Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Project Resurgence - cRPG inspired by Fallout and Arcanum

ArchAngel

Arcane
I cannot believe nobody posted a topic here about this game being made.
It is a new cRPG being made by about 40 developers in their spare time but it is soon to come to Kickstarter and then be done full time with number of people depending on how much they raise.

Main page is here: http://nectargamestudios.com/

As the title says, it will be a isometric party based cRPG inspired mostly by Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum, but also taking good things from IE games, D:OS, Shadowrun Returns and newer games like PoE or DA:O.

They said it is going to have both turn based and real time combat, more info about it here:
http://nectargamestudios.com/blog/mechanics/a-tale-of-two-combats/

Conversations will be a combination of PoE and SRR with novel like approach and storybooks since they know they cannot afford Voice acting or animations. They promise lots of reactivity in conversations and non combat options to different situations.

It is made in Unity, hopefully version 5. Kickstarter pitch is being finished and should be out "soon". It will have a good video pitch and a playable demo with about 1 hour of content with most basic systems working.

One of the guys leading the project is a fairly famous twitch personality cohhcarnage (you can watch him play Fallout 1 at the moment here http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage) and he will also be one of the two guys presenting the KS pitch.

I have a really good feeling about this game :)

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Turn based and real time? Hmmm... I'm skeptic about that...

(Makes me think about Arcanum and Fallout Tactics)

ArchAngel

Arcane

Read the link I put about that. They know Arcanum had problems because of that, and they explained how they plan to do it better.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Read the link I put about that. They know Arcanum had problems because of that, and they explained how they plan to do it better.

Already did. I never saw a good implementation of it. It seems straightforward on paper, but I'm waiting to see it before believing in it. Can't help it.

Hope it turns out great though!

Mech

Cipher

The way they plan on implementing it sounds reasonable. I like this simply for the fact that you will (presumably) be able to use realtime combat for push over fights and then switch to turn based for the more difficult ones, if you so choose.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Already did. I never saw a good implementation of it. It seems straightforward on paper, but I'm waiting to see it before believing in it. Can't help it.

Hope it turns out great though!
Well they have a working build with 1 hour of play and it will be available for play for anyone as part of their KS pitch. They said they are just polishing it because they want to leave the best possible first impression.
Since KS should be out in weeks, we will find out soon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I must say some of the images from the site give a nice arcanum+shadowrun vibe and setting is post-post apocalyptic.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aren't Twitch personalities mostly screeching retards? Well at least he's got taste in games, is the bloke different than the run of the mill?

That site talks a good game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Aren't Twitch personalities mostly screeching retards? Well at least he's got taste in games, is the bloke different than the run of the mill?
Yea, this guy is pretty unique. He really enjoys old games as he is an older gamer. He plans to stream playing PST before TToN release.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In that forum section on combat as stated by one of the admins:
Agreed, I think having competent AI is the biggest issue with TB. I also liked Dragon Age's system, but it certainly wasn't perfect. Did you play Final Fantasy 12? I thought it was a bit better, but I didn't like having to purchase new tactical options for shops.

... this will end well.

edit: From their bios:

Art Director: Bioshock 2
Senior Programmer: Aliens: Colonial Marines
Writer: Written 4 unpublished novels

laugh 2.jpg

Last edited:

Maschtervoz

Learned
Well they do seem to be putting a bit more thought into the two combat modes than just "lol we have both so everyone is happy" but the problem is that we are talking about fundamental gameplay systems here. Combat does not exist in a void, it is an organic part of gameplay that constantly interacts with other systems and mechanics. Turn based and real time are different beasts not just in terms of how actors move, they also have subtle influence over encounter design, pacing, the finer workings of abilities and skills, balance, etc. There's so many variables you have to take into consideration in order to make a game that pulls off both and does not suck, one has to wonder why not save yourself time and resources and pick one combat mode, make it excellent, then spend the rest on other stuff like quest design or worldbuilding or C&C or whatever.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Making both real-time and turn-based combat is the worst idea ever. It never, ever works. It just doesn't. For one, it takes time and resources, which could (and should) be invested in other fields, both design- and programming-wise. Especially when you run a tight indie ship. Then, of course, is the (trigger warning) balance thing. It's hard enough to make only one combat system good, engaging, balanced and exploit-free. Putting two different systems together, merging and trying to make them work well is just a pointless endeavour.

I wish them well, but they will regret it. This sort of feature bloat will force them to cut corners and ship an unfinished game. Just look at that X-COM Apocalypse, which review has just appeared on Tacticular Cancer, courtesy of good friend Darth Roxor.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Making both real-time and turn-based combat is the worst idea ever. It never, ever works. It just doesn't. For one, it takes time and resources, which could (and should) be invested in other fields, both design- and programming-wise. Especially when you run a tight indie ship. Then, of course, is the (trigger warning) balance thing. It's hard enough to make only one combat system good, engaging, balanced and exploit-free. Putting two different systems together, merging and trying to make them work well is just a pointless endeavour.
Precisely. You have to design and balance two very different combat systems that have different strengths and weaknesses. It's a fool's errand.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Do you? They plan to have both use same mechanics, they explained it even in more detail. If you have 10 AP you will get two attacks in TB and attack twice as fast as 5 AP guy in real time. And in real time they are using 5s "rounds" like IE games.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
dialog_wip-825x510.jpg

The writing... Looks a bit juvenile.

"Sunny smile"...

I'm not a fan of those descriptive inputs....

Also, "Whiskey soup"?! C'mon...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Do you? They plan to have both use same mechanics, they explained it even in more detail. If you have 10 AP you will get two attacks in TB and attack twice as fast as 5 AP guy in real time. And in real time they are using 5s "rounds" like IE games.
Piece of cake.

epeli

Arcane
I got the feeling this game might be
possibly_retarded.png
. Website's full of typical marketing drivel, combat will be a bad compromise of two modes and the engine is unity... but I'll wait for the playable demo.

Do you seriously believe they can just "have both use same mechanics"? :lol: Actions in real time happen simultaneously, but in turn-based they happen sequentially. This is kind of a big deal if they plan to have any interesting combat mechanics. And there's a number of other problematic differences between RT and TB - for example, converting effect durations from real-time into larger discrete time units, full 5s turns.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got the feeling this game might be
possibly_retarded.png
. Website's full of typical marketing drivel, combat will be a bad compromise of two modes and the engine is unity... but I'll wait for the playable demo.

Do you seriously believe they can just "have both use same mechanics"? :lol: Actions in real time happen simultaneously, but in turn-based they happen sequentially. This is kind of a big deal if they plan to have any interesting combat mechanics. And there's a number of other problematic differences between RT and TB - for example, converting effect durations from real-time into larger discrete time units, full 5s turns.
Maybe I am just more optimistic than average Codexer. I guess we will see once KS starts. And I can suffer through a weaker implementation of hybrid combat if the rest of the game is good. I plan to play in TB anyways.

thexsa

Educated
RT/TB hybrid combat?
Not even once.
Arcanum, Fallout Tactics and X-COM Apocalypse were good enough for me. All three are good games, but DESPITE the hybrid combat.
Commit to TB or RT or die.

Worked for MM6.

You felt like a genius when you figured out you could just spam arrows in RT, then enter TB and let the poor sods slide down the hill they struggled minutes to get up onto.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom