Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Zomboid

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dude on PZ forums said:
Don't worry guys, I got robbed once too and I felt terrible. I was told that I would get this zombie game after I paid money, but I ended up with a big mess and no money. Then when I tried to figure out what was going on, I was called a cunt, told to go back to playing FPS games, and told that I was the bane of all existence to gamers everywhere.
:lol:

http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainBinky
Dev Twitter said:
CaptainBinky Andy Hodgetts
Fucking amazing. Apparently, it's our fault for being burgled. Fuckers can keep their FPS's, what's the point? Fuckers.
:lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never buy an alpha/beta game. Seriously. Wonder if the same will happen with Grim Dawn.

Multi-headed Cow

I like the people saying "WELL YOU GOT A GAME WORTH $8 ANYWAY BRO". Try the free demo, add some entirely useless stats, and that's basically the difference between paid an unpaid.

Multi-headed Cow

titopei said:
muncher21 said:
titopei said:
dThunder said:
Oh god im reading through the reddit thread, it's nasty :shock:

*sigh* the next few weeks here are going to be fun.

Reddit is full of

"people get really angry about a person calling out a few thousand pedos so i wouldn't expect much sympathy from them"

"majority of them are middle class males in their 20s getting mad about $8 "

and

"pot of angsty teenagers wanting their eight dollars back "
And losers that like to suck notch's dick whenever he breaks his game.

Sounds legit.

Hahaha, Titopei being a moderator who was running around mobilizing the Zomboid defense force. Giving Notch shit about fucking up Minecraft is pretty hilarious coming from Zomboid fans.

Destroid

Arcane
Metro said:
Never buy an alpha/beta game. Seriously. Wonder if the same will happen with Grim Dawn.

It's the most powerful thing you can do to support development of the games you want.

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently some enterprising soul took some pictures before his twitterscape collapsed into the warp.
j0yyyx.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Destroid said:
Metro said:

It's the most powerful thing you can do to support development of the games you want.

Also the easiest way to get fucked out of your money. Plenty of solid indie games see the light of day without these pay before development models. And, in the case of Zomboid, not as if it helped the game get developed any faster. As MHC pointed out it going at a snail's pace prior this this, anyway. Or even Grim Dawn... that probably won't be out until 2013 at the earliest and those guys actually had experience on a published title. Isn't Minecraft still in alpha, too? Think Notch can't put out a release version because he's short on funds?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
At least Notch has a fully playable sandbox to play around in. He's a perfect example of how teh internet are a bunch of assholes though. A guy works on a lego like sandbox, tries to keep the community up to date, thing takes off, guy gets swamped in hatred. Seriously, wtf?

Multi-headed Cow

Minecraft's in "Beta" at the moment, which will be full launch version on 11/11/11. Unless he changed the date. Which he probably did. Because he's a monster.

But anyway, yeah. Even Minecraft alpha was way more of a game than Zomboid. And Minecraft alpha (Hell, even current Minecraft) isn't really much of a game. Not even counting the construction aspect, Minecraft alpha had more entertainment value from exploring the randomly generated worlds than the paid Zomboid pre-alpha thing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Trash said:
At least Notch has a fully playable sandbox to play around in. He's a perfect example of how teh internet are a bunch of assholes though. A guy works on a lego like sandbox, tries to keep the community up to date, thing takes off, guy gets swamped in hatred. Seriously, wtf?

Probably because he spends more time jetsetting around the world than developing the game people have already paid him money for...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Re: I loathe the 4chan generation.

Trash said:
Funny. That single post basically confirms what he says about people being assholes that kick you when you're down.
Well. Such a lack of professionalism deserves only to be mocked.

Multi-headed Cow

Metro said:
Trash said:

Probably because he spends more time jetsetting around the world than developing the game people have already paid him money for...
Make single new block, take three week vacation.

To his credit he's been active lately with the adventure update. Might not have as much content as I'd want and might be irritating how he's dribbling it out piecemeal, but I am glad he's working on the game. Probably won't ever be a first person roguelike like I wished when I first picked it up, but I've probably gotten my $13-15-whateveritwasduringalphadollars worth of entertainment just stacking virtual blocks for a few hours.

And finally here's some more Zomboid. http://www.theindiestone.com/lemmy/inde ... d-apology/
And a guy saying don't offer refunds http://theindiestone.com/community/view ... =20&t=4736

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Multi-headed Cow said:
Minecraft's in "Beta" at the moment, which will be full launch version on 11/11/11. Unless he changed the date.

Is that really the release date? Surprised Bethesda didn't also sue him for that too.

Multi-headed Cow

Jaesun said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Minecraft's in "Beta" at the moment, which will be full launch version on 11/11/11. Unless he changed the date.

Is that really the release date? Surprised Bethesda didn't also sue him for that too.
It was going to be the release date. Reason I wasn't sure is I believe I read he changed it due to not being able to book a convention center then. Guess I'll look it up real quick.

Ah, yeah. November 18th now.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
" My excuse is that who who lives in a secure building with two security doors and a yale locked front door expects to be burgled? We’ve recently moved to a MUCH more secure building, and that thought couldn’t be further from my mind. "

Goddamnit. Sad for these guys.

...but you know, even a guy like me makes daily online backups of the stuff he's working on.

ortucis

Prophet
I feel bad for the guy. I know how it feels when your hard work gets lost in a freak accident (in my case, HDD crash, fuck Seagate). In his case, he can't even recover the content back unless the cops catch the theif (unlikely) and get him his work back in less than a week.

This is a wakeup call to the rest of the developers as well. I bought CDRW to backup my development work on but have hardly done that myself (probably cause it's a long process).

I was thinking of getting a flash drive to make quick backups already. Reading Zomboid posts has hastened my purchase now. Thank you Lemmy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multi-headed Cow said:
To his credit he's been active lately with the adventure update. Might not have as much content as I'd want and might be irritating how he's dribbling it out piecemeal, but I am glad he's working on the game.

Well, sure, since Terraria released.

Multi-headed Cow

Just tried the beta of the alpha of the game or whatever the fuck you wanna call it (Pre-release version of alpha release. Derp) and it's unfortunately pretty shitty. Performance has gotten worse, even with no zombies around. Not sure if it's related to the new lighting or what, but even on "Medium" settings it was noticeably slower. Interface is still clunky and "Click item then click where to use it instead of doubleclick or right click". Spawned in a new map chunk which seemed more commercial district than the original area. There are now multiple chunks of separate areas, but when you zone between them there's a fairly significant load time. They also seem questionably linked together, since I followed a road off the edge of the map, and when it loaded in the new chunk I was standing in an incredibly thick forest. Trying to run back to the town didn't appear to work either, so I just stood in the forest until I starved to death after running through multiple chunks of thick woods. Also looks like you can't fight with your fists yet.

Eh. Still not feeling good about the $7 I spent on it. I guess since I'm committed I'm kinda SOL at this point so I certainly hope it improves, but for such a long time between updates and this is all they've got to show for it I'm not too pumped. By comparison, Rogue Survivor is a free roguelike being made by one dude and is already far better than Zomboid. If I wasn't so goddamn lazy I'd do a quick ironman Rogue Survivor LP for the Codex and get myself killed. Just the other day I played a game and avoided being murdered in my sleep by a biker gang (Waifu didn't though) only to be shot and killed in a basement by a starving woman who wanted my cans of beans.
http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Multi-headed Cow

Got a wild hair up my ass to check on this. Roughly 2 years have passed since they first announced it and had the playable alpha/demo thing. They're still delaying. Still not convinced it's not all an elaborate ruse. They're also calling the latest version "RC3" which would normally stand for "Release candidate 3", but since they claim to still be working on major systems (Things that game it a game, like gameplay) I can only assume they either don't know what release candidate means, or they plan on shitting the game out immediately after adding/overhauling everything that actually makes it a game. Neither of which really inspires me with confidence.

Still pissed at myself for buying this, but at least since it got Greenlit I'll presumably get a Steam key for a half-baked piss poor excuse for a game at some point. Years in the future.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They've obviously got no clue about how to work and actually finish a project like this. Upside being however that they are still working on it. If they keep it up we might actually get to see something worthwhile in a few years.

Wouldn't hold my breath though. I'd put money on them giving up halfway through and either just releasing a halfbaked 'release' or disappearing in the woods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom