Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prisonscape - a prison RPG

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Silly Codex, I would rather see females raping each other in the showers instead of males. :codexisfor:
:avatard:

palmito

Educated
Will there be a rape minigame? Racist quests to join the Aryan Brotherhood? The game sounds like a linear story-focused romp; other than that, cool.

No rape minigames, sorry. As the player character is white, he can join the AB through series of jobs (quests). Initially we thought of making three different characters (white, black and latino) with different stories in the game, but it would've been too much work because the game expanded a lot from the original idea. We might release the other two stories as a free DLC, though.

what if you can choose your race, your height, your weight, your avatar, your past, etc at the start of the game?. By choosing your race, you limit your posibility to enter in some gangs(blacks can't enter to the A.B. for example) , and your physical condition determines how you should fight(if it was your choice to do so, of course) and may also include some bonus. I was thinking in something like this:
short guy-->bonus on dodge
fat--> bonus on heath
skinny--> bonus on your speed/agility
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?
White - standard.
Nigger - intelligence limited to 5, bonus to strength.
Asian - strength limited to 5, bonus to intelligence.

You were talking about this, right?

Wrong

White - bonus to everything

all the other races - just penalties

long live the aryan brotherhood

:troll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fantasy terms:

1. Human
2. Orc
3. Elf
4. Dwarf

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
The screenshot looks like it's been upscaled, and I'd actually be glad to play in a normal-sized window.
It sounds very interesting, but I don't like the looks of it. You cannot have the Aryan Brotherhood and cutesy anime characters in the same game, it just won't blend. I like the down to earth approach - you're not trying to hide the fact that almost all of these gangs are racist as fuck.

The screenshots shouldn't be upscaled, I don't if the forum does such thing, though. We're going with pixel graphics in the game but with more detailed graphics in the UI. The reason why we chose pixels is that we really enjoyed the SNES era and such games as CT and FF4/6. Tiles are also fairly easy and quick to create.

And yea, the whole prison system and hierarchy is based on tribalism/racism so leaving that out would be stupid.

what if you can choose your race, your height, your weight, your avatar, your past, etc at the start of the game?. By choosing your race, you limit your posibility to enter in some gangs(blacks can't enter to the A.B. for example) , and your physical condition determines how you should fight(if it was your choice to do so, of course) and may also include some bonus. I was thinking in something like this:
fat--> bonus on heath
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?

Okay, race is something we thought very early in the planning process, and we actually had an early prototype where you could choose this. Here's quote from the FAQ:

"Our original intention was to make three different player character with different ethnicities, jobs and story lines but this would've just been too much work. With succesfully funded campaign we could make these as a free DLC that would be released (long) after the final game." We are still thinking about KS, but also about changing it into pre-sale like the makers of Prison Architect and Starbound did. If the game becomes a (minor) success, we will create these free DLC's for the other two ethnic groups, but currently we are just concentrating 100% on the white character so that there's enough C&C and interesting story.

There probably won't be much room for other character modification, though. You can choose a few skills and optional disadvantage (addiction, dyslexia, etc.).

St. Toxic

Arcane
How about a false choice at the start of the game, where if you choose any race other than white you get to play a small vignette where the character gets shot on sight by the police.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
We're already refurnishing the UI. Those Final Fantasy boxes were just a placeholder. This is how the game looks now UI-wise:
battle-UI.png

That's the UI I am talking about. Menu-combat is definitely not my favourite, to say the least. And it gives those JRPG vibes that fit poorly with the theme of the game IMHO.

Maybe something like a solid retro arcade UI?

risky_woods_smff.png

98303-deliverance-stormlord-ii-amiga-screenshot-how-sexy-i-ll-make.png

dreamweb.png

If you're going with custom engine, I'd go wild with the UI as well, to make it crystal clear that it isn't just another shoddy RPG Maker game.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Will there be a rape minigame? Racist quests to join the Aryan Brotherhood? The game sounds like a linear story-focused romp; other than that, cool.

No rape minigames, sorry. As the player character is white, he can join the AB through series of jobs (quests). Initially we thought of making three different characters (white, black and latino) with different stories in the game, but it would've been too much work because the game expanded a lot from the original idea. We might release the other two stories as a free DLC, though.

fat--> bonus on heath
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?
White - standard.

Wrong

Nigger must play basketball every 10 minutes and can do nothing without another nigger.
Hispanic guy can't into English, has little intelligence plus requires burritos to attack anyone.
Asian guy is basically a weak faggot.
Russian guy can't even move without vodka.

Lhynn

Arcane

fat--> bonus on heath
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?
White - standard.

Wrong

Nigger must play basketball every 10 minutes and can do nothing without another nigger.
Hispanic guy can't into English, has little intelligence plus requires burritos to attack anyone.
Was actually thinking that giving black people a bonus to intimidation, pick pocketing, hiding in shadows and boasting.
Asians should get a bonus to math.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

fat--> bonus on heath
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?
White - standard.

Wrong

Was actually thinking that giving black people a bonus to intimidation, pick pocketing, hiding in shadows and boasting.
Blacks DO get the bonus to hide in shadow but only if they close their eyes and mouth- otherwise you see eyes and teeth coming at you in the dark. When using this ability they cannot attack unless they have blind fighting or their "hide in shadow " is thwarted.

You can, however pick a skill- "Comedian" which allows you to tell funny jokes. This skill can be used when entering a dark room causing all Negroids to laugh (Constitution check) and thus allowing you to see their gleaming teeth and take appropriate action.

-BTW this thread is full of win. =P

mck

Cipher
I really wish the in-game graphics matched the character screen more.

zwanzig_zwoelf

fat--> bonus on heath
tall--> " on strength
and so on...

Is this possible?
White - standard.

Wrong

Blacks DO get the bonus to hide in shadow but only if they close their eyes and mouth- otherwise you see eyes and teeth coming at you in the dark. When using this ability they cannot attack unless they have blind fighting or their "hide in shadow " is thwarted.

You can, however pick a skill- "Comedian" which allows you to tell funny jokes. This skill can be used when entering a dark room causing all Negroids to laugh (Constitution check) and thus allowing you to see their gleaming teeth and take appropriate action.

-BTW this thread is full of win. =P
White can paint himself with shit to turn into nigger for 5 minutes to get through the crowd of aggressive niggers.
Asian can't do that, because his eyes will blow his disguise away.

BTW, why haven't we discussed butthole (inventory) size yet?

Lhynn

Arcane
Its been fun, but this isnt actually helping the devs of the game, so maybe we should just stop it and actually start to give constructive criticism again?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
You probably scared them off already so might as well continue this for 5 more pages.

Lhynn

Arcane
From what i understand the combat will be a real time based menu driven... thing? am i right?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Its been fun, but this isnt actually helping the devs of the game, so maybe we should just stop it and actually start to give constructive criticism again?
My, my, Lynn, did you just have a prison flashback that turned you into a cunt?

Lhynn

Arcane
No, i kinda remembered why they came to the codex in the first place, and it wasnt to read a bunch of nerds joking about racism and prison life. And stop projecting :smug:

zwanzig_zwoelf

No, i kinda remembered why they came to the codex in the first place, and it wasnt to read a bunch of nerds joking about racism and prison life. And stop projecting :smug:
So, are you their shared alt? Do they know about it?

Lhynn

Arcane
Crap! how did you find out? :nocountryforshitposters:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Crap! how did you find out? :nocountryforshitposters:
Go home, Koni.

Lhynn

Arcane
So anyway...
From what i understand the combat will be a real time based menu driven... thing? am i right? i seem to remember someone mentioning cooldowns, too lazy to go back and search for it, but shouldnt there be something less retarded artificial? like a temporary "resistance" to an attack you just recieved because it becomes "predictable".
Im not so interested in giving you things to add to the game as much as making things that are already in place as good as they can be, especially being so small and with such a limited budget. The idea of this game is good and i dont want to see it turn to shit.

I mean, im not expecting much from it, but i want it to be more than a little time waster.

vmode

Heaviest Matter
Developer
You probably scared them off already so might as well continue this for 5 more pages.
Pekka has posted Prisonscape on 4chan several times for gathering feedback, so we're kind of used to the off-the-wall comments already.

We're making Prisonscape on our free time, so the scope of the game needs to be limited if we're ever going to release it.

Anyways, keep the ideas and comments coming! We're checking this forum on a daily basis.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
That's the UI I am talking about. Menu-combat is definitely not my favourite, to say the least. And it gives those JRPG vibes that fit poorly with the theme of the game IMHO.

Maybe something like a solid retro arcade UI?

risky_woods_smff.png

98303-deliverance-stormlord-ii-amiga-screenshot-how-sexy-i-ll-make.png

dreamweb.png

If you're going with custom engine, I'd go wild with the UI as well, to make it crystal clear that it isn't just another shoddy RPG Maker game.

We'll take this into consideration. The first version of the battle will be menu-based, but something similar to Dreamweb could actually work. If you have any references (youtube links to good battle UI's), feel free to share and I'll try to fetch some ideas.

So anyway...
From what i understand the combat will be a real time based menu driven... thing? am i right? i seem to remember someone mentioning cooldowns, too lazy to go back and search for it, but shouldnt there be something less retarded artificial? like a temporary "resistance" to an attack you just recieved because it becomes "predictable".

Yes, it's currently menu-driven ATB that can also be changed to turn-based. Much like CT/FF. What we've added so far is combo hits that work with QTE's (a'la Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga). Weapons can be crafted and are very powerful, but also break easily and if the guards find them you'll get a trip to the hole. Drugs can be used as boosters, but they also have some disadvantages (such as addiction if used a lot). The more powerful the attack, the longer it takes for the next turn, so there's basically cooldowns for each attack type. Different attack types can be gained from either improving your fighting skill or intimidation skill (intelligence based attacks).

I really wish the in-game graphics matched the character screen more.

The in-game graphics will look better once we put some animations in (mice and cockroaches running around, leaking pipes, etc.) and after the inmates start interacting (walking around, talking to each other and so on). Also there's really no light and shadow applied anywhere because we're still thinking if we should do it straight into the tiles or with a dynamic lighting.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yes, it's currently menu-driven ATB that can also be changed to turn-based. Much like CT/FF. What we've added so far is combo hits that work with QTE's (a'la Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga). Weapons can be crafted and are very powerful, but also break easily and if the guards find them you'll get a trip to the hole. Drugs can be used as boosters, but they also have some disadvantages (such as addiction if used a lot). The more powerful the attack, the longer it takes for the next turn, so there's basically cooldowns for each attack type. Different attack types can be gained from either improving your fighting skill or intimidation skill (intelligence based attacks).
Ah, that actually sounds a lot better. Will there be movement in battle?

And changing subject and building on gear.
Will there be a mechanic to build stashes and store your shit, or to find other inmates stashes?

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Ah, that actually sounds a lot better. Will there be movement in battle?

And changing subject and building on gear.
Will there be a mechanic to build stashes and store your shit, or to find other inmates stashes?

We're planning on making hiding places where the player can store "hot" items. These locations will be fixed, but some of them are better than others, and you have to use strength/agility/intelligence to find them and to actually use them. I haven't thought about finding other inmate's stash before, but that's actually a really good idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom