Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I need to wear biker gloves to my next company photo.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's a photo of the team on Private Division's website:

pd_developer_obsidianentertainment_team_final_1920x1080.jpg

Fat white males?

Incline might return:obviously:
I agree,just don't know why they decided to take a picture with the two janitors.

Roderick

Savant
been awaiting for something like this to happen. Hope it comes out good

Quillon

Arcane
I remember now Feargus was saying that an RPG with new Xcom games' combat would be nice in figstarter comments, now we know the publisher's related to Firaxis maybe it could be the case :P As much as I prefer RTwP to TB; TB Xcombat would be a lot better than action-shooter gameplay but I guess if there were to be "tactical combat", it would be an optional secondary feature at best alongside action-shooter combat.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cain/Boyarsky's project might be the thing I'm most excited about other than The New World. I will probably be let down hard, but man, doesn't this shit just get you hyped up?

Boyarskys been Blizzard's slave for 10 years, and now he's ready to fire on all fucking cRPG cylinders and I bet Cain is too. Full uncontained unleashed incline. PLEASEEEEE let it be post-apoc or a true sci-fi top-down isometric TB cRPG. I will donate endless amounts of moni.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm looking forward to seeing what it is to be sure but I have my dobuts whether it will be anything that is really up my alley and will make me go crazy with hype. Would certainly be happy to be proven wrong but... not holding my breath.

Flou

Arbiter
Few more job openings at Obsidian. Senior Gameplay & AI Programmer and Senior Technical Artist. Both job openings require knowledge of UE4.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if Take 2 will try to acquire Obsidian if this game turns out to be a big success like Horizon Zero Dawn. It probably wants to have an internal RPG studio. I think it's probably not a coincidence that three of Private Division's four games are RPG or narrative-based action game.

IF Obsidian become a part of Take 2, will they stop making old-school-ish games like PoE or possible Sawyer RPG? Maybe not. Maybe they could operate like Firaxis.

A couple of interviews from last year that led me to this imagination:

From an interview with the head of Private Division last December: http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/inter...-into-indie-publishing-with-private-division/

Who retains IP with Private Division projects?
With the exception of Kerbal Space Program, which we acquired earlier this year, our studio partners own the underlying IP, and we have long-term rights to develop sequels against these IPs.

From an interview with Urquhart and Parker: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ow-rpgs-greatest-survivors-kept-the-lights-on

As an independent, it's also been harder for Obsidian to get extensions than it generally is for internal studios at publishers. "We sign a contract and we must hit that number and it is the end of the earth if we [don't]," says Urquhart. "We've had to sign away royalties, we've had to sign away ownership of IPs…" He pauses again. "Whereas internal studios, it's just another month - they're already paying the people, it's already in the budget these people are going to be paid."

That said, Obsidian has had offers of acquisition from publishers - "a lot", according to Urquhart. "It's not like we're 'indie for life'," he says, "not like we bleed indie blood. We were an internal studio [Black Isle] for a publisher for a long time and we were successful."

"If the right opportunity came up," adds Parker, "it's certainly something that we would do."

It would certainly be an easier life with malleable deadlines and someone else absorbing responsibility for people's livelihoods. Plus, Urquhart wouldn't have to go out on the road all the time and do "his little horse and pony show" as Chris Parker so brilliantly puts it. But the deals have never been right. "We just didn't think the offers were commensurate to what we're worth and then what we would get to do," Urquhart says.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IF Obsidian become a part of Take 2, will they stop making old-school-ish games like PoE or possible Sawyer RPG? Maybe not. Maybe they could operate like Firaxis.

I'd argue that Divinity: Original Sin shows the way in which developing isometric RPGs could be acceptable to an AAA publisher. Swen Vincke, handmaiden of the Obsidian sellout? :D

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Is Sawyer involved with this in anyway?

If not, it might be Obsidian's first good game :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom