Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Job posting for Lighting Artist: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/1049-lighting-artist

• Help work on the sky-system including the setup of textures and skydomes to work with a dynamic time-of-day system

Not quite confirming that this has a gameplay-relavant day/night system but probably not that surprising if there is.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
But who knows if the sky is the earth and the earth is the sky, and it's actually an isometric game where you always walk on the sky instead of the earth. The Outer Worlds probably refers the kingdoms on the earth up there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some folks are gonna find it weird to return to the mentality of Obsidian as an AAA developer. It has been 7 years since the last one (South Park and Armored Warfare don't seem to count in people's minds)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Some folks are gonna find it weird to return to the mentality of Obsidian as an AAA developer. It has been 7 years since the last one (South Park and Armored Warfare don't seem to count in people's minds)
south park felt like a 50/50 venture with SP studios, with SP studios doing a big chunk of the core stuff like art, writing, sounds.
the armored warfare team felt like an ad-hoc studio, not really obsidian

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
how many of the armored warfare team are still around?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will we get a little tease for this at E3? Anyone knows?
None of the Private Division games will be at E3, afaik.
inb4 Feargus talks 2k into rushing out an announcement for all the people upset about F76
He'd be biting off more than he can chew. T2 said at their Fiscal Year Meeting that they don't intend to announce any games. Technically, Obsidian's Project Indiana is something we know about, but there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I have a feeling this is going to be a huge disappointment for people here. Most likely this is going to be some kind of streamlined third-person/first person action RPG.

Flou

Arbiter

Quite many of that team has been laid off / has moved on since:

Kylan Coats (UI guy, he implemented the UI for Indiana AFAIK)
Alexander Gonzalez (was a junior vehicle artist)
Bree Maldonado (got married to the former Obsidian sound guy, and goes by Bree Lawlor nowadays and is working at Blizzard)
Daniel Cuatt ( Was laid off in the Jan '17 round of layoffs)
Edgar Morales ( Same as above)
Gus Amador ( Art Director at Pound Sand Games, quite many ex-Obsidian people work there. Not sure if he is still at Obsidian though, since his linked in shows him still at Obsidian too)
Jami Moravetz (Working at Nintendo)
Matt McCorkell (Jan '17, now at DICE)
Matthew Carranze (Jan '17)
Rachelle Myre (Left last September)
Stephanie Dowling ( Working at Ubisoft on South Park)
Joyce Ramos (At Apple)
Jon Hayter (Feb '17)
Brad Boyles (Feb '17, now at Turtle Rock)
Chad Elliott (same as above)
Daniel Brownstone (Jan '17, now at Sledgehammer Games)
Gilberto Sulaiman (Left the company way back in 2015)
Paul Forgy (March '17)
Sam Son (Jan '17, now at Unbroken Studios)
Trevor Crandall ( April 2014)

That's just the art team. Then again, pretty much all of them were hired to work on Armored Warfare.

As always, 'Codex focuses on the wrong things. Nothing wrong with a large budget action RPG. At its best, you get something like Gothic, Risen1, ELEX, Fallout: New Vegas or Witcher 3.

The details is what matters. Can Cainarsky do what Sawvallone could not, i.e. create compelling writing, lore, mechanics, systems, etc?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The details is what matters. Can Cainarsky do what Sawvallone could not, i.e. create compelling writing, lore, mechanics, systems, etc?

tshirt-1420984484341_big.png

Flou

Arbiter
how many of the armored warfare team are still around?

I think most of them should be, or at least a large chunk.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/armored-warfare/credits

You can compare that with Flou's list: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-7#post-5638793

Sound team:

Austin Shannon ( Left around 2014, after South Park I think. Now at WB Games)
Bryan Higa ( Left 2015, now at Riot Games)
David Gilbreath ( Feb '17, now at id Software)
Bobby Thayer ( Sep '17, now at Nickelodeon Animation)
Sam Justice and Stafford Bawler (I think these guys were consultants/freelancers)
Randall Brown (Left around Sep '16)
Cris Velasco (Contractor)

Design team:

Erik Bretz (Jan '17, now at DICE)
Erik Weld (Feb '17, now at Skydance Media)
Jason Glenn (Nov '16)
Mike Pirozzi (Jan '17, now at Skydance Media)
Robert Lee (Jun '17, moved back to Ohio. Most likely worked on Indiana as Senior Designer)
Sean Soderlind (May '15)
Jesse Scoble (Dec '15, now at Ubisoft Montreal - AssCreed and Farcry series)
Rachel Noel (Feb '17, now at TellTale Games, worked on the Batman - Enemy Within game)
Andrew Rowe (May '16)
Felix Kupis (Mar '17, was hired for the balance 2.0 patch, now at WB working on some VR shit)
Austin Berry (Feb '17)
Gian Castellanos (Sep '15, now at Pound Sand)
Jessica Kernan (Feb '16)
Kevin Jordan (Nov '16)
Melissa Sawicki (Nov '15)
Shawn Maldonado (Feb '17)
Marissa Gonzales (Aug '16, did Data Analyst on the game. So probably not much use on singleplayer games)

Programming:

Javier Olivares (Nov '16, now at Arenanet)
Twain Martin (Mar '17, now at Wawedash)
Aaron Keech (Contractor)
Andrew Klinzing (Feb '16, now at Apple)
Brenden Booth (June '13, at Blizzard)
Chris Lierman (Feb '17, at DayBreak Game Company)
Eric Whelpley (Mar '17, at Wawedash)
Greg Kinneman (May '16, at Harmonix)
Jay Fong (Feb '18, at Nexon OC, shows him active at Obsidian as well though)
Jonathan Burke (Dec '14, went to Bethesda. Now working at Santa Monica Studio)
Matthew Boynton (Oct '16, doing some VR shit. Worked on first Pillars as well as Deadfire)
Michael Edwards ( May '14. Old school guy, was with the company from 2006. At Megabork)
Myron Liu (Feb '17, at Blizzard)
Patrick Hayes (June '17, moved to Seattle area)
Preston Hulcy (Nov '16, at Playful Corp. Did some work on Tyranny and Pillars as well)
Steven Nguyen (Nov '16)
Sven Knutson (Oct '15. At Blizzard. Did the physics stuff on AW and on Onyx Engine)
Tim Hume (Aug '17, at Wawedash)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Flou Very well done, but would be even more informative if you specified how many were still at Obsidian (a number for each team, like 10/24 or whatever?)

Flou

Arbiter

Production:

Drew Bradford (Aug '14. Lasted 1½ years as the Lead Producer)
Amanda Khoury (Intern back in 2014)
Carlos Rodriguez (Nov '16. Working on some VR shit)
Elizabeth Seminario (Jan '17, at Blizzard)
Jonathan Moses (Nov '17, at Treyarch. Worked on Indiana as Senior Producer afaik)
Katrina Schnell/Garsten (Face of the Deadfire Fig campaign, now at Blizzard)
Kevin Chavarria (Jan '16, at NCSOFT)
Lauren Gragg (Oct '17, at ArenaNet)
Todd Morgan (Left back in 2014, now at Blind Squirrel Games)

Flou

Arbiter
Flou Very well done, but would be even more informative if you specified how many were still at Obsidian (a number for each team, like 10/24 or whatever?)

48/140 total staff. Didn't count Q&A or owners nor admin staff. Count might be off by few. Few doubles on the credits. Some random Russians, contractors etc. got counted as well. Didn't count those with clear consultant title on the credits.

Art: 23/50
Sound: 4/12
Design: 5/24
Programming: 11/36
Production: 4/17
And Richard Taylor as the Project Director 1/1

Klarion

Arcane
I have a feeling we're gonna see something like Skyrim basically. But in a completely different setting. Obsidian studio wants to have something like that, I mean some franchise like Bethesda has.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have a feeling we're gonna see something like Skyrim basically. But in a completely different setting. Obsidian studio wants to have something like that, I mean some franchise like Bethesda has.

Assuming it was more cleverly designed in the RPG areas like New Vegas this would make me squee with joy. I just hope it isn't a generic fantasy setting like Pillars.

imweasel

Would Obsidian even own the IP? They have a publisher for this game after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom