Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Zomboid - isometric zombie survival indie

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
zomboidfirethumb.png

Gameplay video: http://www.justin.tv/firkraagsc2/b/287088952

# Project Zomboid is a Zombie Survival RPG. Here are some of its planned features:

* Retro-isometric style with plenty of zombie insides thrown in for good measure.
* A massive city and the surrounding areas to traverse, explore and loot.
* Open-ended sandbox world – survival is your only goal, and we’re sorry to tell you… you WILL die eventually.
* Get infected. How will you spend your final days? Will you have a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, or end up chewing your best friend’s throat out?
* Meet other survivors who you can join forces with, trade with, undertake missions for, or fight with for resources.
* Loot, salvage, and build what you need to survive the apocalypse, from food and medical supplies, to weapons, even just booze to help get you through the nights.
* Advanced item crafting allows you to use looted items to build weapons, traps, defenses, and many other things to help you survive.
* Character progression. Learn skills and perks to help your character face the challenges of survival.
* Starvation, illness, loneliness, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, insanity, trust issues. There’s more to zombie survival than shooting zombie heads off.
* Join your friends and survive the apocalypse together in co-op multiplayer.
* The world changes the longer you survive; power plants fail, plunging the city into darkness and making batteries and tinned food prized commodities. The army rolls into the streets to perform ‘clean up operations’ and other gamechanging events occur the longer you survive.
* Play in your browser, or stand-alone, on PC, Mac and Linux.

# It will be released Minecraft style, where there will be continual updates adding new features, weapons, game-play and locations.
# You technically cannot ‘pre-order’ or purchase the game, but we do give it away as a free gift when you buy our other games! (There are reasons why it has to be this way. Read our blog for an insight)
# It is available here alongside aforementioned games, and there will be a tech demo coming soon.
# The tech demo will just show a fraction of the planned features and is merely a taste of what is to come. We will continue developing after this point, feasibly for years and years, improving and expanding the game.

The game has gotten pretty good feedback so far. Anyone tried it?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They're making a tech demo to be released soon.

It's already possible to buy the alpha (and get all coming updates for free) á la Mount & Blade and Minecraft. I'm not gonna buy it just to check it out though so I'm waiting.

Silellak

Cipher
I bought into the alpha. It's pretty fun, lots of potential...there's just not all that much to do...yet. Oh, and you can't save yet either, which is kind of derp.

Between this and Dead State, things are looking good in the ZRPG world :thumbsup:

Multi-headed Cow

Ah what the hell. I was originally going to wait to see how fast they pushed out updates and/or when they released a public demo, but I'll throw $8 at 'em. Even though it's going to be a browser game. And even though the city isn't randomized.

Got hopes for this. HIGH HOPES INDEED. So high I'm buying in way earlier than I would for probably any other game.

Multi-headed Cow

Anyone tried to let the raider dude take your house? He tried to shoot my wife but I think it bugged. Shotgun went off, wife seemed to still be alive, dude didn't say anything or more.

Silellak

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
Anyone tried to let the raider dude take your house? He tried to shoot my wife but I think it bugged. Shotgun went off, wife seemed to still be alive, dude didn't say anything or more.
Hm, I never tried to let him take, but I finally found a way to kill him after a few tries.

Also, do you know how to "skip" the tutorial?

Silellak

Cipher
JaySn said:
Tell me when it's no longer in alpha and available as a torrent.

Paying for the promise of a possible game is not something I like to do.

Multi-headed Cow said:
The pre-alpha tech demo thing is public now.
http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.ph ... -released/

Apparently they've taken down the private browser-only copy for now until they do their next update or whatever.
Man, reading sure is hard. :decline:

MCA
torpid said:
Aren't people tired of zombies?

This is one of those stupid bullshit arguers, like "haven't there been enough zombie games?" What zombie games, asshole, what zombie games? Where are those waves of zombie games that washed all over us?

MapMan

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:

What raider? Furtherst I got was make soup which set my house on fire and zombies rushed in and killed both me and my wife :(

JaySn

Educated
Tell me when it's no longer in alpha and available as a torrent.

Paying for the promise of a possible game is not something I like to do.

The soup sounds most treacherous.

Multi-headed Cow

The fire is something that CAN happen. If fire happens raider doesn't happen.

A user named cat

Plant joins Codex to necro thread. Wonderful sales pitch because Steamtard reviews are to be trusted.

Game looked decent back when it was gaining some momentum but I remember something haulting developement ages ago like a hdd being lost or stolen. Either way, $15? Underrail is only $10 and a much better buy. Fix your price, this isn't worth more than $5 especially since Dead State came out not long ago.

Multi-headed Cow

Slightly moreso but not completely. I likes me some zombies.

Plant joins Codex to necro thread. Wonderful sales pitch because Steamtard reviews are to be trusted.

Game looked decent back when it was gaining some momentum but I remember something haulting developement ages ago like a hdd being lost or stolen. Either way, $15? Underrail is only $10 and a much better buy. Fix your price, this isn't worth more than $5 especially since Dead State came out not long ago.
It's still a pretty big ripoff. They've been stringing along NPCs for fucking years now while adding soil erosion (Not kidding, wasn't even the developer who made it, was some modder and they horked it) and multiplayer even though there's nothing to do in the game. In fact there must be another PZ thread 'cause I remember posting status reports of nothing happening year after year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom