Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

rezaf

Cipher
you realised only at the end that the stun gun, which is meant to be the anti-bot weapon, and which you get right at the very start, might be useful againts operators?

None of the crappy ops you encountered up to that point required you to have a dedicated anti-bot weapon at hand. I stashed my stungun somewhere after stunning all the possessed humans ... was it in the cafeteria? Had to run back and fetch it for the bots.
Anyway, players for whom you'd have even worse news - namely those who fail to think of the stungun at all - will have a much, much harder time dealing with 'em military operators.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, you could always-

* Fabricate a new stun gun and new upgrade kits
* Block the operator dispensers
* Disable the tracking and sneak past them
* Use an offensive power to destroy them, or disable/control them with the other powers
* Run past them using the run talent

ciox

Liturgist
In my run I just found the Beam Shielding chipset as my first chipset, roughly 35 hours before I had any idea what it was for, it cuts down military operator damage so much that I could kill them any way I wanted.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Actually you are supposed to know about the impending bot invasion for quite a while (blackbox project quest explains what you will encounter, also Alex says several times that restarting power and removing him from the control would send a signal to Earth (or other TranStar controlled object, don't remember) and the board would do anything to clean up the situation)
Pretty sure blackbox project is about fitting them with qbeams though, but it does explain their existence.

In my run I just found the Beam Shielding chipset as my first chipset, roughly 35 hours before I had any idea what it was for, it cuts down military operator damage so much that I could kill them any way I wanted.
I missed that one, but lategame PC is so op anyway (and has so much surplus supplies) it doesn't matter

ciox

Liturgist
Actually you are supposed to know about the impending bot invasion for quite a while (blackbox project quest explains what you will encounter, also Alex says several times that restarting power and removing him from the control would send a signal to Earth (or other TranStar controlled object, don't remember) and the board would do anything to clean up the situation)
Pretty sure blackbox project is about fitting them with qbeams though, but it does explain their existence.

I missed that one, but lategame PC is so op anyway (and has so much surplus supplies) it doesn't matter

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't have any melee neuromods at all, but a charged up melee attack on a military operator would knock it down and stun it for 3-4 seconds, every time.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

This game is a massive pile of shit. And they had the fucking balls to drag Looking Glass into their shitty game on top of that. Christ what an insult. The pretentious cunts at Arkane are not fit to lick Paul Neurath's boots nor breathe the same oxygen as the powerhouse developers that made up the real Looking Glass Studios.. Go fuck yourselves Arkane employees. You are ZeniMax's low rent bitches and will forever be in the shadow of the illustrious Looking Glass.

He complains about the game before actually playing it.

He complains about Harvey Smith but that guy did not work on this game.

His e-persona indicates he is a poseur but now he provided the proof that he is actually an intellectual poseur as well.

That stuff is bizzare, as he actually defended Mankind Divided even early on, when it was slaughtered by user reviews on steam and it was popular to criticize it among journalists.
It is as if he has this quote of autistic hate that he feels obliged to fullfil, and yet he is unable to accurately predict how that same audience he's trying to pander to will feel about particular game. It happened before too, with games like Dark Souls, on which he onloaded that same barrage of hate that he previously reserved for typical AAA targets or crap like Thief reboot. Folks who were on his channel due to his praise for old PC games and criticism of modern AAA gaming were obviously less than impressed with his argumentation.
This really reveals his stuff as dishonest pretend act.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This game seems to be getting a ton of flak for deceiving people with the name Prey. Not sure why anybody gives a shit since Prey wasn't even that great, but good job fucking this shit up, Bethesda.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I didn't that much of it, to be honest. What I saw is indeed curious, as original Prey was just another one of Half Life 2 imitators that was quickly forgotten after its initial release. Not the sort of game that you'd expect to command a devoted fanbase...

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was saying, the game's name should literally be PsychoShock or NeuroShock, something like that. I heard they originally wanted to call it Typhon, though.

Bethesda had bought the rights to publish Prey/Prey 2 and wanted to cuck Humanhead Studios into being bought out by cutting their pay and trying to make them fall in line, Humanhead told them to fuck off and Bethesda fired them. Bethesda then tried to find someone else to finish Prey 2 (they asked Obsidian IIRC) but they didn't have the copyrights for the tech/engine/tools Humanhead were using so they had to scrap the project entirely.

Then Bethesda got pitched a "System Shock 2 spiritual successor" by Arkane and instead of letting them go with their name they slapped the Prey name on it just to spite Humanhead for not being cucks.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
you realised only at the end that the stun gun, which is meant to be the anti-bot weapon, and which you get right at the very start, might be useful againts operators?

i have bad news for you son
he got 99 problems but too many brain cells ain't one

Parabalus

Arcane
For a cool easter egg use phantom shift and scan your mimic with the psychoscope :positive:.

Unsure how much of the game I have left but at this rate I'll end up unlocking every single ability. Kinda pointless but still hilarious.

Latelistener

Arcane
I was saying, the game's name should literally be PsychoShock or NeuroShock, something like that. I heard they originally wanted to call it Typhon, though.

Bethesda had bought the rights to publish Prey/Prey 2 and wanted to cuck Humanhead Studios into being bought out by cutting their pay and trying to make them fall in line, Humanhead told them to fuck off and Bethesda fired them. Bethesda then tried to find someone else to finish Prey 2 (they asked Obsidian IIRC) but they didn't have the copyrights for the tech/engine/tools Humanhead were using so they had to scrap the project entirely.

Then Bethesda got pitched a "System Shock 2 spiritual successor" by Arkane and instead of letting them go with their name they slapped the Prey name on it just to spite Humanhead for not being cucks.
Bethesda probably just became overconfident, since they did that cuckold scheme before, and did not expect that Human Head will say no.
In the end, they lost time, money, the project itself, they weren't able to buy Human Head, and if that is not enough, the story went public. They are the real cucks in this story.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Finished it, little over 30 hours for a completionist playthrough.

Pretty satisfied with the experience, but it's nowhere near as good as SS2 for me.

There's very little actual content beyond the station itself, and most of your time is spent navigating it.

Was surprised with the how abrupt the ending was, without much payoff... Then I stuck around for the post credits and oh fuck, I didn't expect that at all, good going arkane.

Curious how they go on from here.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Assuming that Human Head's side of the story is at all true...
Knowing Zenimax, it sure as fuck is.
We lack anything approaching hard proof for either claim, so people are basically choosing sides based on their feelings on Bethesda/Zenimax. Personalty, I give some credence to their side of the story, as Human Head never really delivered a game of Prey 2's intended scale.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Except the thing with Bethesda is basically the same as with muslims in terror attacks. You can always assume outright that they are responsible and you will always be right.

Bethesda probably just became overconfident, since they did that cuckold scheme before, and did not expect that Human Head will say no.
In the end, they lost time, money, the project itself, they weren't able to buy Human Head, and if that is not enough, the story went public. They are the real cucks in this story.

And you just know that every pitch and every game from Human Head will have 'from the developers of Prey' written in giant letters :)

Latelistener

Arcane
Human Head never really delivered a game of Prey 2's intended scale.
Pete is that you?
It's either the game wasn't shitty, or it was, and Zenithesda are fabulous dumbfucks for funding it for 3+ years, practically until the last stages of development.
Moreover, if it was shitty, why Bethesda still wanted to publish it, and gave it to Obsidian to finish?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Human Head never really delivered a game of Prey 2's intended scale.
Pete is that you?
It's either the game wasn't shitty, or it was, and Zenithesda are fabulous dumbfucks for funding it for 3+ years, practically until the last stages of development.
Moreover, if it was shitty, why Bethesda still wanted to publish it, and gave it to Obsidian to finish?

Between this and Arkane's Prey ... I think I will go with Arkane.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That is another thing I don't understand. Human Head's Prey 2 would've been much closer to the current AAA trends than Arkane's Prey is. So, people would rather have a cinematic combo of Stranger's Wrath and Mirrors Edge than a spiritual successor to System Shock, one that is gameplay-wise much more worthy than Bioshock was.
It's just psychology, looks like. People always want that which they don't have.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i have yet to see one person saying he'd rather have a sequel to the original prey than this one

plz share some of your hallucinogenics bubbles

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That is the implication of folks not shutting up about it, rat-face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom