a shot in any case, but they really should've released that demo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Emotionally... engaging? No backtracking at all?
I didn't post or even suggest either things.

The game takes three seconds to load an area on PC and at least in my version of the game backtracking was minimal

emotionally engaging was an obvious joke, but if you are saying with a straight face that the backtracking in the endgame is MINIMAL at:

(when leaving derp storage) cargo bay -> life support -> bottom of power plant -> [optional if going for side quest completion: life support -> lobby; talos exterior if straight to main quest] -> arboretum -> [optional side quest: crew quarters -> arboretum] -> [optional side quest completion: lobby; otherwise talos exterior] -> [I assume back to bottom of power plant because my game crashed before i could meet with alex in his office]

then you are DELUSIONAL

darthaegis

Cipher
With a GTX 660ti I managed to get Texture Quality on medium (and maybe some other stuff) and get a not-very-stable 60fps on 1080p.

Israfael

Arcane
It's like Dishonored 1 - should run on any PC that supports the APIs it uses (DirectX11)

I got both the wedding ring and something else for the NPCs in the cargo bay while i was scrounging through the living quarters, so it's strange to hear that you need to backtrack for that. Also, it's like 1 1/2 loading screen - Cargo bay - outer space - arboretum.

ciox

Liturgist

Actually I think the fancy shotgun was meant to be a quest upgrade like the golden pistol but they needed to scramble pre-order incentives at the last minute.

It's possible, but "two gold guns with extra damage and some other shit" is exactly what Bioshock Infinite had as a preorder bonus so it fits into that mold perfectly. Real quest upgrades would have been stuff you really can't get otherwise, like a shotgun that fires faster or something.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I got both the wedding ring and something else for the NPCs in the cargo bay while i was scrounging through the living quarters, so it's strange to hear that you need to backtrack for that. Also, it's like 1 1/2 loading screen - Cargo bay - outer space - arboretum.
It might be the spawning is time sensitive, I did spend time exploring all open lifesupport/cargo area before going to crew quarters.

It's possible, but "two gold guns with extra damage and some other shit" is exactly what Bioshock Infinite had as a preorder bonus so it fits into that mold perfectly. Real quest upgrades would have been stuff you really can't get otherwise, like a shotgun that fires faster or something.
Yeah tho stuff being cut would fit the rest going on with this game :M

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's like Dishonored 1 - should run on any PC that supports the APIs it uses (DirectX11)

I went through all of crew quarters when I was there the first time, and the phantom with the ring wasn't there. And there's no way whatsoever that I could have missed it because it spawned right outside the Yu exec suites when I went there again.

Also, it's not cargo bay -> outer space, because the outer space is locked out before you reset the reactor core. So it's at least cargo bay -> life support -> reactor core -> outer space -> arboretum. And if you want to go back to Ilyushina with the recording of her father (a middle aged guy), you also have to take a detour again through life support and lobby after reactor core.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Wow maybe I was wrong about this game; when its on sale for 95% off I might play it!

DAoI-uKXYAAUiEO.jpg:large

Parabalus

Arcane
Managed to recycle my full upgraded shotgun by mistake so I used my spare neuromods to switch classes to mage.

Shit's hilarious, just swap between powers and kill them boom boom boom.

I already did the Psi water quest, stuff is unbalanced. If you had to use PSI hypos it'd make sense, but this way you just spam everything on cooldown since there is water every other step.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Just finished it. Cool game overall and the immersive sim parts are definite incline. It kind of doesn't have enough real content if you play the game very thoroughly. It'll take you 30-40 hours or more if you explore everything and do all the side quests, but you'll have encountered every enemy and item that exists in the game several times over by the halfway point. Certain mechanics don't help this; neuromods and weapon upgrades translating into generic 'upgrade points' instead of a Deus Ex style aug canister system guarantees that the more of them you find, the less interesting they are to find.

Weapon upgrade system could use work, too. Upgrades that improve ammo efficiency are no-brainers whereas stuff like recoil reduction is pure convenience; I never had trouble hitting anything even without any upgrades for it. Nitpicky but a lot of the upgrades make no sense. How do you upgrade reload speed by changing the weapon? If you were going to reload faster it'd be from learning to operate the gun more efficiently, which seems like it should be a neuromod thing. Neuromods themselves have a similar problem. They're supposed to be like knowledge packages that grant you the skills of someone else but how the hell do neuromods then allow you to do things like pick up heavy objects? They make you believe you can pick them up, and then you can? Maybe this was explained at some point but if it was I missed it.

Finally the game is too easy. I avoided Nightmare 'cuz I heard it was sort of bullshit-y. "Enemies do more damage, you do less!" Bah. Settled on Hard, ended with huge stacks of everything despite intentionally avoiding Typhon powers and the more overpowered-seeming upgrades. (Medkit effect tripled, food effect doubled, slow time in combat) I wish combat were less frequent, particularly late game, but far more costly.

Ending was cool. Obviously made to be a potential sequel hook but who knows if we'll get one. Seeming premise of the sequel [based off the ending] looks more interesting than this game.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game isn't spooky at all

I'm still pretty near the beginning, when very fast-moving dark things lurk around corners, flicker into and out of existence, and camouflage themselves as furniture.

Fast, spindly shadowy things in darkness are very specifically one of the few things that can truly creep me out. I'm sure once I'm used to them and the new shine wears off, I won't care at all.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah it really is too easy, I ended up playing on nightmare but it was still a cakewalk. Mostly because overabundance of resources. You dont need med/repairkits when theres an operator on every corner, and you can pause midcombat to eat 24 bananas.

Also aforementioned water supply quest, I finished the game with over 100 psi hypos, over 50 medkits and God knows how many spare repair kits.

rezaf

Cipher
Yeah it really is too easy, I ended up playing on nightmare but it was still a cakewalk. Mostly because overabundance of resources. You dont need med/repairkits when theres an operator on every corner, and you can pause midcombat to eat 24 bananas.

Also aforementioned water supply quest, I finished the game with over 100 psi hypos, over 50 medkits and God knows how many spare repair kits.

In a way, I get your point, but I also feel when developers design their game to cater such opinions, it's the worst thing that can possibly happen.
I'm totally in favor of having a survival mode for you guys where all neuromod costs are tenfold their base price, the pistol does 1 damage and the shotgun 2 (not upgradeable), healthkits heal 5 damage (over 60 seconds) and food doesn't heal at all, being in the inventory doesn't pause, your walking and runnin speeds are halved and enemies respawn every 60 seconds and so on and so forth. Hopefully that'll make the game better for you.

But in an ordinary difficulty mode, if you use like every method in the game probably meant to make it easier for people struggling with it and then complain it's too easy, the joke's kinda on you.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I am already playing at max difficulty what am I supposed to do, take roleplaying tips? I really don't like this whole self-restriction thing to make game hard, it shouldn't be my responsability.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I am already playing at max difficulty what am I supposed to do, take roleplaying tips? I really don't like this whole self-restriction thing to make game hard, it shouldn't be my responsability.
I think the game might be hard if you played on nightmare, and never upgraded any guns or got any of the op psi powers (like psychoshock). Also, probably would have to restrict your wrench usage, cause it's op.

But you really shouldn't have to restrict yourself to have a challenge on the hardest difficulty. It also goes to show how massively bad all game journos are, saying game is too hard.

Jinn

Arcane
Any chance of someone making a mod to tweak the difficulty of this game in the future? Sounds like there are major problems with the difficulty which seems like it would ruin the tension the whole game is built upon. Besides that, I'm actually surprised at how decent this game sounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom