Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
TimCain please make sure the game will have Vulkan support.

Latelistener

Arcane
Given the rumors about MS acquisition, Vulkan is surely the most important thing right now.
I just hope Obsidian will last enough to develop and release this game without any issues.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Given the rumors about MS acquisition, Vulkan is surely the most important thing right now.
I just hope Obsidian will last enough to develop and release this game without any issues.
Ugh. The DirectX and Windows 10 Store requirements are the things that make me hate a potential Microsoft takeover.

But it's not like Microsoft can just take this game away from Take-Two/have a major influence on it if it does happen, right? (Now that I think about it, if that letter of intent really was from Obsidian to MS, I wonder how Take-Two feel about that whole thing.)

Flou

Arbiter
Seems like they've hired Marc Soskin to work as a Level Designer on this game. He started around march and since he wasn't mentioned on Pillars DLC credits, it's save to assume (with his previous history with UE) that he is working on Indiana instead.

He previously worked as a Writer on ARK and has done some scripting and designing on various prototypes as well a Oculus Rift game for PC. Maybe one of the writers for the game as well as level designing?

Also updated my post on who is working on the game since at least Allen Chen and Brian LeLeux have switched jobs during the summer.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Maybe they're preparing for acquisition. Makes sense why they didn't show it on E3 and Gamescom.
Or maybe it's just Reboot Protocol 2: How To Alienate Your Publisher In 3 Years.

Latelistener

Arcane
Bethesda acquired id Software when they were developing Rage, which iirc EA was publishing at that time, so I don't think it's something you can't deal with.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
meh.png
If some of the other games Private Division is publishing are announced but not this one, then start worrying.

Hmm, given their history, wonder if Take Two will force Cainarsky to release 2 combat systems for Project Indiana: one turn-based, and one for Occulus Rift.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
meh.png
If some of the other games Private Division is publishing are announced but not this one, then start worrying.

Some people just like to worry in advance.

I mean, Tim Cain's presentation about new game that ditches numbers for geometric shapes is from April 2017. So it's at least 1.5 a year in development and it doesn't even officially exist yet.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meh.png

Some people just like to worry in advance.

I mean, Tim Cain's presentation about new game that ditches numbers for geometric shapes is from April 2017. So it's at least 1.5 a year in development and it doesn't even officially exist yet.

It’s been in development longer than that. IIRC they hired Boyarsky in 2016.

My suspicion: this is likely going to be an open world action RPG. Rockstar already has a huge open world action game with light RPG elements coming out in October, Red Dead Redemption 2, so announcing The Outer Worlds before that release would be marketing malpractice. They want to get as many preorders and holiday sales as possible—this is their second biggest franchise. I’m betting we won’t hear a peep about The Outer Worlds until January at the earliest. Q3 and Q4 are all about Red Dead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In an interview, Private Division's manager implied that Patrice Desilets' game would be the first new project they reveal - and even that won't be before 2019: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...abel-from-take-two.119573/page-2#post-5716111

Desilets’ Ancestors might be the first new IP to lead the charge for Private Division. Worosz said 2019 should be when we start to see his team’s work bear fruit.

I'm afraid Obsidian were just wrong about this game being revealed in 2018 (although I guess there's still an off-chance there might be a teaser or something)

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would a title that could sell the biggest amount of copies in this gen be concerned with an AA title that could be more than a year off.

Also how many big conventions are left this year? both this and Levine's game were supposed to be announced this year :M

agris

Arcane
Patron
There's also a good chance that because PoE 2 never met it's expected sales forecast, the pace of Indiana's development has slowed and all pre-Deadfire release expectations about Indiana's timeline are now thrown out, maybe even the whole studio's. Infinitron were "Obsidian's" remarks about a 2018 reveal made before Deadfire was released?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron I’m not sure why you think that’s a creative idea, revenue forecasts and thus new product sales numbers are vital for business planning. Surely there were expectations of sales prior to Deadfire’s release, and I don’t expect they were as low as what was achieved. Those expectations factor into budgeting for internal expenses, such as payroll and benefits for employees - especially those not working on projects externally bankrolled.

Flou

Arbiter
In an interview, Private Division's manager implied that Patrice Desilets' game would be the first new project they reveal - and even that won't be before 2019: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...abel-from-take-two.119573/page-2#post-5716111

I'm afraid Obsidian were just wrong about this game being revealed in 2018 (although I guess there's still an off-chance there might be a teaser or something)

Feargus was wrong? Impossible!
It just might be that the game got bigger than originally planned if Private Division saw an opportunity for a massive hit. Or Feargus lives in the past when games were annouced years before release.
If Private Division wants to do things right (as it would seem like they do), they will announce game few months before release to get a very focused and solid PR campaign just before launch.

Flou

Arbiter
Why would a title that could sell the biggest amount of copies in this gen be concerned with an AA title that could be more than a year off.
Also how many big conventions are left this year? both this and Levine's game were supposed to be announced this year :M

That was according to Feargus. Feargus doesn't decide on that though and Private Division has said that the game won't be announced during this year.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The less Feargas Urukhailard has to do with Indiana the better for project, devs, gamers, publisher, polar bears, oil prices, anime industry, Merica!, world and Feargas himself.

Can someone give him million dollars to chew on and sexy lawyer to play Arcanum half-Ogre playthrough with so that he can leave Indiana alone?

Latelistener

Arcane
Can someone give him million dollars to chew on and sexy lawyer to play Arcanum half-Ogre playthrough with so that he can leave Indiana alone?
The only way he's going to leave Indiana alone is by retiring, and retiring includes selling Obsidian.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The only way he's going to leave Indiana alone is by retiring, and retiring includes selling Obsidian.

If that means slave being sold to better master then sure, why not. Current master doesn't even want to own Obslavedian. It's sado-masochistic relationship. Mostly sadistic. Most sadism done by Feargus, most masochism done by Sawyer. Pretty balanced pretty fucked up situation in studio. Very unhealthy in long run for mental health of everyone involved. No wonder Avellone did tactical retreat from studio.

Btw I wonder if Avellone's favourite LoTR movie is The Return of the King... :smug:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Selling Obsidian is exactly what is needed to get the studio back on track. When Obsidian was focused on single large projects like Kotor 2 or New Vegas, they excelled. When they were internally sliced up by Ferg's pizzaroller, their quality varied wildly from mediocre to outright bad.

Safe Obsidian from the Meg Ferg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom