Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If that diagram is right, it suggests that WEG has the worst cross marketing of all time. :D (Which doesn't seem to be true...)

You shouldn't be upset, it means your sales have room to grow!

However, stats like these are entirely typical. You'll see the same for Kickstarted RPGs that one would naively assume are bought by all the same people, for instance.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Only got primordia out of those. Was never much of an adventure game type, I bought it because of a codex playthrough. I liked the puzzles infinitely more than the ones in the old classics tbh.
Shame you couldn't explore the world more/learn more about it. Same with the one jew detective story game (forgot the name).
Of course I get that you can't just make the game larger and larger in terms of world-building and background info (especially today with the genre being a niche)... But it's a little sad if you get immersed in a game-world and the main plot thing with a little extra stuff is all you can experience and is basically what the world is built for.
The background happenings/"lore" often ends up interesting me more than the main quest.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The Shivah. Also a favorite of mine.

We did do some extra world stuff, like Fallen.
Downloading right now. I trust this isn't like every other game tie-in book :D

And yeah, the Shivah was the one, thanks! Gotta replay it as well sometime. Some of those hilarious codex playthrough comments really add to the experience though, shame there's no "codex comments" subtitle option in the actual game haha

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Dave redid The Shivah a few years ago. I haven't played the new one, so I don't know if it's good. I'm annoyed he didn't call it the Yartzeit Edition, but c'est la vie.

I think Fallen is quite different from the usual game tie-in book, but whether it's good or not is another question entirely. :D

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Depending on when you played it, that might be because of patches. The major patch we did in like December 2015 made the game much stronger.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
- A huge number of cosmetic fixes, stuff like making sure characters faced the right way when talking to each other.
- Substantial improvements to the Scraper explosion cutscene and Clarity vs. Scraper cutscenes, the latter of which somehow had no sound effects.
- Many other cutscene improvements in terms of timing.
- Some puzzles were significantly improved (e.g., we added a sonar ping to the energy sensor that made it much easier and more fun to find the battery in the junkyard; Crispin gives you a warning before you blow up Gamma; the ART acrostic was spaced in a way that made it easier to read), others were slightly improved (e.g., the sodium iodide crystal pulses more often).
- The two scrolling screens with "hidden" exits (UNNIIC generator room and Underworks hub) had their scrolling adjusted to make it much easier not to miss the exits.
- Crispin's hint dispensing was substantially improved to make it much more useful, also making him give his ambient comments on the environment more frequently, overall making him more integrated into the game and somewhat less annoying.
- A few ill-advised lines (like the Jay-Z joke) were removed.
- The Options screen was massively improved to include, among other things, a how-to-play guide.
- Various small-level user conveniences, like complete item reciprocity (A on B and B on A always do the same thing, a point I had resisted for a long time) and a pop-up hint if you haven't examined any items after 30 minutes (many players never realized that you could right click to examine, which boggles my mind, but there it is).

It's not that the changes are super visible, generally speaking they are invisible. What was visible before was the stuff that was broken -- Crispin always refusing to dispense hints, characters constantly facing the wrong way, key cutscenes looking/sounding terrible, etc.

I don't think the game's perfect, but it's still quite a bit better.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Looks like it was actually October 2014, not December 2015.

Here's an example of one of the bazillion emails that Primordia's longsuffering coder put up with in the process:
- To clarify, I meant an elevator ping when H+C+C arrive in the elevator. (Also, if there isn't one, a ping when Horatio arrives when he returns to the tower later.) The ping would sound just as the doors open inside the elevator car.

- I think Scraper could come a little bit less far to the left when he initially leaves the elevator (and then advance less after "Scraper?"). Maybe 10 to 15 px. In general, I'd like to try to have Scraper and Clarity line up even more vertically. We're getting there tho!

- I dunno if this is impossible, but it would be nice if Clarity started shooting while Scraper was still advancing. Currently, Scraper goes forward, stops, then Clarity shoots. Scraper stopping doesn't make much sense. Would be much cooler IMHO if she basically "drove him back" with her shots. To do this, I would have her draw her gun the moment MM says "Scraper?" and start firing while Scraper is stll moving forward.

- It seems like maybe the sfx are getting a bit bunched up on shooting/exploding, such that the explosion only sounds at the end. I think the explosions matter more than the sound of the gun firing, if we can only have one.

- I would have Horatio slide faster (twice as fast).

- It would also be nice if we faded to the gun as Horatio was sliding rather than after his sliding stopped. Again, dunno if this is impossible.

- I would shorten the pause before "Horatio, Calliope Station!" even more. Like, have her say the line almost the instant the emergency elevator scene fades in.

Another:
- If we're going with the larger options menu, maybe add save / load? I keep thinking I can find them there, and being disheartened when they're not.

- When you click on Gimbal the first time, Horatio says "hello?" twice. The audio files seem to be backwards. Can you switch them? (He's louder the first time; logically he should be louder the second.)

- I think perhaps Horatio's head shouldn't bob when he talks to Gimbal, but I defer to you. It's weird since he's not speaking.

- Do we use the wrong animation when Horatio puts the transmitter away? Should it just be the reverse of when he takes it out? Instead, we use the animation for the sensor flickering and going away.

- I wonder whether 187 might be better off about one pixel left, one pixel up. Right now, occasionally his front feet slide over the edge while he animates. But that way, his feet slightly overlap the door. So I'm not sure which is better/worse.

- After you examine the printout, can we have its tooltip change to "laws"? Might help remind players what it is in a way that would help with the 187 puzzle.

- When 187 leaves, we should start the stomping sound immediately after it fading to black, and then keep it black for a moment, then fade in. Right now, it's a little odd: the stomping starts as it fades in, but you can't see him walking away.

- When you click on Crispin for a hint, before Crispin talks he should face Horatio.

- I believe "look what I see?" should be "look what I see:" It's a Primer line.

- I had totally forgotten that you could use the transmitter on the bridge. So cool!

- If you close a secondary UI while in Leopold's inventory using the escape key, the inventory closes too. (E.g., if you've got your inventory open, or the options menu, and you close it with escape.)

- I wonder if there might be another animation we can use when you give Leopold items, like the "kneel and take" animation rather than the standing arm out. Dunno though.

- I love the way the transmitter UI now works.

- I'm not 100% sure that the "random numbers cycling" thing when do when you use the transmitter works. I think it might be better if the UI just closed. The random cycling has a bit of a "not how things work" feel and a bit of a red herring quality to it, as it briefly flashes a number before the UI closes. But maybe I'm wrong.

- What do you think about using a Crispin shadow below Clarity as she drops to the ground in the shells sequence? (I.e., putting it where she lands.)

- Is there a sfx we can use when Clarity spikes the head? I can listen through the list and see if there's anything good, unless there's already something there and I missed it.

- I wonder whether the "judge Oswald and Cornelius's case" option should only appear in Clarity's list if you've previously asked her "you said you were a law clerk" (in addition to the other reqs). Probably doesn't really matter, but it would shorten her list slightly, and it makes a little more logical sense.

- I think this line:

&53 The public records regarding humans were deleted by Council decree.

Should be moved to before this line:

&49 What I know is entirely hearsay.

I think it'll flow slightly better.

The public records regarding humans were deleted by Council decree.
What I know is entirely hearsay.
I was built after the Urbanians murdered them during the war.
Impossible!
That is what Arbiter told me, and it was told to him by MetroMind.
Beyond that, I cannot say.

Dunno. Thoughts?

- "But that cannot be true." I think she might not say "but." Do you mind listening and seeing? If she doesn't say it, we should delete the word from the line.

- When Clarity gives Horatio the keycard, could we use her "arm out" animation that we use in the showdown in the tower w/ MetroMind?

Maxie

Yep, it's still the same great Primordia with its overcast brown (or are they red?) skies, synthetic tunes, and charming robots looking for a reason to go on, bit by bit, byte by byte

There's no point to delve into the artstyle as many a reasonable fellow has already hurled all sorts of praises at every single aspect of it and rightfully so, for it still remains the prettiest WEG game, with the most intelligent design and execution

Cunningham and Goldfarb are killing it - great chemistry, great delivery, great goddamn lines, incredibly human for a game about a bunch of robots (or perhaps exactly because of it), the rest of the cast does its job just 'k as well

Very reasonable quality of life design with my beloved datapad full of notes which I would otherwise need to put on odd scraps of paper, helping immensely but not infantilising the game in the slightest

Despite being rather short and on the easy side, the game still manages to give you some headscratchers and once or twice is just a big asshole (fuck you and your kiosk Memorious you tit you boy you), for this Crispin's hints are useful if too straightforward at times

Defo one of the most interesting WEG productions and defo the smartest one, a modern classic if you will

Will show to my kids provided I manage to get kids one day/10

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks for the kind words!

I will say that the game went over well with my own kids, but I suppose they might've had a familial proprietary interest. It was actually my five-year-old's entree into adventure games, and she hasn't looked back since. (We're playing DOTT now.) Much to my delight, she derided Botanicula as "too cutesy."

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Ah, a good day -- your nice post, a couple positive Steam reviews, and someone dropping a note on the WWS website to say that he endorsed Primordia's distinction between "use tool on object" and "use object on tool" (i.e., non-reciprocity of A on B and B on A).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
:shifts uncomfortably:

Fallen Gods is really my primary focus. I will say that Vic, James, and I did go on a frolic and make another adventure game, which we're just polishing up, but it's neither Cloudscape nor Trenchmouth, and it's quite small. We all needed a break from other projects.

EDIT: Does this work?

Old man MRY, squandering his precious hours.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:shifts uncomfortably:

Fallen Gods is really my primary focus. I will say that Vic, James, and I did go on a frolic and make another adventure game, which we're just polishing up, but it's neither Cloudscape nor Trenchmouth, and it's quite small. We all needed a break from other projects.

EDIT: Does this work?
fHLy6Vkk2VoLEX-6hGdEOF8Pib1C9wSFT4LHn5E2Cq4AvLzrEcjgLuGETnf8LfUMp6X5aqXldg4j7p2C7xV4E4s5Rg3ASXBAq0aD=w1280-h893

Old man MRY, squandering his precious hours.

No. Use imgur ffs

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Now I'm even more depressed.

In light of that, I'll share some of the game's scintillating dialogue with this cheerful jokester.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one.
Bomb goes off, shrapnel everywhere.
Soldier looks down, his whole middle’s like hamburger.
Thinks ta himself, “Aww, I wanted a wiener.”

Tom Selleck

Arcane
surely that should be 'hot dog' considering that he probably had a wiener and it was blown off / apart and am confused if he's lamenting the loss of his own or using esl to describe a delicious tube steak

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Your first reading is correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom