Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Consoles have no advantages over PC [...]

Consoles have a huge advantage for developers though, as it allows them to develop within scope and optimize their engines for a static set of hardware specs. I don't want to go back to the days where you are forced to buy a new graphics card every year and get a mish-mash of shitty broken unoptimized games aiming for an impossibly wide range of hardware specs.

I know we get a lot of broken shit today too, mostly due to the long transition it takes from legacy engines to modern game engines, but it's much less severe than it was in the late 90s and early 2000s.

So consoles serve as a stabilizer for the industry, although as a consumer I have no interest in them.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I don't get this game. They add in a body you can see when you look down, but they don't make female Morgans breasts viewable, or male Morgans crotch. What's even the point then? And besides, what type of person completely bends over to look downwards to the point that all they can see when looking down are their legs?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get this game. They add in a body you can see when you look down, but they don't make female Morgans breasts viewable, or male Morgans crotch. What's even the point then? And besides, what type of person completely bends over to look downwards to the point that all they can see when looking down are their legs?
im ,so fat i cant see down my legs

Artyoan

Arbiter
I enjoyed this game a lot. I do agree with some of the criticism though.

Enemy variety was fairly weak and the Nightmare was never a real threat no matter where it came at me. Mimics were cool and a great starter enemy to create tension but the psychogoggles undermined them later on. I played on Hard and died several times very early on, it started to balance out pretty quickly and then was way too easy in the last half of the game. By the end I could just psychoshock something and two shotgun blasts would kill it. The psi powers were probably too powerful or perhaps the psi resource should have been handled differently. The ending 'revelation' was fine with me but the lack of detail about the fate of all the people and the station was frustrating.

I would have preferred that they lower the effectiveness of the pistol and shotgun or even remove them entirely. Put more emphasis on subduing different typhon with the special guns or psi powers and then beating them in melee with customized weapons or with throwing levitated objects. They seemed to want to go this way but only halfheartedly.

The zero gravity sections were some of the most impressive for the sake of tension and atmosphere but were also the worst when it came to combat. Platforming also seemed hit and miss since I would often not climb up a Gloo ball or ledge when I should have.

Still, this games strengths outweighed its weaknesses. I'll be disappointed if its considered a flop.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I would trade one Paradox strategy for all of the console exclusives, especially the ones that involve shooting, dodging, rolling and cinematic.
It's actually overpriced, and many games look and work like shit. You can buy a better PC for around $300 (G4560, 1050Ti, 8GB). Basically, a console killer build.
Mods make games better, but they aren't required. Console peasants would gladly accept modding, but they can't since their masters won't allow that.
Sure, PC doesn't have fighting games (Tekken, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, etc.), platformers (Steam is drowning in those), racing games (rFactor, Assetto Corsa, PCars, SimBin games, Forza, Codemasters games, etc.), offline co-op (surely, you won't be able to attach two gamepads to PC?).

Consoles have no advantages over PC, unless you can admit that you are a retard, and PC is too complicated for you. That's the only thing I can't argue with.
That paradox strategy game will cost more than any console...

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Who the fuck buys a PC and constantly maintains peak performance solely to play garbage modern games on max settings?
Even if you are interested in only a handful of AAA games, like Dishonored 2 last year and Prey this year, you will have to upgrade on regular basis... Neither game can be enjoyed in its full glory with 5-6 year old machine, let alone one that was never high end like you guys claim.

Consoles... Today they're a fools game.... and most games on them these days are pure shit.
Bro, you're delusional. PS4 is raping everything right now and that includes PC.

Ie:

I can play Dark Souls 3 on my PS4.

Can you play Bloodborne and Nioh on your PC ?

:smug:
Or Horizon... If you check individual thread for any of those games, you will see that they are though of highly even on this forum.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Is hardcore/survival patch in plans? Should I wait for it or just play already?

Latelistener

Arcane
Consoles have a huge advantage for developers though, as it allows them to develop within scope and optimize their engines for a static set of hardware specs. I don't want to go back to the days where you are forced to buy a new graphics card every year and get a mish-mash of shitty broken unoptimized games aiming for an impossibly wide range of hardware specs.

I know we get a lot of broken shit today too, mostly due to the long transition it takes from legacy engines to modern game engines, but it's much less severe than it was in the late 90s and early 2000s.

So consoles serve as a stabilizer for the industry, although as a consumer I have no interest in them.
Just open Steam, check what is the most popular hardware currently (4/4 or 4/8, 8gb RAM, GTX 970 / GTX 1060, 4-8 gb VRAM), and then make your games accordingly.
But graphics also have to be scalable, which means more settings for people with shitty configs, as well as some juice for enthusiastic hardware.
And most importantly, visuals should be worth the requirements.
Did I mention consoles? Nope.

That paradox strategy game will cost more than any console...
...and it still would be worth it. :salute:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
im ,so fat i cant see down my legs
Im sure we could see your cock if you bent over as much as morgan does.

Hines

Savant
Someone's released a hardcore mod for Prey that enables a number of cut features, including survival traumas and the ability to turn off the HUD, but the author still hasn't been able to get Oxygen or weapon degradation working yet. Worth checking out.

http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/1/?

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That is going to be great, guy's one of the finest gaming commentators on YT.

This is worth watching too, in connection with his Prey video:

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
Noah Caldwell-Gervais (talking about Prey 2017) said:
Gun variety is phenomenal

f21553d8d6669bbeadcbae4f6ef9e53ea96453052a410cde3623a7a561724e3e.jpg

Nirvash

Liturgist
Is like they stopped developing in the middle.

Shotgun and pistol, but no rifles? scifi weapon upgrade line just for dumb laser and foam? Even the esper stuff is just "more grenades" and/or cheap cc.

All the monsters are the same elemental swamp slimeshit or toasters?

No final, mid or even actual mini-bosses? Combat is repetitive/easy as fuck and nearly always 1vs1.
You can easy kill nearly everything in nightmare by stungun+shotgun, toss a emp/rec for the others.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it was also an unfinished piece of shit with a dumb spellcasting mechanic hardly anybody uses for a reason.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Finally finished it. 37 hours with thorough exploration and trying to do as much as I could. Enjoyed it for the most part. Not perfect, but I appreciate the attempt to replicate SS2 and they were a lot more faithful than most.

Did lose a bit of steam after the power plant for me, when you've pretty much explored the whole station. My main complaints are that it could use a lot more enemy variety for sure and maybe weapon variety, although I did find it satisfying that each weapon that the game does feature had its own particular use. Also, the early game was perfect in its difficulty (played on hard) and I loved how tough enemies like technopaths were, at least early on when I had a legit hard time with most enemy types. However, as usual, you got godlike powerful as you progressed through the game.

The nightmare is also a great idea. Would be excellent if you couldn't cheese it so easily, but when I fought it I always tried to avoid doing that (never left the area I was in for example). Also loved the idea of having consequences for installing the alien powers (like turrets targeting you), but ultimately I thought there should have been more consequences for going along the powers path.

Also, from what I'm hearing it had a bunch of cut content like a repair system that I would have loved to have experienced in the game.

Overall, can definitely say I liked it though. For sure better than I expected this game to be, since I didn't care about it one bit and was not following its development or anything, so this was a pleasant surprise. GOTY so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

You are Morgan Yu, the subject of morally dubious experiments designed to improve the human race. You awaken aboard the Talos 1 in the year 2032 and must uncover the secrets hiding in the depths of the space station while being hunted by the mysterious alien force that has taken over. You’ll have to rely on the tools you find on the station – along with your wits, weapons and mind-bending abilities – to combat the growing threat and, hopefully, survive. Get your first look at Prey in the cinematic reveal trailer.

More info at QuakeCon.

First of all, don't tell me its shady, imply all that in the secrets of the space station parts. Show that they're dubious and trim the boring exposition, but try and let us make of the experiments what we will. Then, make that the entire plot, drop the aliens, and they've got an interesting premise to explore bigger themes from.

Jezal_k23

Oh yeah also, too many resources throughout the station, which made the game easier than it could've been. Although I also hear complaints that the game is too punishing and that people have NO AMMO and NO MATERIALS all the time, so I don't know.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Hardcore mods:
http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/2/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/1/?

• No Crouch Icon
  • No Flashlight Icon
  • No Enemy Alert / Spotting Yu Gauges
  • No Enemy Markers Over Their Heads (or bodies or whatever... Typhon are weird :P)
  • No Enemy Music Cues When Enemies Are Close
  • No Item Glinting / Glimmering
  • No Stamina or Jet Pack Bars

• Survival Traumas
    Reactivates the previous cut Traumas from the game (Blindness, Bleeding, Burns, Fractures, and Concussions) and increases the types of hazards which can cause these.

Each type of trauma (except "blindness" which is actually vision impairment not total blindness and clears on it's own like being drunk) can be cured with a specific medical cure that you can collect and/or fabricate.

Medical Operators clear ALL conditions and there is a new skill which also allows conditions to be cleared with a standard medical kit.

• Items
    Various new items have been added - a mixture of cut content and new items. Most of these are "junk" to clutter up your inventory.

More standardized inventory limits on stacking. Inventory management is more of a thing now. If you find this frustrating do consider that the game allows you to store anything anywhere and will not delete or remove it. Hint - there are brief cases and other storage containers all over Talos that can be lugged around.

Ammo, weapons, grenades and other useful items have been removed from Typhon as loot drops. You will have to depend on what you scavenge from the environment and more importantly what you fabricate.

Much fo the random useful loot (ammo, hypos, etc) on human bodies has been replaced with fabrication licenses so you will need to construct what you need it survive (or scavenge it from the hand placed items the devs have put around the levels.)

• Fabrication
    Limited licensing has been restored. Now when you pick up a fabrication plan it gives you ONE license to fabricate ONE item. Some costs have been adjusted slightly to use more organic and exotic material which is not used very much in the base game (beyond PSI Hypos and Neuromods)

• Abilities
    Increases the overall skill cost and requirements of upper tier mods. Costs start around 1-2 neuromods more for the bottom tier abilities and ramp up to x2 - x3 for upper tier powers depending on how powerful they are.

Re-activates the previous cut Field Surgeon skill which allows players to heal traumas with normal med kits.

"Nutrition" healing benefit from food drains away faster. Food is less of an effective replacement for medical treatment. Water no longer heals (why would it?!?) and gives much less PSI making it a much less effective replacement for PSI Hypos. If you want to stand around the water cooler all day be my guest
    wink.png

• Enemies
    Typhon get a very slight buff on health. This is very, very minor (around +20%) and does not effect low level Typhon (mimics, cystoids, etc). Mechanicals remain unchanged.

You no longer automatically obtain the mimic detection chip so mimics are more of an ever present and unnerving threat.

• HUD
    Removed crouch and flash light icons from the HUD. Also removed enemy alert and indicator markers as well as most music cues to alert you of enemies. You will need to use good situational awareness and listening to find your enemies.

Items no longer glow, glisten or glitter to draw your attention to them. Besides immersion breaking it's too much hand holding.

Improved the Options Menu to include a HUD toggle which completely turns off ALL HUD elements (warning this is an extremely immersive, but also EXTREMELY difficult way to play)

NOTE - Unfortunately this mod does NOT enable Oxygen use nor weapon degradation. I have been unable to get these features working and am hoping that Arkane releases a future Survival Mode update that will bring these back.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I've played this for about eight hours now at a pretty slow pace (in Psychotronics now). It hasn't quite grabbed me yet as tightly as it probably could've had, for reasons I can't really put my finger on, but Prey certainly does more right than it does wrong.

First of all, I love how smooth the controls are. It's like they actually designed this to be played with mouse and keyboard. I like that it's all in first person with leaning, climbing and all that stuff, even including things like crafting, which is actually done pretty well here. I love the concept of having a space station to explore with no bullshit limitations on where to go next (there are limitations, of course, but you know what I mean). I like that you can pick up, throw and destroy things without having to press some magical object highlighting button to figure out what can be interacted with and what cannot. I like the lethality of the combat on the hardest difficulty level, with even the weakest enemies being able to take out a big chunk of your hit points if you're careless. The gunplay is quite a bit better than I expected, and the guns feel sufficiently different from each other. I'm also enjoying the writing and all these audio logs, even though the plot kind of lost its initial impact after a promising start.

It's not all great, of course. There's a quest compass, which you don't really need but which apparently has to be disabled manually every time you pick up a new quest. Some of the gun models occupy way too much space in the center of the screen, which is really annoying. The level design is pretty good, but so far there haven't been that many ways to get around an obstacle, just the usual "hack door / find a keycard / get past the door through a vent" stuff. There are some short but completely unnecessary first-person cutscenes. I wish time didn't stop when you enter your inventory or the map screen. Mimics are pretty neat enemies when used in moderation, but I feel the game lacks a "cannon fodder" enemy type that would drain your resources while still being fun to fight. In general there could be a couple of more enemy types and maybe an additional firearm or two. Sometimes enemy health bars and names also appear on the screen before you can even see said enemies, which is inexcusable and hopefully gets patched out at some point. The survival mechanics could've been (and hopefully will be) expanded upon quite a lot.

All in all, it's a good game. I still haven't played Dishonored or its sequel, so I don't know how Prey compares to those, but I'd classify it as moderate incline nonetheless — it's much less compromising than the new "Deus Ex" games, for instance, and on a completely different planet compared to something like Bioshock. Perhaps it's just missing that one particular thing that would really make it stand out, because Prey does most things well but isn't exceptionally good on any single area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom