Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dogma: Eternal Night - Successor to World of Darkness & Vampire the Masquerade

V_Delacroix

Literate
Hello. I am a game enthusiast, who loves VtM style games with vampires.Today I want to share with you one of my findings, Project Dogmat. I believe it is worth attention to any VtM & WoD player and any vampire fans/enthusiasts/worshipers.

There are surely many players who waited for World of Darkness MMO developed by CCP (Creators of EVE Online) only to see it cancelled after few years of development. After that we had hopes for a multiplayer project for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines called 'Project Vaulderie', only to see it shut down by CCP because they could. Our disappointment and frustrations have reached a boiling point.

But I bring you the good news - a light in the darkness. Not long ago I stumbled upon a very ambitious project, a successor to World of Darkness & Vampire the Masquerade games. It's called Project Dogmat, and while it's not directly based on World of Darkness lore, it certainly has its spirit. Project Dogmat is a MMORPG "with the atmosphere of modern gothic punk and horror" and was created by a russian developer 'AiryKai' with help of other enthusiasts. It's an indie game studio called "Prelude Games Factory". In my opinion this project has a great potential, it really does. The team behind Project Dogmat has really awesome ideas, and if they will deliver, then the spirit of White Wolf creation will continue to exist in that game. At this point, maybe not all is lost.

I found Project Dogmat some time after CCP forced the closure of the multiplayer project for VtM: Bloodlines called 'Project Vaulderie'. Just like WoD, Project Dogmat is an MMORPG with a universe resembling the real world, with similar history and geography. I will present you some of the key facts that I learned from the website and the forums:

• There are different Sabbaths - factions very similar to vampire clans known from VtM. Each one of these organizations is representing different ways of unlife, different culture and economy. Each will also have its own Covens, which were not presented yet;
  • Each character will start as a mortal, and may or may not - depending on their choice - be turned into a vampire by a vampire character;
  • Unlike in most MMOs, NPCs will play important part in the game, as some of them may actually serve you - a vampire, and in more ways than just as a bag of blood;
  • There may appear some human factions, although there are no info about that yet;
  • There will be rich customization options upon character creation, and there are supposed to be bunch of different clothes, so people will be able to really choose their own style. The clothes will actually affect the characteristics of the character;
    Player will be able to develop his character they way he wants without mechanical class restriction;
  • Player may permanently lose his character if not careful;
  • World around "will have a life of its own, it will continuously develop and react to every action that players will make";
  • There will be a combat system "where there is no separation of strong and weak";
  • Players will be able to purchase unique apartments, houses and establishments;
  • Each city in the game will have size approximately comparable with the real 5-7 km.
You can learn more about planned game features here: http://projectdogmat.com/en/features

The game is at the very early stage of development, but the developers have already released several demo videos. The game runs on the Unity 4 if I understand right. You can check the gameplay environment demo reel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yT4eyzNLmQ and check more videos on that channel. I think it does have the feel of VtM: Bloodlines, although characters at the moment remind me of "DARK".

My opinion is (i say this once again) that the game has a great potential, and with time, IF the developers will follow this path, then this game may evolve beyond expectations. At the moment the project seems to be barely known, so I decided to post it anywhere where there might be people interested in this title.

So there's that, a portion of info about this ambitious project. If you are interested to learn more, I forward you to the Project Dogmat website: http://projectdogmat.com/

V_Delacroix

Literate
Btw I'm not a bot. I just copy-pasted that thread to different forums so it could reach more WoD fans.

Aenra

interesting, let us recap in a perilepsis:

- ingame housing RMT? On a fucking sandbox of all genres? Check
- incoming vanity store items (we need your halp!!11!1)? Check
- permadeath (politely hinted through 'may lose his character if not careful)? Check
- indie? Check
- ruskie (or random third world Balkan counrty) indie? All the more flavour! Check
- all the above, ie one more sandbox to ride the sandbox frenzy, combined?

GTFO

Andhaira

Arcane
Lemme guess, this is being made by ex members of the Horizons and Shadowbane MMORPGs, both of which had similar ideas (Mage players summoning demon players and controlling them LOLOLOLOL) and crashed and burned horribadly?

Plz give OP the plant tag and also possibly retarded tag.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This is no way to treat guests who come bearing gifts you fucking degenerates

V_Delacroix

Literate
ingame housing RMT? On a fucking sandbox of all genres? Check

I am trying to figure out where did you get that 'sandbox' from - sadly with no luck. Allow me to quote myself:

Project Dogmat is a MMORPG "with the atmosphere of modern gothic punk and horror"

- incoming vanity store items (we need your halp!!11!1)? Check
I don't remember anything like that either. If you made some research and found this info somewhere, can I get a link please?

- ruskie (or random third world Balkan counrty) indie? All the more flavour! Check
Kinda racist. Why are russian developers any worse than developers from other countries? I have already witnessed successful game coming from russian developers.

- all the above, ie one more sandbox to ride the sandbox frenzy, combined?
Once again, not a sandbox.

And I am actually AMAZED by these extremely rude replies. I thought that forum that big would have strong foundations made of mature, polite and friendly community members.
Anyway, hopefully there are some VtM and WoD fans somewhere around here. People that didn't have much contact with this particular genre might easly dislike it at first sight.

V_Delacroix

Literate
How is perma-death a bad thing, you fucking casuals.
Hello there, and hello Damsel. I've been waiting for some enlightened kindred to come by.

I for one like that idea of perma-death. Gives the game more immersion and makes choices meaningful. Fear of final death will make players more careful, and political games more... immersive.

i dont get it, why would you call it project dogmeat and not have it be related to fallout

is this some sort of symbolism or smth
I can't really understand why should it be related to fallout.

If you ever played Vampire the Masquerade, you would know that one of the most important thing for a vampires (at least the younger ones) was their humanity/morality. The further from humanity would you follow, the closer to the Beast you would be. I am guessing that this title is connected to the term Dogma - A doctrine (or set of doctrines) relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth authoritatively by a religious organization or leader. One of the factions (Sabbaths) in Project Dogmat, The Orthodox Theocrazy are actually a religious organization. Whether it's connected to that particular, religious element or not, since the game is drawing from WoD/VtM lore, just like there existed the 'Masquerade' here must exist other rules/doctrines like these in VtM created by the Camarilla. So long story short, yeah, it's pretty much symbolic. I will ask developers about the title though, because atm these are just speculations. Hopefully accurate ones.

Whiran

Magister
I can't really understand why should it be related to fallout.
Because the dog.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dogmeat
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dogmeat_(Fallout_3)

A google search on dogmeat (for me) brings up a variety of links about Fallout as the top results.

If you ever played Vampire the Masquerade, you would know that one of the most important thing for a vampires (at least the younger ones) was their humanity/morality. The further from humanity would you follow, the closer to the Beast you would be.
I played in a Vampires the Masquerade campaign when I was younger. I enjoyed it a lot.

The term dogmeat brings back zero memories or connotations of the game.

It's a silly name for a game about vampires.

That sounds like a bad translation in the making.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Permadeath didn't really work in Wizardry Online. Unless the characters are really disposable you wouldn't want to lose them to a lag spike and a griefer. So in Wizardry Online, permadeath was at the end of dying repeatedly. And of your you could buy (as in real money) you way out of it.

Gameplay demo looked ok, the art style is coherent but the whole pitch seems to be incredibly ambitious.

V_Delacroix

Literate
That sounds like a bad translation in the making.

This is what lead developer told me when I asked about the title:

AiryKai (http://forum.projectdogmat.com/discussion/351/origin-of-the-title-project-dogmat) said:
Hmm... I think your assumption is really true. In the process of designing a new project we needed a tool for regulate the conduct of players and control griefers.

But we didn't want to create a stringent set of rules, such as in the Masquerade. We wanted to make more "free" tool, something that would be perceived by the vampires as a religious taboo. So we called it exactly Dogmat. Or Dogma, if it word makes you feel more comfortable.

Later it became the name for the project.

Whiran

Magister
This is what lead developer told me when I asked about the title:
And now I finally realize that the project is called Dogmat and not Dogmeat.

Not as silly but still silly.

I've played all of the Fallouts so Dogmat immediately became Dogmeat in my mind every time I looked at it. It's amazing what the brain can do.

Zetor

Arcane
Dogmat is still a silly name. Is it a mat for dogs (that's apparently a thing, btw)? Is it a mat made out of dogs?

Either call it 'Dogma' (maybe with a suffix) or make it two words like 'Project Dogma' or 'Dogma xyz'.

Aenra

How is perma-death a bad thing, you fucking casuals.

awwww, another edgy member, what an originality..you just answered your own question. Unless you need a picture drawn for extra help. All that edge, sometimes we lose focus :)

if at any time in your life you get to reach a mental state where 'casual' and 'hardcore' are nothing but indicators of a certain mindset, a mindset a touch out of touch if you will with reality or potential..get back to me; now go relish your pixels. It might come as a surprise, but if they really mean as much to you, you can enjoy them without contrasting your opinions of them to those of others. Who'd have thought hey?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Chill delacroix here's a thread theme to help you relax.
Don't worry I work here.

Last edited:

V_Delacroix

Literate
@tyrannosaurus rex
Well done sir! I can listen to this all night long. If I knew how to 'like' your post, I would.
Also you just motivated me more to continue my work on my local VtM PBF project and roleplaying session on Project Dogmat forums.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I'm glad you liked it.
see it looks like the the good administration does not agree with both of us. I don't know what kind of tiny bitter man would disable something like that, but hey, he exists and he's a moderator on the internet.

PS ; Whoever edited my spoilers after the disabling of the autoplay, I would like to think you did it to make it at least accessible, so uh thanks I hope.

V_Delacroix

Literate
Oh well. I didn't have problem with this hidden music in the background. Someone probably did.
Anyway, now I wish I was a vampire so I could avoid this deadly temperature.

Btw. Project Dogmat will run kickstarter campaign sometime soon. Probably this month, but I'm not sure.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I wish you good luck.

The environments look great.

P.S. The universe sounds better than VtR. :smug:

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
leave

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom