Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Ash

Arcane
Better than Bioshock at least/good for what it is. It's worth 15 Euros.

Just found out our local library also has it which technically makes the game free for me so thats that and I bought Dragons Dogma instead since my woman also wants that. Will Play it from the library then.
Hold the fuck up, since when do libraries have games that you can borrow?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, since I was 7 in Germany, so about 24 years ago. Probably earlier in the US, depending on where you are!

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No idea why people got so pissed about Bioshock/Infinite. They were decent FPS's, filled the void left in Half life 3's absence for sure - and it's not like Levine was ever trying to replace System Shock.

Ash

Arcane
You disappoint, Junmarko. Bioshock 1 is decline incarnate.

-It was marketed as the next System Shock 2. Nay, an evolution of it.
-It's a massive step down to everything that came before it in its heritage of design, from Ultima Underworld to System Shock to Deus Ex.
-Most importantly, Bioshock isn't even a good game. Emphasis on game, as in game rules, mechanics, challenge etc. Zero consequence vita chambers, a retard-friendly massive yellow arrow that leads you around by the nose, barebones as fuck gameplay in general, resources in abundance and so on. The gameplay is dogshit the mentally challenged perceive as good because it offers an illusion of choice and sophistication they fall prey to.
System Shock 2 featured multi-genre gameplay such as resource and inventory management, combat, navigation/investigation/exploration, puzzle solving, character building, platforming and more. Bioshock removed or aggressively stripped down most of that, leaving only combat with little to none of the strategy, especially when you consider you're legitimately invincible in Bioshock 1. You're left with a crappy god mode shooter where you can optionally rummage through trashcans for shit you don't need. In the moment to moment gameplay you can have fun with plasmids, telekinetic tossing of objects about, finding your next upgrade etc, but that's mostly only if you play games mindlessly and don't look past the surface. Super Mario Bros and Doom are more intelligently designed games that demand more engagement from the player, and feature more unified cohesive design than Biowaste.
-Lastly, it's considerably overrated by said mentally challenged. The piece of shit game is looked to as some kind of artistic achievement in gaming by ignorant shitlords when Looking Glass and Co. produced the real art years before. Hell, many great devs did. Credit where credit is due though, BS' actual art direction was probably significant for 2007.

For these reasons you will see scathing hate towards the game from some.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
No it isn't. The gameplay is borderline unchanged, or at least none of the core flaws are addressed. Still has the arrow GPS. Still has the god mode chambers. Still has the shitty gameplay loop of unengaging killing -> unengaging scavenging. Still has all the meaningless choices.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No it isn't. The gameplay is borderline unchanged, or at least none of the core flaws are addressed. Still has the arrow GPS. Still has the god mode chambers. Still has the shitty gameplay loop of unengaging killing -> unengaging scavenging. Still has all the meaningless choices.
Well, I can only speak for me, but I found it quite fun to go around blasting people with the various powers and weapons. Also, iirc if you die during little sister/big sister stuff you permanently lose the xp the fight represented, but I might be remembering wrong.

I also like the story bit where your "daughter" learns from watching you, it's a very small thing. Wish some game would flesh that out, and have npcs that are actually inspired by your actions, and changing quite a bit because of this.

It is certainly not a functional rpg, I view it as sorta similar to wolf 09. A fun but easy shooter.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It has fantastic writing/voice acting. Particularly Minvera's Den <3
Minerva's Den should have been it's own game - Bioshock 2's vanilla story was absurd, Lamb was such a pathetic antagonist.
Still has the god mode chambers.
You know System Shock 2 had this right? And I'm pretty sure the GPS arrow could be turned off, level design was unaffected by it's inclusion, it was clearly an afterthought.
-It was marketed as the next System Shock 2. Nay, an evolution of it.
Yes it was. And it was obviously fucked with, publishers do that a lot when they dump a lot of money at your feet. They didn't turn out to be "Shock" games as he intended, but they do lay somewhere between Shock and Half Life - hell, Infinite is basically Half Life 2 complete with it's own Alyx. Not what anyone wanted, but looking back they could've done worse.

Replayed Infinite recently too, the whole American Exceptionalism themes really grew on me this time. Might have something to do with Trump winning haha.

I think it's clear Levine wants to return to his roots with the smaller team at Ghost Story Games and this "Immersive Sim" they're working on now.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Still has the god mode chambers.

Of all the criticisms to lay at Bioshock's feet, I find this one to be the most perplexing. The System Shock games were always designed around the player having infinite tries so long as they found the respawn point within the level first. If anything System Shock 1 had the most relaxed implementation of these, the later Bioshock games deduct money every time you respawn, and System Shock 2 does the same with the additional caveat of permanently dying when you run out.

It's really player choice whether or not to use them anyway. You could just treat them as checkpoints by saving when you come across one and reloading that if you're so bothered by these. Personally I think they are a great metagaming mechanic, and with better placement can work out fairly well.

Ash

Arcane
You know System Shock 2 had this right?

Like I said, mindless play where one does not look past the surface.

-Requires activation first.
-ONE per deck. Some levels don't even have QBRs, either.
-Nanite penalty for use.
-High respawn rates means you'll likely encounter additional enemies as you make your way back to where you were.
-Respawns you with 10% of max hp.

The original BS on the other hand has little to none of these sensible consequences. There's multiple chambers per level, they're active by default, and there's absolutely no consequence for their use beyond having to walk around the corner once you respawn. It is essentially God Mode.

Cross

Arcane
No idea why people got so pissed about Bioshock/Infinite. They were decent FPS's
The gunplay in these games feels absolutely awful.

it's not like Levine was ever trying to replace System Shock.
Have you seen the pitch document for BioShock? It lists most of SS2's mechanics and design choices, describes them as mistakes and then declares that the developers have seen the light and that BioShock is going to completely remedy those failures.

And I'm pretty sure the GPS arrow could be turned off, level design was unaffected by it's inclusion, it was clearly an afterthought..
True, the level design in Bioshock is lousy by itself.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Bioshock 2 is the same game as the original with some stuff taken out like the superfluous crafting and the protracted hacking (hacking is still free and has no disincentive at all), the whole first 1/3 of the game (the tutorial part) is basically copy-pasted from the original which you'll notice if you play the games one after the other.
And the Minerva's Den expansion is completely baffling to me as a work, you have a reskinned System Shock 2 in the game Bioshock which is then used to tell a new story in a new environment, and then you decide to make an expansion that tries to reintroduce the story and setting elements of System Shock 2 back into the new game, which is already a reskinned System Shock 2 mechanically, what is this supposed to achieve?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this game is fun so far

S8LPgtu.jpg

yJ5ymvz.jpg

IujBZwn.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay finished it. Some thoughts/review thing.

Level design: overall worse than dishonored, but managed to create a great atmosphere and believable living isolated space. Few cool secrets here and there, okay level of interaction. Overall i enjoyed it.

Story: i actually like the twist, and that brief epilogue is actually really clever. Like how our decisions are laid out in the end, and despite being cryptic, it is pretty obvious of what happened with some power of deduction.

My favorite part is
how it made "it is all actually just a dream/simulation/imaginary trope meaningful in the grand scheme of thing and in the overall lore

otherwise, the characters aren't very strong. There is no antagonists as terrifying and charismatic as SHODAN or even andrew ryan. Actually bioshock 1 got alot more memorable characters.

Gameplay/combat:

No option to turn off quest marker (used the immersive GUI mod to turn shit off). Majority of the time, you can finish quests without markers, some time you can brute force it, but i loathe finding anything in the exterior. I ended uo turning on markers to find shit outside the station.

Again, dishonored do quest descriptions and directions better to solve without the marker.

The quest log in prey just arent detailed enough to effectively figure what is going on, but it does narrow the area nicely that you can start from the designated area.

Well, prey is fully open, and dishonored is level based, so there might be a little difference in the processcof building.

Overall the exploration is enjoyable and the level layout feels very natural that i remember the basic layout of everything in the game. By the end of the game, with all those backtracking feel alot better because i have memorized the most effective way to navigate withoug using map or marker.

Combat is fine. Nothing special powers are okay. I like these combo system thing going on and weaknesses and immunity. Could have been deeper, but overall combat is okay. Got a bit repetitive tho. Some guns are interesting. Glu gun is a cool idea.

Enemy variety and design is very weak. Sense of progression just stopped mid way because they stopped introducing new enemies. Early encounters are waaay more interesting, where you have to be effective and conservative. Once they introduce you to all type of phantoms snd telepath, and gain few more powers, everything become trivial and they compensate by spamming enemies instead of introducing new type of threats.

Overall the game is pretty cool. Can be waaaay better with a few tweaks, but it is a closer game to system shock than all of bioshock games combined.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I forgot I owned this game. You are right, they were working on a (big) DLC despite the poor sales.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Have you seen the pitch document for BioShock? It lists most of SS2's mechanics and design choices, describes them as mistakes and then declares that the developers have seen the light and that BioShock is going to completely remedy those failures.
Why every time a developer comes with stuff like that, I have the feeling he is full of shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom